If Clough gets another 3 years...

sideshowbob

I think I'll leave it at that for today, thanks for the debate and although we have come from different angles on this it's all interesting reading.

It's certainly been interesting, can't wait until the next accounts now. I think I might be missing Ramblur ( if you watching hope your getting better)

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's certainly been interesting, can't wait until the next accounts now. I think I might be missing Ramblur ( if you watching hope your getting better)

Will be asking TG about these when he gets round to ringing me. Shouldn't hold your breath waiting for them can give you a pretty good guess of when they will be published!

It's next march isn't it, when they get published. Might just try and enjoy the football.

The deadline is 31st March, so I'm guessing sometime around the 29th/30th but there is nothing to stop them publishing them earlier. Late publishing is normally a sign of holding on to bad news as long as possible!

The deadline is 31st March, so I'm guessing sometime around the 29th/30th but there is nothing to stop them publishing them earlier. Late publishing is normally a sign of holding on to bad news as long as possible!

There is no reason why they can't have been prepared and published by now, paying 25k for accounts and audit should put them right at the front of the queue. It makes sense from a planning point of view to get them done as soon after the soonest VAT after year end as you can.

There is no reason why they can't have been prepared and published by now, paying 25k for accounts and audit should put them right at the front of the queue. It makes sense from a planning point of view to get them done as soon after the soonest VAT after year end as you can.

I'm pretty sure the board will already know what the accounts show and will have factored that into future projections.

From an audit point of view there may be a few factors which make it easier to sign the accounts as late as possible but that is pure guesswork.

Financial mess? We have only a mortgage outstanding. Glick is trying to keep wages down but then faces a backlash from fans who want new signings. He is in a no win situation.

I agree we’re not in a financial mess. But it looks like running at a moderate loss is so scary for our wealthy owners that no new investment in the squad is possible. I’d understand it if it was the local butcher who owned the club – but not a couple of American billionaires. Where’s the ambition they showed when they first arrived?

It makes me chuckle to hear TG talking about the need to keep the wages down and the need for responsible financial governance. Much of the wage problem was caused by his funding of the PJ disaster. Not only that but he seemed to gamble everything on PJ taking them back into the PL straight away. There was no Plan B - except this endless penny pinching and cosy homilies about financial prudence.

I think a backlash from the fans is perfectly understandable. We get some cheap talk at season ticket renewal time, but no sign of any serious intent to fund a return to the PL. Even funding a challenge for the top 6 appears to depend on TG being able to get unwanted players off the books. Trouble is these players are unwanted for good reason. Other than Bywater, I’m not surprised they’ve proven hard to shift. Maybe the CEO of the club shouldn’t have been surprised by that either.

You have little faith in NC fair enough. He tried to build an attractive footballing team last season and look where that got us, now he has gone back to basics and is building a new team from the back. It may take time but maybe fans don't want to give him any more time.

I don't understand the rush to get into the Premier League, we will be completely out of our depth and will never compete for anything. Would rather spend time building a competitive team in this division.

If you have a suggestion for Mr Glick I suggest you send him an e-mail, I have done so and just the other day got a reply where he has asked for my phone number so he can call me to discuss the concerns that I have.

Your lack of urgency to get back to the PL dovetails nicely with the GSE strategy. It looks like the only way out of this second tier stagnation is if NC can build a competitive team by bringing on cheap players that he can sell for a really big profit. He might be able to do that on a regular basis – maybe not. But given the GSE promises and the wealth of our owners it’s hard to understand why Derby needs to be turned into an up market version of Crewe.

I agree we’re not in a financial mess. But it looks like running at a moderate loss is so scary for our wealthy owners that no new investment in the squad is possible. I’d understand it if it was the local butcher who owned the club – but not a couple of American billionaires. Where’s the ambition they showed when they first arrived?

