Rams plan Clough talks

davenportram

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think they will give him a 3 year deal, because they do have confidence in him. The big pay off doubts, I might be totally wrong here but I can't imagine money is his sole motivation.

He's been through enough in football to know that long term contracts are the same as short term contracts - if the club wants to end it - they will whether he's got a year or 10 years.

I'd also expect him to stick to any wage cap the rest of the club are under. So cant imagine the pay off or indeed his salary would be massive. In fact, I wouldnt be at all surprised if he is paid quite a bit less than some of the players. Again I might be wrong.

I'd say he's pretty comfortable with it all, not sure if he's ever needed to push a board to get a contract as a manager - at Burton I think he had a rolling gentlemans agreement and I'm not sure it was ever for longer than a year. Maybe someone who knows the brewers better than me will confirm.

If I was Tom Glick and Andy Appleby I'd give him a 7 year deal to take him to the 10 year point - then he can take over at England for a few years before a return to the rams later on in life :-)

If he only gets a year extension it won't bother me (and probably not him either) one bit. I think he's around for a while longer yet no matter what's in the contract.

12 month rolling contracts seem popular with chairmen these days.

Well its because chairmen woke up and realised that'd they'd be paying out huge compensation packages if they sacked a manager in their first year out of 3 or 4 :p

I would think they will give him a 3 year deal, because they do have confidence in him. The big pay off doubts, I might be totally wrong here but I can't imagine money is his sole motivation.

He's been through enough in football to know that long term contracts are the same as short term contracts - if the club wants to end it - they will whether he's got a year or 10 years.

I'd also expect him to stick to any wage cap the rest of the club are under. So cant imagine the pay off or indeed his salary would be massive. In fact, I wouldnt be at all surprised if he is paid quite a bit less than some of the players. Again I might be wrong.

I'd say he's pretty comfortable with it all, not sure if he's ever needed to push a board to get a contract as a manager - at Burton I think he had a rolling gentlemans agreement and I'm not sure it was ever for longer than a year. Maybe someone who knows the brewers better than me will confirm.

If I was Tom Glick and Andy Appleby I'd give him a 7 year deal to take him to the 10 year point - then he can take over at England for a few years before a return to the rams later on in life :-)

If he only gets a year extension it won't bother me (and probably not him either) one bit. I think he's around for a while longer yet no matter what's in the contract.

What has he achieved so far to warrant a 3 year deal, let alone a 7 year one.

Also don't be fooled by the he's our man diatribe spouted by Glick. If the mood changed they would drop him like a stone. That's the way American's work praise when in office but as soon as you have got to your time out you go.

What has he achieved so far to warrant a 3 year deal, let alone a 7 year one.Also don't be fooled by the he's our man diatribe spouted by Glick. If the mood changed they would drop him like a stone. That's the way American's work praise when in office but as soon as you have got to your time out you go.

This is just the type of comment that really makes me frustrated. Fans at the moment are sooooo blinkered since the prem season. Clough has been blamed for everything wrong at the club. The fact that he came to club after the premiership season, after all the yanks money that was there was wasted by Jewell and he left of his own free will when the 'board was backing him' because he had no bottle and knew he had screwed up. Of course all of this is his fault.

If fans can not see the amount of players that have left the Club who were 1st squad players that were signed by Jewell and BD in the 2 years of clough being here are blind. Only Commons and Hulse were the players fans moaned about in all of them (where are Hulse and Commons now because neither are lighting up games at present are they). The numbers out and in are disruptive. He has kept us up. The academy team is producing players. He identifies players which hardly cost owt and they produce. People say when he will have money he will only waste it. Since being here he has spent around the £1million mark in single/joint transactions 3 times and brought 4 players.

Barker, Shackell are the individual deals and then there is Brayford and Bailey he brought at the combine price.

Now please surely the argument of when he has money he wastes is now old and can not be supported becuase not one of these players has been a waster. Barker player of season in first season, Brayford and Bailey were player of the year and young player of the year respectively and Shackell heading the same in respect of player of the year. So stop talking crap there.

Then there is Fielding, Ward, bryson, ben davies for the odd 300k-500k deals.

You have the academy producing players like O'Brian, Hendrick, Ball and there is reported more coming through the ranks.

Certain fans expect the messiahs son to come back in walk on bloody water break some bread and feed the 25000-30000 with winning football from the first day and because he has not then he is not hhis dads son. He is not his dad but he is turning things around and you only have to look at the start we have had against teams we were not expecting to win.

