Is Nigel Having A Go At The Board?

of course it was ambitious, however how many clubs sign players that there is no press on? local or national? also i think we have a way of targeting certain players in the way we don't give up on them until they are a) sold to someone else or b) kept at the club in question, and then we move onto someone else.

I give my example of waghorn, it is quite clear we have been targeting him this summer, but it didn't seem to occur to anyone the need to move on to another striker.

Kilbane was first mentioned today and signed today, and I would assume the deal has been in the pipeline for a few days.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brighton on one player.

West Ham

Hull

Ipswich

Leicester

Cardiff

Portsmouth

Anyone would think we don't have one of the biggest turnovers in the league.

That list took 2 mins......there's probably another 3 or 4 i've missed

Are we not taking their outgoings into account then?

Even if not 8 clubs spending more so we should be looking at a top 10 finish?

my opinion may surprise a few people but i actually now don't believe there is any point in debating this issue. We have our opinions on the man good or bad and at the moment they won't change, some believe he got on his last name, is defended because of it and relies on it and that the reason why the board haven't sacked him is because no one else is so cheap and can get away with so much.

Others believe he is doing a good job with the resources at hand and that with even more time e.g. another 3-4 years he can build a squad capable of promotion and we will be back in the big time. Others know he is crap but like the romance of the clough dynasty living on no matter what.

These opinions up to now in a way don't matter, this season is crucial for him, if we have a poor one he will be out the door, he is in the last 8 months of his contract and it won't be renewed if we fall short, if he succeeds i imagine he will receive another contract, this is the season that matters simply. Our opinions are of no consequence until around janurary time where we can get a good luck of where we might be.

Others know he is doing a good job with the resources at hand and that with even more time e.g. another 3-4 years he can build a squad capable of promotion and we will be back in the big time. Others believe he is crap but like the romance of the clough dynasty living on no matter what.

I corrected part of your post.

Are we not taking their outgoings into account then?

Even if not 8 clubs spending more so we should be looking at a top 10 finish?

Yes i was. West ham bought Nolan for 4.5 million + M.Taylor etc.....might be wrong, but i don't think they havr received anywhere near that.

Bothroyd, Burke, Bellamy etc all left for no money.....they have bought kenny Miller, and the Under 21 international for a fair few million.

I'd go on, but if i did a proper list we wouldn't be in the top ten. Brighton bought that bloke for a million from watford aswell.

You've got to include savings in wages as well, since you are so adamant about doing that about our spending. It's alright saying Bothroyd, Bellamy and Burke left for no money, but they must have been or a fair wage between them. Plus they sold Chopra for £1m+ as well. Ipswich must currently be on a net profit on transfers after Wickham was sold. Portsmouth have spent a million or two, but have shifted at least 2 large earners off wage bill (Brown and Nugent).

I suspect if you did a 'proper list', we would be pretty close to the top 6, if not in it.

I don't rate Addison - when he's unfit. He looks awful when he's fighting an injury.

I think it speaks volumes of how far we are ahead of Barnsley, actually. Send him out on loan to a desperate rival where he'll probably do them more harm than good as he gets his match sharpness back (their manager even thinks he can play at RB :eek: :eek:), and in 6 months time, we might have the old Addison back. Suits us fine. Seems to me like Clough has every intention of Miles being a Derby player in future, IMO.

Looks like Keith Hill has installed a new brand of football at Barnsley, i know you cant read too much in pre season but will be interesting to see how they get on, certainly more impressive than our pre season and that's just 2 goals.

I know Cov and ER wouldnt approve of that football but i enjoy watching it.

You've got to include savings in wages as well, since you are so adamant about doing that about our spending. It's alright saying Bothroyd, Bellamy and Burke left for no money, but they must have been or a fair wage between them. Plus they sold Chopra for £1m+ as well. Ipswich must currently be on a net profit on transfers after Wickham was sold. Portsmouth have spent a million or two, but have shifted at least 2 large earners off wage bill (Brown and Nugent).

I suspect if you did a 'proper list', we would be pretty close to the top 6, if not in it.

We're on about net transfer spend, but thanks anyway. Like i said, there'll be another 3 or 4 teams i've missed that have a net transfer spend more than us in the last year.

But like always, there will be someone who can't see GSE or the investors in anything other than in a.......erm......damn cliches......shiny suit of armour(not saying you fancy men in armour.), who picks on my every word to try and come up with some excuse for them.

The wages i was about in another thread was to do with how much investment there was, not transfer spend.

