Bloomfield

ianm

Great start to the season but for those who can't always go Radio Derby is now the only place to keep up to date with the Ram's.

This being the case RD has a duty to get the best possible commentary team in place, not a guy who comes across as he has never kicked a ball in his life and has no basic tactical knowledge of the game he is reporting on. It is time a proper experienced man was hired and the people of Derbyshire treated with the respect they deserve not a guy who neccessarily works full time for the BBC, constantly plugging their programmes.

This policy since the great Graham Richards hung up the microphone has not worked Ross Fletcher was OK but no better than that, certainly not as good as he thought he was but Bloomfield is dire. Also Rodger, who would otherwise be ideal is compromised by being so close to the club in his summarising role, Darren Wassall was excellent as was Gary Rowett at the job before moving back into the game perhaps somebody else could fill the void.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't be such a misery....why shouldn't the commentary be from a fan's perspective

....and anyway Ed Dawes has done some of the recent ones.

For what it's worth I actually think Bloomers is a very capable commentator. He's clearly very knowledgeable about the game and about the club and that comes across every game.

Comparing him to Graham Richards is unfair, Richards was a DCFC legend. But Bloomfield is doing a cracking job and I enjoy listening to his match analysis and commentary. Keep it up

actually i quite like him too...

he does his research...he makes the odd mistake but....he doesn't get opinionated like GR, he doesn't get involved in silly spats like CG....he seems like a nice guy / derby fan / professional....quite pleasant to listen to. Not a screamer.

Lets face it most commentators get on your nerves.....especially Guy Mowbray.....with their verbal diarrhea, prattle, hype, diatribe, pseudo-expertise, exaggerated over reactions....

Have they dropped that awful woman off MOTD?

actually i quite like him too...

he does his research...he makes the odd mistake but....he doesn't get opinionated like GR, he doesn't get involved in silly spats like CG....he seems like a nice guy / derby fan / professional....quite pleasant to listen to. Not a screamer.

Lets face it most commentators get on your nerves.....especially Guy Mowbray.....with their verbal diarrhea, prattle, hype, diatribe, pseudo-expertise, exaggerated over reactions....

Have they dropped that awful woman off MOTD?

He's a Shrewsbury fan ain't he?

For what it's worth I actually think Bloomers is a very capable commentator. He's clearly very knowledgeable about the game and about the club and that comes across every game.

Comparing him to Graham Richards is unfair, Richards was a DCFC legend. But Bloomfield is doing a cracking job and I enjoy listening to his match analysis and commentary. Keep it up

Kowledgeable? Not long ago in one of his commentaries he did not know you can't be offside off a throw-in. It is obvious he reads up a lot on the stats to make up for his lack of basic knowledge on football, I may be wrong but he comes across as a guy who has never kicked a ball in his life and his interview again with Nigel Clough on Saturday was embarrassing, good job Nigel was in a good mood with the ridiculous point about his job being easy.

It is fair that we compare him with Graham Richards because he is doing the same job and the people of Derbyshire should have the highest possible quality in this position. Finally if you enjoy his performance all I can say is you must be easily pleased but it takes all opinions to make a world or whatever the saying is.

He's quite boring though isn't he?

I listen only very rarely, but when I do, he just seems so tedious, never getting excited about a goal or a chance or anything like that. I suppose it's down to what style you like. If you like a Murray Walker/Graham Richards/David Coleman type - sometimes wrong, always opinionated and interesting to listen to then you'll be disappointed.

If you like the homogenous, "safe" commentator like a Bloomfield/Steve Wilson/Guy Mowbray who will tell you what's going on and describe it well enough, but in a fashion that's likely to send you to sleep then I suppose he fits that role perfectly.

Plus I don't like his voice/accent.

I agree with all that particularly the posh boy BBC accent, which would be fine if he had the descriptive mastery of the English Language and ability to communicate the atmosphere and flow of the match. However he is big on the cliche's and meaningless trivia and particularly stats and most irritating of all numerous plugs for Match of the day and the dreadful Football League Show.

