Irish connection continues.

Stimacked

Derby have signed 2 more players from Ireland's U16 teams for the upcoming Academy U18's squad.

We already have the likes of Hendrick, Connelly and and O'brien on young pro contracts with the reserves.

In the 2nd year at the Academy there is forward, Kealan Dillon.

This season Adam Wixted and Dylan Hayes are both joining the Under 18's as well.

http://www.wicklowpeople.ie/sport/soccer/dylan-in-action-for-irish-under16s-2388211.html

Apart from that, there are a few young trialists from overseas at Moor Farm this summer including a Canadian lad from Vancouver and an Italian lad from Parma FC youth squad.

Its good that the Rams seem to have some strong connections with Irish Youth set up and that we now have an eye on players emerging in Europe and over in North America as well.

There are also the two best prospects with the Under 15's

Mason Bennett and Kwame Thomas to come through next year. They are already getting looked at with the England Youth squad.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-12938564-detail/story.html

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although i think these are positive signs, over the years we've supposedly had many 'talents' in our academy. Until i see them play they will remain just another youngster to me. But it would be a welcome change to produce some good youth players for once.

I've been waiting 10 years for Tonton Zola Moukoko to break through myself.

It IS good news - I thought that when I saw the original article just about Mason and Thomas.

There's always context and track record though.

I have high hopes for Hendrick and Ball forcing their way into the side this year, and it's good to hear that the conveyor belt continues.

Although i think these are positive signs, over the years we've supposedly had many 'talents' in our academy. Until i see them play they will remain just another youngster to me. But it would be a welcome change to produce some good youth players for once.

I've been waiting 10 years for Tonton Zola Moukoko to break through myself.

Does anyone know who's responsible for taking promising youth players and developing them into first team players?

I would agree that a team with such good youth and training facilities, relatively few have forced their way into the team. I would love to see O'Brien, Ball and Hendrick given a chance.

I do worry though that the pattern has become a few 10 minute opportunities, a loan spell in the lower leagues, then obscurity.

The recent signings could push these guys further down the list. Until they are given a run (perhaps in the Carling cup) we will never know their true potential.

I think I remember somebody saying before that we also now have consistency in the youth set-up. When we were changing managers regularly, the youth team coaches changed as well, so the youngsters never knew where they were either.

Seems like most of the overseas players on trial this summer are in the Under 15's to Under 16 age bracket. As I mentioned there is the Italian player, There are I think 2 lads over from the U.S being looked at, and a couple of African lads I think as well. A team from the Rams Under 15's and Under 16's has gone up to play in Scotland in a Youth tournement and some of the trialists are up there playing. They are into the Semi's of the tournement against Burton.

Burton seems to take some of the players that Derby rejects from its Youth teams, so they will probably mostly know each other.

Think the general approach with overseas youth player recruitment, is to bring players over younger, have a look and track them again over the year and then bring the ones that really impressed back the following season, to see how they have improved and then offer then a contract. Thats exactly what we did with Conor Doyle. I think Dylan Hayes was over last summer for a trial too, and he now is a Rams scholar. The players on trial are too young to start Academy scholarships this year I think, so they must be working on the same lines with these lads as well. All this would be impossible if there had been no consistency in the management team running the youth academy. Darren Wassall and co are making good progress and we should start to see more decent players coming through in the coming seasons. ......Unless Clough is shown the door....

then it all starts over from square one with the next guy.

Tom Glick has stated that whatever happens to the manager, the youth management team will remain in place.

Wassall and his team are seperate from Clough's team. One of the better decisions from the Board methinks.

Apparently Clough was in full agreement with this and its popular with the trainees parents as well.

In five years time we'll be Barcelona.:D

Haha.

Yeah good post Stimacked. Can't really argue with that strategy. Paying sod all, really, whilst on trial and seeing how they adapt to 'our way of playing'. Whether it does or doesn't work out for Clough, Derby's academy will hopefully learn the styles we play and what better way of really seeing if a player has potential. Just hope we can continue to spot a good crop of players. Need to hope we develop the local lads from a young age too and with a good youth system in place, a fighting chance of breaking in to the first team. We can all dream, however, but we're taking the right steps imo.

The Under 16`s won the youth tournement up in Scotland, beating Aberdeen in the final. Apart from the keeper, the rest are mostly from the players who will make up this seasons U15's and U16s sides. One of our key players was Kwame Thomas, who, has already been called up to the England youth squad.

As far as I know, this is the majority of the players who will make up this years Academy 1st year scholars.

Ross Etheridge (keeper, Rams youth sides a couple of years)

Rhys Sharpe (left back, Rams youth sides a couple of years)

Sam Berry (been with Rams youth sides a couple of years)

Nial Dawkins, ( Rams youth sides a couple of years)

Andy Dales, ( Rams youth sides a couple of years)

Will Hughes (midfield, ( Rams youth sides a couple of years)

Josh Lelan ( Rams youth sides a couple of years)

Kayode Bola (Nigerian roots, new recruit this summer)

Adam Wixted (midfield, signed from Ireland)

Dylan Hayes (midfield, signed from Ireland)

A few other players are still on trial, and may be added to the squad

Roy Chatterjee. is a striker who was on the bench at Matlock

and is from the indepentent schools league,

There is a midfield player from the New Zealand team that played in the U17 World Cup in Mexico.

The Canadian youth player is also still on trial and a couple of U.S. players

including a greek american lad with a long name, probably with next year in mind.

All the overseas youth players being looked at seem to have family connections in Europe, so this would avoid the Rams having visa problems if they did sign.

Another prospect is a lankey african dutch lad who was a key player in the youth tournement in Scotland.

Anyway, while it all seems very quiet on the transfer front as far as the First team is concerned. Darren Wassall and co have been very busy building the new Academy squad for the coming season.

The Under 16`s won the youth tournement up in Scotland, beating Aberdeen in the final. Apart from the keeper, the rest are mostly from the players who will make up this seasons U15's and U16s sides. One of our key players was Kwame Thomas, who, has already been called up to the England youth squad.

As far as I know, this is the majority of the players who will make up this years Academy 1st year scholars.

Josh Lelan ( Rams youth sides a couple of years)

Kayode Bola (Nigerian roots, new recruit this summer)

mpressive for a 1/6Dylan Hayes (midfield, signed from Ireland)

A few other players are still on trial, and may be added to the squad

Roy Chatterjee. is a striker who was on the bench at Matlock

and is from the indepentent schools league,

There is a midfield player from the New Zealand team that played in the U17 World Cup in Mexico.

The Canadian youth player is also still on trial and a couple of U.S. players

including a greek american lad with a long name, probably with next year in mind.

All the overseas youth players being looked at seem to have family connections in Europe, so this would avoid the Rams having visa problems if they did sign.

Another prospect is a lankey african dutch lad who was a key player in the youth tournement in Scotland.

Anyway, while it all seems very quiet on the transfer front as far as the First team is concerned. Darren Wassall and co have been very busy building the new Academy squad for the coming season.

That Niall lad Finished 3rd on the bleep test out of the whole of the club pretty impressive for a 16 year old

• 2 weeks later...

Josh Lelan ( Centre back, Rams youth sides a couple of years)

Kayode Bola (Centre back, Nigerian roots, new recruit this summer)

Dylan Hayes (midfield, signed from Ireland)

Squad now confirmed on the official site.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/AcademyTeam/0,,10270~1074350,00.html

A couple of the trialists we had over this summer are set to be 1st year scholars next year.

Archived