Brighton on one player.

West Ham

Hull

Ipswich

Leicester

Cardiff

Portsmouth

Anyone would think we don't have one of the biggest turnovers in the league.

That list took 2 mins......there's probably another 3 or 4 i've missed

According to this site, only Leicester, Brighton and West Ham have a larger net spend than us.

Portsmouth's is about the same whilst Hulls spend is a little lower

Most of Cardiff's signings appear to be free transfers. Ipswich are nowhere near due to Wickham

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/championship/transferbilanz/wettbewerb_GB2.html

Obviously the site only considers what's happened this summer and I haven't checked it all for up to date / accuracy, but it looks ok

Shows we are in top group of teams for total and net spend

According to this site, only Leicester, Brighton and West Ham have a larger net spend than us.

Portsmouth's is about the same whilst Hulls spend is a little lower

Most of Cardiff's signings appear to be free transfers. Ipswich are nowhere near due to Wickham

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/championship/transferbilanz/wettbewerb_GB2.html

Obviously the site only considers what's happened this summer and I haven't checked it all for up to date / accuracy, but it looks ok

Shows we are in top group of teams for total and net spend

No doubt for this summer.....but the money promised from Hulses', Varneys and Moxeys sales have to be included. It would be stupid to ignore them.

Plus, the transfer window isn't shut....and we seem to be trying to offload Bywater and Leacock (for money) and bringing loans in. I expect us to be outside the top 6 easily this summer alone for net transfer spend

No doubt for this summer.....but the money promised from Hulses', Varneys and Moxeys sales have to be included. It would be stupid to ignore them

No doubt? According to a previous post, you said we wouldnt be in the top 10.

Only Hulse and Moxeys fees aren't included here

Whether those fee's are included, whether its investment or spend, one thing that is for sure is that we're in the top group (top 6 say) currently for total and net spend for the division

No doubt for this summer.....but the money promised from Hulses', Varneys and Moxeys sales have to be included. It would be stupid to ignore them.

Plus, the transfer window isn't shut....and we seem to be trying to offload Bywater and Leacock (for money) and bringing loans in. I expect us to be outside the top 6 easily this summer alone for net transfer spend

And west ham are trying to offload Cole, Green, Parker etc which would push them massively into a net profit. Southampton may well sell Chamberlain which would do the same. Other clubs may well sell players aswell. And have you factored in previous sales for other clubs? Portsmouth bought in £14m last season according to the site linked below. You can't apply one set of rules to us and a different set to everyone else.

The same with the wages thing - it wasn't just one thread, you've been using it as a stick to beat the board with in thread after thread, and as soon as it doesn't fit the point you are trying to make, it gets conviently swept under the carpet.

And west ham are trying to offload Cole, Green, Parker etc which would push them massively into a net profit. Southampton may well sell Chamberlain which would do the same. Other clubs may well sell players aswell. And have you factored in previous sales for other clubs? Portsmouth bought in £14m last season according to the site linked below. You can't apply one set of rules to us and a different set to everyone else.

The same with the wages thing - it wasn't just one thread, you've been using it as a stick to beat the board with in thread after thread, and as soon as it doesn't fit the point you are trying to make, it gets conviently swept under the carpet.

I don't change my point. In the last year, a net spend of 1 million or so has taken place.....putting the players who are the replacements on cheaper wages.

If we finish top of the table because Southampton and Ipswich can sell good Championship players, then so be it. Doesn't bother me. If a one million net spend is the most, then it's the most.....

But if Ipswich have a negative net spend for selling one overrated player, and replace him with 5 good Championship players, then i know who i would rather be....them. Net spend doesn't show everything, as you have proved.

But if you think that spending net 1 million changes this squad to fight for a top six place, from 19th, you're mistaken. We haven't sold in the big millions to re-invest the big millions like Ipswich. We've sold all our top players for less than 3 million in total.

No doubt? According to a previous post, you said we wouldnt be in the top 10.

Only Hulse and Moxeys fees aren't included here

Whether those fee's are included, whether its investment or spend, one thing that is for sure is that we're in the top group (top 6 say) currently for total and net spend for the division

By the end of the summer. I expect us to sell Bywater and Leacock yet.

Looks like Keith Hill has installed a new brand of football at Barnsley, i know you cant read too much in pre season but will be interesting to see how they get on, certainly more impressive than our pre season and that's just 2 goals.

I know Cov and ER wouldnt approve of that football but i enjoy watching it.

Me likes, even Addison is taking part.:eek:

Archived