It makes me chuckle to hear TG talking about the need to keep the wages down and the need for responsible financial governance. Much of the wage problem was caused by his funding of the PJ disaster. Not only that but he seemed to gamble everything on PJ taking them back into the PL straight away. There was no Plan B - except this endless penny pinching and cosy homilies about financial prudence.

I think a backlash from the fans is perfectly understandable. We get some cheap talk at season ticket renewal time, but no sign of any serious intent to fund a return to the PL. Even funding a challenge for the top 6 appears to depend on TG being able to get unwanted players off the books. Trouble is these players are unwanted for good reason. Other than Bywater, I’m not surprised they’ve proven hard to shift. Maybe the CEO of the club shouldn’t have been surprised by that either.

Your lack of urgency to get back to the PL dovetails nicely with the GSE strategy. It looks like the only way out of this second tier stagnation is if NC can build a competitive team by bringing on cheap players that he can sell for a really big profit. He might be able to do that on a regular basis – maybe not. But given the GSE promises and the wealth of our owners it’s hard to understand why Derby needs to be turned into an up market version of Crewe.

Of course we are in a financial mess we lost money in the last set of accounts and since then somewhere between 40 and 50% of turnover will have gone, we also take a pittance week to week on the gate so cash-flow must be an issue. The Yanks have had to put some serious dollar in to keep paying the bills if they hadn't done so how would we keep paying the PAYE and VAT when so much more has been spent than earned other than borrow. The major cost is wages and they have to get them down to an acceptable level before you can begin to move forward.

I agree the process is taking longer than it should have done but some of these guys are paid so much above their true ability that they can't be shifted and Savage was a big drain on resources. If you spend big money on a player then his wages will correspond so anybody who expects serious money to be spent on players in the near future is very misguided unless we make major sales, apart from Brayford in the near future that looks unlikely.

Some of the wastage though back end of the summer though has me really concerned as to are they ever going to get us back on an even keel.

I'm pretty sure the board will already know what the accounts show and will have factored that into future projections.

From an audit point of view there may be a few factors which make it easier to sign the accounts as late as possible but that is pure guesswork.

Possibly if they use the accountants to produce monthly figures but it is easier to audit closer to the year-end than the back end so long as all the detail is available.

The title is 'If Clough Gets Another Three Years God Help Us' (which I don't agree with anyway)

We've now gone on to PAYE, VAT, wages and year end accounts.

I sit opposite our accounts team at work, and if I wanted to hear about this I'd ask them - any chance we can stick to topic, and become a football forum again?

The title is 'If Clough Gets Another Three Years God Help Us' (which I don't agree with anyway)

We've now gone on to PAYE, VAT, wages and year end accounts.

I sit opposite our accounts team at work, and if I wanted to hear about this I'd ask them - any chance we can stick to topic, and become a football forum again?

It's all to do with why we can't afford new players. If you don't like discussing this key issue don't post.

Yeaah, wish they would all bore off.

None of them know the real truth.

Of course we know the real truth we can't buy new players because we have no money, unless you have rose tinted spectacles it is easy to see this. Reasons on this thread have been put forward as to why and whilst we are not inside the club we won't be far off the mark.

Of course we know the real truth we can't buy new players because we have no money, unless you have rose tinted spectacles it is easy to see this. Reasons on this thread have been put forward as to why and whilst we are not inside the club we won't be far off the mark.

I'd think what's closer to the mark would be that we do have money, but we aren't going to be irresponsible with it, like the PJ days.

I'd think what's closer to the mark would be that we do have money, but we aren't going to be irresponsible with it, like the PJ days.

The owners have money but it is clear they are only going to put what they have to in. The club itself still spends more than it earns, it is just a question of how much.

I don't know, our owners are billionaires but i think they are hoping we can get up on the cheap, maybe that is similar to other clubs maybe not.

Just because someone is classed as a billionaire, does not mean they have £1billion in cash to do whatever they want with. Classic examples Hicks and Gillette - two American mega rich businessmen who didnt have a pot to piss in.

Archived