Bloomfield

ianm

There is proportionately more interest here than the places you mention as this is a football area. I have never said we deserve better than the rest commentating, just better than we have.

As for Radio Derby being happy with who they have, yes I am sure they are because right through the day they have people on who they are confident won't upset or offend anybody but does this make the best Radio I would say not.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Bloomfield is decent and I genuinely believe he works hard, he works for the radio station and one of his tasks is doing the Derby games, with Roger Davies. I think it is sensible having someone with a level head doing the game, if we had a fan that couldn't stop shouting, it would be called unprofessional and annoying, whilst because we have someone that doesn't do this it's monotone and boring, I agree with his stand points on many issues around the club whereas Roger Davies would have you believe we should have a devine right to be in the top 6.. of the premiership, if you listen to him.

Simple solution for you if you are that distressed about the Bloomfield commentating. Listen to the games on the Rams Player but opt for the opposition commentary. Personally, I think he does a reasonable job and it may well end up with you appreciating him.

I am not distressed in the least just pointing out in my opinion and I am far from alone on this he is not up to it and should not be doing the job.

Frankly I rarely listen to RD anymore apart from the Colin Gibson 5-6 slot, mainly to hear the interview with the manager but with him having more holidays than a Scouse Schoolteacher Bloomfield often hijacks this.

This policy since the great Graham Richards hung up the microphone has not worked Ross Fletcher was OK but no better than that, certainly not as good as he thought he was but Bloomfield is dire. Also Rodger, who would otherwise be ideal is compromised by being so close to the club in his summarising role, Darren Wassall was excellent as was Gary Rowett at the job before moving back into the game perhaps somebody else could fill the void.

How many years did Graham Richards do the commentary for?

Ross Fletcher was very good and like mentioned already is now working for 5 live. He has done commentary’s for them this year, so must have something in him.

Bloomfield has vastly improved. I remember a comment from Fletcher saying it takes about 3 years to get to grips with commentating on football matches. Well I think this is Bloomers 3rd year and he's fine.

I'm sure the BBC don't pay vast amounts of money and they do the job more because they love the job. I for one say well done to BBC Radio Derby and their team and the longer Bloomers goes on, the more he will improve (Top man as well).

bloomfield does alright, he does have a bit of a monotone and his vocabulary is a bit flat and stuck to the basics but then again would you want a wide array of vocabulary in a commentary of a football match? although he isn't great he for me is good enough.

You should listen to other local commentary on games, blimey Grimsby Town have 2 old blokes that sound like they are having a convasation about the price of sprouts at the bus stop.

When Rams Player was having a few dodgy spells I'd listen to other clubs commentary and it was dire.

Bloomers is alright, always willing to talk to the fans on Twitter as well.

Bloomers is perfectly capable and a good listen. Mark Vesty and Ed Dawes also do a great job when they step in. Granted Bloomers may not contray his excitement as much as other commentators (even Ed Dawes against Blackpool made it sounds like thrilling end-to-end stuff whereas the reports I've read suggests that wasn't the case) but he does well to get across what is happening on the pitch and that's the mark of a good commentator. And so what he's not a Derby fan - he did a sterling job with the Shrewsbury game when all he probably wanted to do was celebrate. I'm sure I read somewhere that Graham Richards hasn't been back to a Derby game since he retired and goes to watch Brum now instead.

... Saying that though, I do miss the Richards-isms from yesteryear. My favourite was "He went down like a chicken sandwich!". Murray Walker-esque.

I dont like listening to commentary that is biased to either side, Bloomfield is very fair in the assessment of the game imo.

The bloke on ramsplayer who does the commentary of the entire match highlights, not sure if he does every game but i watched the Blackpool one, and he was ridiculously one sided to us. When a Derby player closed someone down he made out as if he'd just won the World Cup, or a misplaced pass was a great effort and very unlucky.

How many years did Graham Richards do the commentary for?

Ross Fletcher was very good and like mentioned already is now working for 5 live. He has done commentary’s for them this year, so must have something in him.

Bloomfield has vastly improved. I remember a comment from Fletcher saying it takes about 3 years to get to grips with commentating on football matches. Well I think this is Bloomers 3rd year and he's fine.

I'm sure the BBC don't pay vast amounts of money and they do the job more because they love the job. I for one say well done to BBC Radio Derby and their team and the longer Bloomers goes on, the more he will improve (Top man as well).

Ross Fletcher was certainly not very good, he got by on banter with the co-presenter his actual commentary and knowledge were pretty poor, he did the thing a lot of the new breed of commentators on 5 Live do he got excited when there was not a lot to get excited about at the wrong points. The guy they have on now Murray is the worst at that. Working for 5 Live means nothing apart from Alan Green, who can convey the mood of the match they are bland, full of cliche's and stats offering no more insight than the average fan already knows.

How has Bloomfield improved he still comes over as somebody who has never kicked a ball in his life, who despite his posh accent is no great orator. The point I have made he doesn't do it because he loves it he does it because he was already employed by the BBC and there was a slot for him after Fletcher moved on. In this job there is no need for a BBC employee to do it, Graham Richards did it as a hobby, never was he a BBC employee.

If a BBC man had to do it, surely it should be Colin Gibson, who has a much greater knowledge of football.

I dont like listening to commentary that is biased to either side, Bloomfield is very fair in the assessment of the game imo.

The bloke on ramsplayer who does the commentary of the entire match highlights, not sure if he does every game but i watched the Blackpool one, and he was ridiculously one sided to us. When a Derby player closed someone down he made out as if he'd just won the World Cup, or a misplaced pass was a great effort and very unlucky.

Sounds like Matt McCann, likes to compare our players to Barca and Real Madrid players. Was like it throughout the pre-season games on Rams Player, only listened to the first couple of games then gave up.