When Graham Richards was on you knew as soon as you turned the radio how Derby were doing, with the tone of the commentary he did not need to tell you the score.

I agree we will never get anybody as good as Graham Richards but equally we should be getting somebody more capable than Bloomfield.

Charles Collins who does Burton matches would be better, or what about making Colin Gibson earn his money and take over the commentary.

Starting to follow Derby during Graham Richards' tenure at the mic has spoiled a lot of us I think. How do you go about replacing the irreplaceable.....?!

Here, here. That man is a legend...

I don't mind Bloomfield, he's a little monotone but he'd benefit from having someone a little more extrovert than Roger Davis next to him. Talk about dull, at least before Ted McMinn got all Bertie Big Balls about his pay packet the banter was good, same goes for Sturridge & Gary Rowett...

It is fair that we compare him with Graham Richards because he is doing the same job and the people of Derbyshire should have the highest possible quality in this position. Finally if you enjoy his performance all I can say is you must be easily pleased but it takes all opinions to make a world or whatever the saying is.

Why? we have no more right than peope from Shrewsbury or people from Plymouth. A very arrogant opinion i feel.

As for the commentating itself, i actually quite like him, and he has always had time when I have emailed him about the club.

obviously never going to match Mr Richards.....but then again...no one ever will.

Talk about dull, at least before Ted McMinn got all Bertie Big Balls about his pay packet the banter was good, same goes for Sturridge & Gary Rowett...

I thought that Rowett was very good. The problem I had with Sturridge was that out of every three words he spoke, two of them were 'ya know'......:rolleyes:

Bloomfield makes loads of mistakes, rodge has to correct him on many occasions and he doesn't get excited. He also just states the obvious and repeats himself. Nice bloke yes, good commentator No. Ed Dawes is much better as is Ross Fletcher but he does 5 live now.

Why? we have no more right than peope from Shrewsbury or people from Plymouth. A very arrogant opinion i feel.

As for the commentating itself, i actually quite like him, and he has always had time when I have emailed him about the club.

obviously never going to match Mr Richards.....but then again...no one ever will.

On the first point I never said we did, however due to the huge interest in the club, which goes right to the North of Derbyshire Radio Derby get a lot of listeners out of the club and should be getting in the best calibre of matchday broadcasters possible.

Since Graham Richards retired they have gone with a policy of adding existing employees to the football. Fletcher was helped by having charismatic people alongside him to which he had a rapport and a bit of banter, which allowed him to get away from his poor commentary skills. Bloomfield was thrown in out of his depth and frankly has never got any better. The fact that he tries to be Mr nice guy and replies to fans on Twitter and e-mail should not detract from the fact that he does not have the detailed football acumen to do the job. To be fair if anybody has ever listened to the daily show he presents on RD that is pretty awful as well, like pretty much all RD at the present but that is another issue.

On the first point I never said we did, however due to the huge interest in the club, which goes right to the North of Derbyshire Radio Derby get a lot of listeners out of the club and should be getting in the best calibre of matchday broadcasters possible.

there isn't HUGE interest in the club, only in Derbyshire is there, just like there is HUGE interest in Plymouth for Plymouth and HUGE interest in Macclesfield for Macclesfield.

I am sure Radio Derby are very happy with who they have behind the mic, or they would get rid of him.

We have no right to better than the rest commentating, we are a second division team, that's all.

Since Graham Richards retired they have gone with a policy of adding existing employees to the football. Fletcher was helped by having charismatic people alongside him to which he had a rapport and a bit of banter, which allowed him to get away from his poor commentary skills. Bloomfield was thrown in out of his depth and frankly has never got any better. The fact that he tries to be Mr nice guy and replies to fans on Twitter and e-mail should not detract from the fact that he does not have the detailed football acumen to do the job. To be fair if anybody has ever listened to the daily show he presents on RD that is pretty awful as well, like pretty much all RD at the present but that is another issue.

Simple solution for you if you are that distressed about the Bloomfield commentating. Listen to the games on the Rams Player but opt for the opposition commentary. Personally, I think he does a reasonable job and it may well end up with you appreciating him.

Archived