Tom Naylor

Rampant Rob

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know why everyone thinks he is off in the summer. When has anyone from Derby County especially Clough said this.

If we had the experience midfielder the choices would be that one plus Ben Davies, Bryson, Ward and Bailey along with Green. Remember we needed the midfielder because by all accounts Green injury was serious and one that could have been out till the new year. We needed the midfielder as we only had 4 first team choice midfielders without one. Hendricks would have been used sparingly and would not have been first choice.

My argument for this is that Leacock, Bywater and Co we all know are surples to requirements. Hence Leacock never been near first team squad this year, Bywater and Pearson out on loan. Green was not given a squad number at beginning of season as no one knew how long he would be out for. From what I can gather he looked really happy to be playing and someone has said that he put a few crunching tackles in. Now is this something added to his game. He has a lot to prove not just at Derby but also in an attempt to get his Ireland place back before the European Championship.

I would play him with Hendricks whilst Bailey gets back to fitness and push Bryson back up front with Robinson personally

In respect of Paul Green just listened to Clough interview. Come January I think the decision on whether Green will remain will rest with him and what he wants. By the sounds he wants to focus on football but he is high earner and I think it will depend on his negotiations re contract. If he will full into line with the other players he will stop if not then he will go. Clough has said the same as my previous post he has the fact of Ireland qualifying and he will want to get into the squad

STAGS boss Paul Cox was today staying well out of the war of words sparked by Tom Naylor’s sudden departure to Derby County.

Mansfield had agreed a deal that would see Naylor join the Rams full-time in January. But, out of the blue, Naylor left early this week to join Derby on loan, sparking an angry outburst from Mansfield Town director Steve Hymas on fans forum web site Stagsnet, levelling various accusations at Naylor over the manner of his sudden departure.

They included allegeding Naylor had refusing to play another game for Mansfield and also that he feigned injury to avoid becoming cup-tied.

However, manager Paul Cox today stayed out of the furore, saying: “Tom Naylor’s move has been a long drawn-out affair if I’m honest so I am quite glad it’s done and dusted.

“We know where we are heading and Tom knows where he is heading and we wish him all the best.

“I don’t want to get involved in mud-slinging. I never read message boards and for me to comment would be a bit inappropriate.

“I have no power over what people’s opinions are and what they write on forums. Sometimes if you comment it can stir up a whirlwind. I am sure there are people on there that like me and others that don’t. I can’t change peoples opinions.”

Hymas today told Chad he was standing by his comments.

On the controversial forum posting, he had written: “Good luck to Tom, but there is a right way and a wrong way to leave a club.

“Tom said he would never pull on a Mansfield shirt again if we didn’t release him immediately.

“We gave him his first chance in professional football and he proclaimed to be a Stags fan. Refusing to play again is not the way it’s done.

“I fought hard and long with ex-managers to get him a game and this is the way we are repaid.

“I don’t care too much for Derby as they have been tapping him up for months through another ‘Stags legend’, Ivan Hollet.

“His head was turned and he even feigned injury against Fleetwood so he wouldn’t be cup tied. Look where that left us.

“I don’t really care if he is a success at Derby or not. I only care that Mansfield get promoted and he didn’t want to hang around and fight for the cause.

“ (He was) always injured over the last few months but, funnily enough, never too injured to go out on trial. I have lost a lot of respect for the boy over recent weeks.

“Don’t tread on everyone on the way up and you can always return on your way back down, is my motto. I’m glad he has gone now and we can move on.”

Hymas added today: “You don’t bite the hand that feeds.”

Naylor declined to make a comment on the accusations.

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town-fc/cox_stays_out_of_naylor_derby_departure_row_1_3979603

How is that reserving judgement?!

I've missed the words 'If true' just before the comma, too late to edit it now.

You'd have thought he'd have refuted the claims though wouldn't you, if someone had said something like this about you without any truth in it.

It's not going to affect my views of his performances of course, but if that's true, it's not a good character trait to have.

To be honest, this sounds like a load of rubbish given that the manager, Paul Cox said: "We're chuffed for Tom. He has been a dream to work with and is an honest boy". I'd imagine he knows the player far better than the director, and even it is true that Naylor refused to play for the club ever again, why would Cox compliment him so highly? Sounds like Hymas is having something of a bitch fit and trying to curry favour with Mansfield fans to me.

You'd have thought he'd have refuted the claims though wouldn't you, if someone had said something like this about you without any truth in it.

It's not going to affect my views of his performances of course, but if that's true, it's not a good character trait to have.

The problem with replying is that it starts to become a real war of words. I find it strange that it is a director coming out and saying this and not the manager or the chairman. May be sour grapes as it seems from his perspective it was him that gave him the chance to play and fought for him to be included.

The quote "I fought hard and long with ex-managers to get him a game and this is the way we are repaid."

Now did not the manager from the outset state that he was aware Naylor would leave and wanted it sorted out sooner rather than later so they could move on. May be it is they did not get the deal they wanted a bit like Shackell and Barnsley. I have a feeling there has been arguments at the club about wanting to keep him till January and play in FA cup as this generates money for small clubs and a good cup run could pay for their season overheads. It sounds like he is the target for any blame in this respect.

The manager wishes him luck and if as the director states that Derby have been tapping him up for months where is the complaint.

I am not paying any attention to this at present as you have one person in the club stating this and think it is bad form to post this view in a forum when others at the club especially more directly linked to him a playing sense are also not commenting on the outburst

Just seems like a very strong thing to come out with without any truth to it, you can be sued for thousands for that if the player wants to chase the comments down through the PFA.

Still, he looks a good player, aslong as he performs for Clough and doesn't do the same to us in a few years then i'll be happy.

Just seems like a very strong thing to come out with without any truth to it, you can be sued for thousands for that if the player wants to chase the comments down through the PFA.

Still, he looks a good player, aslong as he performs for Clough and doesn't do the same to us in a few years then i'll be happy.

And that could be the reason for not commenting. If he has reported it to the PFA then he will in all likelihood been told not to comment.

Point taken, but equally it's not in his best interests to get drawn into a war of words with his former employers either. He's signed, he's made the move, if I were him I'd do exactly the same - shut up and get on with my football.

You're absolutely right about the strength of the comments - they appeared potentially libellous if there is no proof to support them - and as Dav says above it may be that some kind of action is being taken behind the scenes, we don't know.

The best wya to kill a 'story' like this from Naylor's point of view is to say nothing - that way his former chairman has nowhere to go after his initial outburst.

And that could be the reason for not commenting. If he has reported it to the PFA then he will in all likelihood been told not to comment.

That is certainly possible, but usually the players then make a statement saying that they can't comment because as you say, it's being investigated.

I'll hold an open mind to it for now, I just really dislike that kind of (alledged) attitude.

Point taken, but equally it's not in his best interests to get drawn into a war of words with his former employers either. He's signed, he's made the move, if I were him I'd do exactly the same - shut up and get on with my football.

You're absolutely right about the strength of the comments - they appeared potentially libellous if there is no proof to support them - and as Dav says above it may be that some kind of action is being taken behind the scenes, we don't know.

The best wya to kill a 'story' like this from Naylor's point of view is to say nothing - that way his former chairman has nowhere to go after his initial outburst.

That would certainly explain it, if we hear from the PFA at all regarding the situation then that'll be it.

I'll wait to see the aftermath on this one, I won't make my mind up on this one until a few weeks have passed.

Archived