The perfect premier league

TigerTedd

My first time posting on this forum. Love reading it though, I feel like I know everyone personally, like a weird stalker. Anyway, I saw another thread that made me think of something that I thought would make an interesting thread. It was about how rubbish some of the fixtures looked in the premier league this weekend. So, my question is, what 20 teams would make up the perfect premier league?

So here's my starter for 10, based on clubs with history, and at least two representatives from each major footballing city or region, so you'll have at least one or two juicy derbies each week.

1. Manchester United

2. Manchester City

3. Liverpool

4. Everton

5. Chelsea

6. Arsenal

7. Tottenham

8. West Ham

9. Newcastle

10. Middlesbrough

11. Sunderland

12. Aston Villa

13. Birmingham City

14. Wolves

15. Sheffield United

16. Sheffield Wednesday

17. Southampton

18. Portsmouth

19. Nottingham Forest

20. ... And of course the mighty Rams

To be honest, I thought that might be a no brainer, but it was harder than I thought, there are still some clubs there that are definitely making up the numbers, and that I really wouldn't give a toss about playing. But a few juicy fixtures nonetheless. Feel free to pick it apart and put it back together again.

And if any of you really old timers on here think teams like Preston have a history worth a damn, then feel free to make your case:)

PS please forgive any forum faux-pas, I haven't got a clue what I'm doing really.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was quite unsure about boro, so I'll take that one. And I can't believe I forgot about Leeds ('kin horrible team but undeniably large) Birmingham / wolves / west brom, they're all ***** to be fair, but I figured brums big enough for a couple of representatives. Are Norwich really that big? A fixture with Norwich doesn't really float my boat, although I saw a show real for them on football focus last week and they've had a few moments.

I'm having none of that. Who the hell are Wanderers? Just Wanderers, nothing else. It's amazing how many ***** clubs now have some pretty heroic pasts. Puts it in perspective when we always think we have a god given right to be eating at the top table.

I never knew Ipswich won a European cup though, you'd never know now (bit like forest). Interesting stuff though, thanks Cumbrian.

I do think this table should give a weighting to each honour though. I wouldn't put Leicester, with 3 league cups, anywhere near two championships and an fa cup. And florest in that table can generally just kiss my arse.

My first time posting on this forum. Love reading it though, I feel like I know everyone personally, like a weird stalker. Anyway, I saw another thread that made me think of something that I thought would make an interesting thread. It was about how rubbish some of the fixtures looked in the premier league this weekend. So, my question is, what 20 teams would make up the perfect premier league?

So here's my starter for 10, based on clubs with history, and at least two representatives from each major footballing city or region, so you'll have at least one or two juicy derbies each week.

1. of course the mighty Rams

2. Manchester City

3. Liverpool

4. Everton

5. Chelsea

6. Arsenal

7. Tottenham

8. West Ham

9. Newcastle

10. Middlesbrough

11. Sunderland

12. Aston Villa

13. Birmingham City

14. Wolves

15. Sheffield United

16. Sheffield Wednesday

17. Southampton

18. Portsmouth

19. Manchester United

20. ... And Notts Forest

I fixed that for you mate.

Now you mention it, I do remember that coming up when robbo passed away. I'm still not having them in a top 20 though, it's easy to win a European championship (if forest can do it, I can't count it as any sort of achievement).

And thanks for fixing that, Boycie. When I looked at the order of the final 20, I thought something wasn't quite right.

1. Manchester Utd

2. Manchester City

3 Liverpool

4 Everton

5 Arsenal

6 Spurs

7 Chelsea

8 Newcastle

9 WHU

10 Derby

11 Stoke

12 Wolves

13 Coventry

14 Villa

15 WBA

16 Sheff Utd

17 Leeds

18 Ipswich

19 Burnley

20 anyone else

In no particular order:

1. Manchester City

2. Manchester Utd

3. Liverpool

4. Everton

5. Arsenal

6. Spurs

7. Chelsea

8. Newcastle

9. West Ham

10. Derby County

11. Nottingham Forest

12. West Brom

13. Reading

14. Sheffield Wednesday

15. Sheffield Utd

16. Luton Town

17. Leeds

18. Aston Villa

19. Wolves

20. Leicester

1. Man Utd

2. Man City

3. Liverpool

4. Everton

5. Spurs

6. Arsenal

7. Chelsea

8. Villa

9. Newcastle

10. Sunderland

These are IMO the top 10 clubs in the PL.. The next batch is all personal choice.. I'd go for..

11. Leeds

12. Derby

13. Forest

14. Sheff Wed

15. Sheff Utd

16. Ipswich

17. Norwich

18. West Ham

19. Wolves

20. WBA

Teams that could be close include Brum, Burnley, Huddlesfield, Portsmouth, Southampton, Coventry, Stoke etc..

Then the likes of Blackburn, Bolton, Fulham, Reading, Hull, Palace etc.. all have recent history..

Conclusion: Impossible to decide.. Everyone deserves to be where they are now! The 20 as it is is the perfect PL, then it'll all change next season.

1. Manchester City

2. Manchester United

3. Chelsea

4. Newcastle United

5. Tottenham Hotspur

6. Liverpool

7. Arsenal

8. Norwich City

9. Aston Villa

10. WBA

11. Everton

12. Sunderland

13. Southampton

14. Leeds United

15. Derby County

16. Nottingham Forest

17. Huddersfield Town

18. Sheffield Wednesday

19. Preston North End

20. Carlisle United

The usual suspects, gotta have both Sheffield clubs and Stoke. Proper football clubs are the Sheffield lot. Even if it seems less so nowadays.

Like Daveo says.... You got to have Leeds. Horrible and hideous outfit that they are. But they do atleast get a reaction..... Eh Wigan? Zzz

Ipswich too. Norwich have good support so again it adds to the interest.

Forest and Derby.

Southampton for sure but that means you gotta have Pompey if it's going to be a heart pounding division. Am I wrong to think Shampton are far superior to pompey??

Suppose with Villa, WBA, Wolves in there you can make an allowance for Brum.

5 years ago I would never of said Stoke but they do add something. Atleast they arent just background like Bolton.

Leicester and Coventry?? Whatdya think? Another big rivalry!........ So they say

the perfect league.....let's call it Division 1 shall we...and let's not let Rupert get his dirty hands anywhere near it...

1. Derby

2. Southend

3. Blackpool

4. Brighton

5. Plymouth

6. Portsmouth

7. QPR

8. Everton

9. Wigan

10. Barnsley

11. Grimbsby

12. Newcastle

13. Rangers

14. Sheffield United

15. Sheffield Wednesday

15. Carlisle

16. Ipswich

17. Brentford

18. Orient

19. Crewe

20. Port Vale

Now, there ma friends are some great days out....

1. Manchester United

2. Manchester City

3. Liverpool

4. Everton

5. Newcastle United

6. Leeds United

7. Sheffield United

8. Sheffield Wednesday

9. Aston Villa

10. Wolverhampton Wanderers

11. Norwich City

12. Ipswich Town