So if they have offered him a 3 yr deal fantastic and I hope he signs it. If he reads comments of blinkered fans who can not look outside their little bubbles and expectations of immediate change etc etc then he won't sign. Sorry rant over just REALLLLLLY FED UP OF THE SAME CARP where they see only negative and can not see the positive.

This is just the type of comment that really makes me frustrated. Fans at the moment are sooooo blinkered since the prem season. Clough has been blamed for everything wrong at the club. The fact that he came to club after the premiership season, after all the yanks money that was there was wasted by Jewell and he left of his own free will when the 'board was backing him' because he had no bottle and knew he had screwed up. Of course all of this is his fault.

If fans can not see the amount of players that have left the Club who were 1st squad players that were signed by Jewell and BD in the 2 years of clough being here are blind. Only Commons and Hulse were the players fans moaned about in all of them (where are Hulse and Commons now because neither are lighting up games at present are they). The numbers out and in are disruptive. He has kept us up. The academy team is producing players. He identifies players which hardly cost owt and they produce. People say when he will have money he will only waste it. Since being here he has spent around the £1million mark in single/joint transactions 3 times and brought 4 players.

Barker, Shackell are the individual deals and then there is Brayford and Bailey he brought at the combine price.

Now please surely the argument of when he has money he wastes is now old and can not be supported becuase not one of these players has been a waster. Barker player of season in first season, Brayford and Bailey were player of the year and young player of the year respectively and Shackell heading the same in respect of player of the year. So stop talking crap there.

You have the academy producing players like O'Brian, Hendrick, Ball and there is reported more coming through the ranks.

Certain fans expect the messiahs son to come back in walk on bloody water break some bread and feed the 25000-30000 with winning football from the first day and because he has not then he is not hhis dads son. He is not his dad but he is turning things around and you only have to look at the start we have had against teams we were not expecting to win.

So if they have offered him a 3 yr deal fantastic and I hope he signs it. If he reads comments of blinkered fans who can not look outside their little bubbles and expectations of immediate change etc etc then he won't sign. Sorry rant over just REALLLLLLY FED UP OF THE SAME CARP where they see only negative and can not see the positive.

BRILLIANT POST !!!!

I'm particularly fed up with all the "Cloughs obviously fallen out with xxxx"

What a load of garbage - just because some players aren't included in the first team squad doesn't mean he's fallen out with them. And there are only 17 places anyway, so quite a few will miss out.

Dave Martin and Thomas Cywka are prime examples - now back playing for the reserves after injury - and if they improve in training they will be considered.

Bywater, Leacock and Pearson are going to move on at some point because of money and possibly also because they haven't performed to required standards.

Give the man a contract and lets keep some stability.

*slow clap*

BRILLIANT POST !!!!

I'm particularly fed up with all the "Cloughs obviously fallen out with xxxx"

What a load of garbage - just because some players aren't included in the first team squad doesn't mean he's fallen out with them. And there are only 17 places anyway, so quite a few will miss out.

Dave Martin and Thomas Cywka are prime examples - now back playing for the reserves after injury - and if they improve in training they will be considered.

Bywater, Leacock and Pearson are going to move on at some point because of money and possibly also because they haven't performed to required standards.

Give the man a contract and lets keep some stability.

I agree with everything you put - except theres only 16 places to play for. We can only name 5 subs now 11+5=16

Also don't be fooled by the he's our man diatribe spouted by Glick. If the mood changed they would drop him like a stone. That's the way American's work praise when in office but as soon as you have got to your time out you go.

what a BRILLIANT post..!! What has he acheived....well, we are currently sitting 3rd in the league after the best start to a season in 2 million years... so far so bad this season.....

As for the "if the mood changed they would drop him like a stone" of COURSE they would....as would ANY board in the country.....Arsene Wenger is living proof of this.... and to say it is "how American's work" how pathetic do you have to be..? Please list me examples you have of "American's working like this"....they are just humans you know...America isn't on Saturn..

I agree he had a very difficult job when he came in but league positions and apart from a couple of months Commons inspired performances last year general performance has not improved by enough to warrant a further long-term contract. He has not been helped too much by Glick in that the financial state of the club is still poor in spite of what Glick tells us. Losses continue to be made and we are being propped up by the American Capital input.

