Is Nigel Having A Go At The Board?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, it's fact. It's fact we are the only club offering this deal. It's fact we are the first to offer such a deal.

Why? that's my only question.....answer it.

Don't you think the paltry budget would determine the targets? Do you think that Tyson would have been his first choice striker if the budget was bigger?

Why? The board were coming under fire from fans who thought the manager was not being backed, so they gave the fans the option of returning their tickets if they thought this lack of backing continued this summer. Question answered. No spin just a fact.

To a certain extent I think the budget determines the targets, anyone would want Messi ahead of Tyson. But in the grand scheme of things I think we are probably in the top 5 spenders this summer so based on that logic I think you should expect us to be aiming for top 6.

With the resources i don't think any manager could do much better, any player coming to this club will see how big we are and ask for top wack wages.

Brendan Rogers got Swansea promoted without spending as much as we spent this summer and I would guess on a wage bill pretty similar to ours.

Brendan Rogers got Swansea promoted without spending as much as we spent this summer and I would guess on a wage bill pretty similar to ours.

True, couple of favours from one of his old clubs. Plus the fact Sousa already did some good work there and he didn't inherit a pile of ***** with some sprinkles on top.

To be fair I now we are short there at the moment however why pay over the odds when hopefully Addison is going to return in 6 months back playing as he was beforre the foot injury and the nightmare 18months he has. If I am honest if he came back somewhere near there I would be content to make do with Bailey, Hendrick and Bryson as that would save a few quid in January especially as he can fit into that position nicely. Also don't forget Green could have every chance of being back in December January time.

In respect of the striker, you ould have Rooney, Owen and co up there but if the service is not there for them from the wings the they would not score either.

From all accouts Callum Ball has played well through preseason along with Steve Davies, yes they have not proved themselves up to date. However Steve Davies (And i am touching wood, got a rabbits foot, secured all the mirrors) when I say this has come through preseason without injury and he scored 5 goals after serios knee injury. Why buy another big striker when these two could fill the role. The transfer window is not till end of August they have 5-6 games to prove to everyone they need no one else. Also up there you have Ward, Tyson, Cywka, Maguire, Robinson. Before you say Tyson not scored many look at Florest strikeres and tell me who has really scored a lot of goals for them they have done well due to their keeper Lee 'Scab' Camp and their defence being solid awayf from home.

If we were to spend money at this point my priority would be a defender who can cover left and right back. Move Roberts to the bench and if Brayford gets injured the new lad could move to the right and Roberts steps in at left back.

I would not rush out now because the prices will remain high for the next couple of weeks, tou will get to some players upset over the next couple of weeks who want out and sulk (like Hulse) and clubs will move them on and we could make a saving.

Although signings are not well known or names that some fans wanted we have improved goalkeeper Number 1 and 2 positions, centre back which we struggled last year (anderson is antoher who has come through preseason and could be gd for us and has played the defensive midfield rle when required), signed Ward and Maguire for the wings who both offer creativity and speed and RObinson and Tyson for their speed up front.They may not be everyone cup of tea but the number of times we broke out on counter attack last year but because there was no speed up top we could not fully capalise Tyson will be playing a different role to his time florest and we will see what he can offer in the next couple of weeks

True, couple of favours from one of his old clubs. Plus the fact Sousa already did some good work there and he didn't inherit a pile of ***** with some sprinkles on top.

With the contacts that Clough should have in football (through his father and playing at the top leve for many years) is it odd that he does not seem to get any good favours?!

Agree that he did inherit a good club though.

He was building up, not cutting back, and he took over a club on the up. He didn't ever have to sell players to buy players and when you're building a side, you get to decide where you want to spend your wages. Makes a big difference.

Of late, we've seen many sides come down from the Prem and struggle. They're able to spend more and have better players than most of the league. But they struggle because they have to cut back and move forward simultaneously, and offload crap players on big wages before they can sign adequate replacements.

So what do you think he's done really well at?

Results?

Man management?

Bringing on young players?

Any other criteria you care to name?

Results - Kept us in the league.

Man management - Judgemental but you don't see anyone giving 50% out there do you?

Bringing on young players - New Academy set up and youngsters being given a chance. Excellent work.

Working under selling conditions and having to recuce the wages of an already sh1te squad? I say hes done well. This season is more of a test than those before it of how successfully he can build a squad. Though we still need to sign a DM and a striker before we judge him properly.

