Rams plan Clough talks

davenportram

Exactly what it says

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7155279,00.html

Clough: Out of contract at the end of the season but talks are expected over an extension.

Derby County are keen to extend manager Nigel Clough's contract, but are not putting a timetable on agreeing a fresh deal.

Clough has been in charge at Pride Park since January 2009 and the former Burton boss' current contract expires at the end of the season.

The Rams have enjoyed a positive start to the new Championship campaign and chief executive Tom Glick has confirmed there will be talks regarding an extension.

"We are delighted with how the team has started the season," said Glick in the Derby Evening Telegraph.

"I think our commitment to Nigel has been on display for everyone to see for some time. He has been our guy and he continues to be our guy.

"What we certainly do not want to do is conduct any contract extension in public.

"We are all aware his contract is up at the end of the season and we have no intention of leaving it to next summer.

"I don't want to put a timetable on it. He and I have not put a timetable on it. We will be working together with him to hopefully extend him for some time to come."

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think they will wait to see if we make any improvment over this season then decide. The board seem to think they have backed him heavily this summer so I think they will be expecting at least top half, if we do our usual fall away around xmas again I can see no deal being on he table. Spin it the other way if we are near the top Clough will be requesting more pennies and a longer deal

I'm only a young Derby fan, can someone please tell me what a manager's contract extension is? Never heard of it before.

Saying you’ve given the manager a contract extension just means you’ve extended the contract of the manager.

Saying you’re “keen” to give the manager a contract extension, but have no “timetable on it”, just means the manager might not be getting a contract extension.

Saying you’ve given the manager a contract extension just means you’ve extended the contract of the manager.

Saying you’re “keen” to give the manager a contract extension, but have no “timetable on it”, just means the manager might not be getting a contract extension.

All the same, I can't believe we're even talking about it. Billy Davies is the only manager I remember having his contract extended, but wasn't he only signed for a year initially?

All the same, I can't believe we're even talking about it. Billy Davies is the only manager I remember having his contract extended, but wasn't he only signed for a year initially?

Billy? 1 year contract? behave, if that's true, I'll streak across the city ground pitch.

I just re-read Cloughs comments about the Academy.

He says it's a positive for whoevers here,

Does he think he might not be? Has he just been the name to buy them time?

The CLOUGH OUT! brigade has started already. I can't condone this sort of thing.

Archived