I don't quite agree with you on this. When I listen to the commentary he seems to sound anxious every time the opposition have the ball and makes it sound like the next pass/move is likely to be a goal. With the Rams he doesn't sound the same. Makes listening quite anxious in other words and not in keeping with the match when later watched.:(

How has Bloomfield improved he still comes over as somebody who has never kicked a ball in his life, who despite his posh accent is no great orator. The point I have made he doesn't do it because he loves it he does it because he was already employed by the BBC and there was a slot for him after Fletcher moved on. In this job there is no need for a BBC employee to do it, Graham Richards did it as a hobby, never was he a BBC employee.

If a BBC man had to do it, surely it should be Colin Gibson, who has a much greater knowledge of football.

This is all your opinion.

You say he is no great orator despite his "posh accent" (no idea why that's relevant but there we go) but do you need to be to be a football commentator?

As for "coming across as somebody who has never kicked a ball in his life", I massively disagree. For me, he actually comes across as very knowledgeable of the game and especially the club. And besides, even if he hadn't kicked a ball in his life, he has Roger Davies next to him. As far as I'm aware, he's kicked a fair few and he's there to provide the detail and analysis only a former pro can provide.

Also, Bloomfield has made the phrase "turn on a sixpence" a catchphrase in our house.

As for Gibson, I think he's much more suited to his current role. I wasn't his biggest fan but he's grown on me in the last year or so.

You should listen to other local commentary on games, blimey Grimsby Town have 2 old blokes that sound like they are having a convasation about the price of sprouts at the bus stop.

When Rams Player was having a few dodgy spells I'd listen to other clubs commentary and it was dire.

Bloomers is alright, always willing to talk to the fans on Twitter as well.

Argh!!

Completely agree.

When Hull played us at their place i listened to the Hull commentary.

OMG! Bloomfield is bloody immense compared to that drivel. They seemed to forget they were on radio. Telling you who had the ball, but not where. Then one of them said "*******" by accident and the next 10-15 mins was ruined with laughter. Hilarious. Zzzz

I listened to another one once too. Two blokes just discussing the teams season and player performances so far in the year. WHILE THE MATCH WAS GOING ON IN THE BACKGROUND!!

Couldn't believe it. They weren't talking while there were dull periods. The whole game was like that and they only stopped when there were golden chances. No indication of who's playing well, where the ball is, which team is on top, who's looking weak. Just basically recapping the season and what sort of changes might happen.

Can't remember who is was. A part of me wants to say Ipswich Town? Not sure.

GR was a masterclass. Bloomfield isn't anywhere near as good. But he's far better than the few i've heard. Just talks about the weather too much :mad:

Aww mate,

That commentator, is it the DCFCTV thingy one? I no like.

Still, rather listen to that than goal music.

Goal Music.

For tinpot clubs.

Cheers Derby. :rolleyes:

This is all your opinion.

You say he is no great orator despite his "posh accent" (no idea why that's relevant but there we go) but do you need to be to be a football commentator?

As for "coming across as somebody who has never kicked a ball in his life", I massively disagree. For me, he actually comes across as very knowledgeable of the game and especially the club. And besides, even if he hadn't kicked a ball in his life, he has Roger Davies next to him. As far as I'm aware, he's kicked a fair few and he's there to provide the detail and analysis only a former pro can provide.

Also, Bloomfield has made the phrase "turn on a sixpence" a catchphrase in our house.

As for Gibson, I think he's much more suited to his current role. I wasn't his biggest fan but he's grown on me in the last year or so.

He is knowledgeable on the stats and cliche's he's read up on but last season he didn't even know you can't be offside off a throw in and if you really know your football, intuition tells you he hasn't a clue what he is on about. OK Roger is there but a really good commentator like Alan Green or Graham Richards can really convey the atmosphere and feel of the match to the listener Bloomfield will never be able to do this.

As for other stations been worse I can't imagine any being much worse but the coverage both Forest and Notts County get are much better with a better standard of commentary team on Radio Nottingham. The Notts County guy is outstanding.

Well you must be easily pleased.

Must make me another one who is easily pleased then as I really enjoy him on the commentry.

I cant stand some of the stuff Roger Davis comes out with even though he was an ex~ player< he is a right yes man for the board he wont say a thing against them. Gary Rowett was a lot better had the same kind of Knowledge but was not scared to voice a proper opinion.

Must make me another one who is easily pleased then as I really enjoy him on the commentry.

I cant stand some of the stuff Roger Davis comes out with even though he was an ex~ player< he is a right yes man for the board he wont say a thing against them. Gary Rowett was a lot better had the same kind of Knowledge but was not scared to voice a proper opinion.

The gentleman doing the commentary on Rams Player is superb in my mind.

Of course he goes way over the top on occasions, East Kent - I agree it was a bit mental at Blackpool. The way he was describing it, our lads would have won have 6 champions League titles and won world war 2 on their own in ten minutes.

It was hilarious when I watched the game later!

I watch a lot of rams player though and you can see that he is quite close to the club and to the players in particular. You can tell he really cares and you can also tell that he's got access to many areas your usual journo wouldn't.

The players are relaxed and open around him. But you're definitely not going to get an unbiased view from him.

He's come out with some belters lately, he's stark raving bonkers as well and I also think he's one of the reasons NC has been a bit more positive in his interviews, the bloke gets so excited it's hard not to respond positively.

I think that will be the tough part for all of us. not getting too carried away!!

PS: Another thing - if more who posted on here, watched the interviews on RamsPlayer, the doubts about NC"s motivational/man management ability would be gone.

PPS: Colin Bloomfield is harmless enough.

Archived