We has Clough let addison go if he does actually rate him (I dont believe he does) if we have no players to fill that role. Looks stupid to me

I don't rate Addison - when he's unfit. He looks awful when he's fighting an injury.

I think it speaks volumes of how far we are ahead of Barnsley, actually. Send him out on loan to a desperate rival where he'll probably do them more harm than good as he gets his match sharpness back (their manager even thinks he can play at RB :eek: :eek:), and in 6 months time, we might have the old Addison back. Suits us fine. Seems to me like Clough has every intention of Miles being a Derby player in future, IMO.

We has Clough let addison go if he does actually rate him (I dont believe he does) if we have no players to fill that role. Looks stupid to me

Probably thought we'd have the DM in by now and Addison needed to be playing for six months before he was useful again.

Why? The board were coming under fire from fans who thought the manager was not being backed, so they gave the fans the option of returning their tickets if they thought this lack of backing continued this summer. Question answered. No spin just a fact.

To a certain extent I think the budget determines the targets, anyone would want Messi ahead of Tyson. But in the grand scheme of things I think we are probably in the top 5 spenders this summer so based on that logic I think you should expect us to be aiming for top 6.

WHAT? Net spend we are probably one of the lowest. Forest have bought one player....Greening. I bet their net spend is nearly the same as ours.

You don't think it was a marketing ploy then?

The amount of bulk Miles put on was a bit worrying, good idea to send him out and get him to maybe lose some of that mass with another club. I think maybe Nige expected the board to have signed a DM by now which obviously hasn't worked out.

Results?

Man management?

Results: kept one of the worst squads in the league in his first year, kept us mid-table ever since which was pretty much what we expected and aimed for.

Man management: pretty poor. Unhappy with his criticism of players. It went wrong for his dad at Leeds and Brighton for the same reason. Needs to do better there - although it's interesting that Lee Croft is back in the frame.

Bringing on young players: I can't remember the last manager who signed so many under 24s. Massive effort to focus on the future. Bringing on young players doesn't mean chucking on your Tom Huddlestone and your Lee Holmes when things get desperate - it means giving them time to develop and letting the academy staff to their bit and then easing them in to the picture gradually. Reserves compromise of many first-year scholars. So he's done alright there.

Other criteria: injuries are a concern. Is every effort being made to stop them happening in future? We might have just been unlucky. Commons got his hamstrings sorted out alright, so maybe we do know what we're doing. Injuries and results are interlinked - how can you win any game with 16 first teamers out injured?

When you put like that, Clough's good, but could and should do better. But these were always going to be lost years anyway. We just needed a manager to keep us in the league, do some dirty work, and stick it out for the long haul. In the process, the manager has cut the wage bill down to where the board wants it and made a better youth structure. On a restricted budget, he's also signed players with potential to be brilliant Derby players for years to come due to their attitude, loyalty and ability in Fielding, Bailey, Brayford, Cywka and maybe even Bryson, Ward and Maguire. And also maybe Ball and Hendrick.

The amount of bulk Miles put on was a bit worrying, good idea to send him out and get him to maybe lose some of that mass with another club. I think maybe Nige expected the board to have signed a DM by now which obviously hasn't worked out.

Wouldnt you have waited to make sure you get a player in before loaning him out?. I dont agree with Duracell that we are that far ahead of Barnsley we can loan them our players just to get fit. He has been training since about feb time now, Im no physical expert but shouldnt he be pretty fit by now? He is a pro sportsman, he should be able to shift a bit of weight.

Results?

Man management?

results - poor, no argument.

man management - good, probably his best point

bringing on young players - good, plenty of hope for the future

other criteria? - tactically naive at times.

apart from the results its all opinions tho'.

WHAT? Net spend we are probably one of the lowest. Forest have bought one player....Greening. I bet their net spend is nearly the same as ours.

You don't think it was a marketing ploy then?

Greening was signed for £670k.

We spent at least three times that on the Maguire tribunal fee, Bryson, Shackell and Fielding.

This board is a wolf in sheep's clothing IMO. Most of us know our consumer rights but a clever piece of marketing is enough to suggest, at the very least, that we're being offered something in addition to the customary. It stinks of spin to me. The point is, as far as I'm concerned, they didn't "give" us anything beyond what we're entitled to but dressed it up in such a way that it became an "offer". I take my hat off to them.

Archived