If he does better this year then fair enough offer a new deal, at the moment he seems paralysed by negativity. The 7 defenders at home against a very beatable Burnley team was a major worry, carry on like that and we won't win too many more matches.

The signings of Kilbane, Legzdins and Riggott concern me I can't see any reasoning and value of any of these, wasting scarce resources.

what a BRILLIANT post..!! What has he acheived....well, we are currently sitting 3rd in the league after the best start to a season in 2 million years... so far so bad this season.....

As for the "if the mood changed they would drop him like a stone" of COURSE they would....as would ANY board in the country.....Arsene Wenger is living proof of this.... and to say it is "how American's work" how pathetic do you have to be..? Please list me examples you have of "American's working like this"....they are just humans you know...America isn't on Saturn..

We have played 5 games Coventry were near the top at this stage last year and where did they end up, we were fourth in December and where did we end up. You can't really start to look at the prospects for the season until at least 10 to 12 games have been played. So far are we performing as if we will stay anywhere near the top I would say not. We were very fortunate to win the first two games, played well to win against a one-dimensional Blackpool side and most worryingly for me played in a very negative fashion against an injury ravaged Doncaster and a very beatable Burnley who lacked experience at the back.

Arsene Wenger has been at Arsenal 15 years so I am not sure what you are talking about there. The point I am making is that American's talk super positively in public that is the way they operate and what they say about the manager illustrates this, however without warning that could change very quickly and if we lose a few games in a row I think you can take he is our man with a pinch of salt.

Ledzgins provides a back up keeper he trusts and hasn't faked injury in a match.

Kilbane - we had no fit left back at the start of the season and you can only make half season loans during the transfer window if you are a above conference level

Kilbane very costly option likely to cost 200-250k in wages for the loan period for a guy not good enough to play for Hull City, total panic signing after Roberts was injured.

Legzdins- Fair point but get Bywater off the books first as you have an employee doing nothing who is likely to be on 5 figure wages and now an extra cost is incurred with an extra keeper.

No wonder we keep bleeding money with that sort of economic thinking in the club.

Maybe I'm a little different to you in that I didn't expect a miracle from day one and I'm getting what i did expect, gradual progress and getting the foundations of the club right.

I then break it down into little blocks of success, the first away win here since 1972, the first time we've beaten so and so twice away from home since 1972, the longest winning home sequence since 1972, the best start to a season since 1236... the first time we've had an england international since blah blah blah...maybe for some those little successes are not enough, but when you've had no success ever (apart from a few glorious years under his dad and a few decent years with others) then success is success.

Don't forget that Paul Jewell actually left the club, he quit cos he couldnt turn it around, i think he even admitted that himself..he was shot to pieces mentally when he left.

We're not Man Utd, but despite what some say, we have had some things to smile about in the last 3 years - especially if you look for the positives instead of denying them constantly.

in 7 years if he is still here, we will be an established premier league side.

If he isn't still here - I'm not so sure. That's why I'd give him 7 years.

We have played 5 games Coventry were near the top at this stage last year and where did they end up, we were fourth in December and where did we end up. You can't really start to look at the prospects for the season until at least 10 to 12 games have been played. So far are we performing as if we will stay anywhere near the top I would say not. We were very fortunate to win the first two games, played well to win against a one-dimensional Blackpool side and most worryingly for me played in a very negative fashion against an injury ravaged Doncaster and a very beatable Burnley who lacked experience at the back.

Arsene Wenger has been at Arsenal 15 years so I am not sure what you are talking about there. The point I am making is that American's talk super positively in public that is the way they operate and what they say about the manager illustrates this, however without warning that could change very quickly and if we lose a few games in a row I think you can take he is our man with a pinch of salt.

the point i was making about Arsene is that....no one's job is safe...no one at all....he has revolutionised Arsenal and is now on the edge of being sacked, so to say that it might change with Clough, because we have American owners is completly ridiculous, mush the same as saying that Americans talk super positive in public and stab you in the back, you are being completely foolish. O f course if we lose a few games on the trot he will be under pressure, but guess what, if Kenny Dalglish loses 10 on the trot, he will be sacked, if Ally McCoist loses 5 or 6 he will be sacked....and they are LEGENDS at their respective clubs.

Stop talking nonsense about the owners, just because they are from a different country to you....any idea how xenophobic and racist it makes you sound.?

Archived