How would you feel...

tomsdubs

I wouldn't be completely against a sponsored stadium name but like many posters have already said it would have to suit the club/stadium. Keeping upto date with the current affairs what about Siemens Stadium? :rolleyes:

At least Pride Park has a meaning though, "Partnership to Regenerate through Innovative Development the Environment of Derby. So PRIDE Park as it should be does has a connection to the area.

It could be much worse, like Brighton's "American Express Community Stadium" a.k.a "The AMEX". Now that is an awful name!

http://www.derby.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E184C196-20D5-4E2B-B229-2F523A14A2A2/0/LUP_PridePark1.pdf

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some of you might be forgetting that the name of the ground is Pride Park Stadium I.e. The stadium which is at the place called Pride Park. Therefore it isnt a stupid or terrible name, it's an accurate one.

In terms of the subject, I would be happy enough if it was called something like The Toyota Pride Park Stadium or something but not a complete name change

I wouldn't care.

It's been known as Pride Park for 14 years now so we'd all still be calling it Pride Park even if it's real name was the BuyMobiles Stadium, Marstons Stadium or whatever else they'd decide to call it.

It's all just part of modern football's economics. Everything is sold and sponsored. It would just be extra money in the bank. We already have a sponsor for each player, a referee sponsor, a matchday sponsor and even a match ball sponsor!

Don't know why you would even think about changing the name of Pride Park. Better than the Sh*tty ground and the crisp bowl.

Old trafford

Stamford Bridge

Anfield

Craven Cottage

Oakwell

Bloomfield Road

I love names that are old and not advertised.

B2net arena is just a gay name.

Pride Park, Pride of England ;):D

I wouldn't care.

It's been known as Pride Park for 14 years now so we'd all still be calling it Pride Park even if it's real name was the BuyMobiles Stadium, Marstons Stadium or whatever else they'd decide to call it.

It's all just part of modern football's economics. Everything is sold and sponsored. It would just be extra money in the bank. We already have a sponsor for each player, a referee sponsor, a matchday sponsor and even a match ball sponsor!

Don't forget the substitutions.

C'mon YR, read this again and tell me you actually believe it?

I believe it, if you take away something like that a club has been violated to me, simple as, i support derby county because it is derby county, what will they take next? like i say i would rather support a club which is a club not a bitc* to the corporate desolates who would sell their soul for a bit more cash.

If it cost us promotion etc etc i would accept it and be pleased that my club which i love is still my club.

I believe it, if you take away something like that a club has been violated to me, simple as, i support derby county because it is derby county, what will they take next? like i say i would rather support a club which is a club not a bitc* to the corporate desolates who would sell their soul for a bit more cash.

If it cost us promotion etc etc i would accept it and be pleased that my club which i love is still my club.

I 100% agree

Not sure if its just me but i am very surprised that most of the posters on here aren't bothered that the home of Derby County be renamed if that was ever the case.

I think PRIDE PARK is quite an iconic name and is now as much as a part of Derby County as the BBG was.

Not sure if its just me but i am very surprised that most of the posters on here aren't bothered that the home of Derby County be renamed if that was ever the case.

I think PRIDE PARK is quite an iconic name and is now as much as a part of Derby County as the BBG was.

I'm surprised too that people aren't bothered about the change. I know a few Arsenal 'fans' and it makes me slightly queasy when they talk about the 'Emirates'. Just adds to the lack of soul at Arsenal since the move.

Changing the name of Pride Park wouldn't turn us into a force, it would just increase revenues by a certain amount. I guess there could be some sort of dream scenario to justify the name change, where there is no more money for a goalscorer, then at the last minute we sell the name and use the million pounds to buy someone who scores 35 goals and get us promoted, but changing a ground's name hasn't bought any other club success yet.

What other possible changes would you like to see to bring in more filthy lucre?

Change our name the the Derby Yahoo or the Co-op Rams?

Turn one stand into only corpo boxes?

Allow a company to pay to have an employee on the bench to come on for the last 5 mins of a game?

Play one home match a season at LA Galaxy's ground?

Sell the ground for big bucks and move 20 miles out of Derby to where land is perhaps much cheaper?

Get the statues around the ground sponsored?

Double ticket prices, but include a free hotdog and Coca-Cola?

All great ideas and the only way be can be successful again. Fortunately our owners seem to be less desperate for a bit of extra cash than some supporters.

I'm surprised too that people aren't bothered about the change. I know a few Arsenal 'fans' and it makes me slightly queasy when they talk about the 'Emirates'. Just adds to the lack of soul at Arsenal since the move.

Changing the name of Pride Park wouldn't turn us into a force, it would just increase revenues by a certain amount. I guess there could be some sort of dream scenario to justify the name change, where there is no more money for a goalscorer, then at the last minute we sell the name and use the million pounds to buy someone who scores 35 goals and get us promoted, but changing a ground's name hasn't bought any other club success yet.

What other possible changes would you like to see to bring in more filthy lucre?

Change our name the the Derby Yahoo or the Co-op Rams?

Turn one stand into only corpo boxes?

Allow a company to pay to have an employee on the bench to come on for the last 5 mins of a game?

Play one home match a season at LA Galaxy's ground?

Sell the ground for big bucks and move 20 miles out of Derby to where land is perhaps much cheaper?

Get the statues around the ground sponsored?

Double ticket prices, but include a free hotdog and Coca-Cola?

All great ideas and the only way be can be successful again. Fortunately our owners seem to be less desperate for a bit of extra cash than some supporters.

Pretty much agree with that.

Pride Park Stadium is probably not the most iconic name but its established now.

I would hate a sponsored name change to the point of actually considering not going.

Other fans (from farther afield then notts!), have commented that they like the fact that its not called "The Reebok" or "Britannia Stadium" for example.

Wigan have gone from JJB to DW, I know they deserve that for being a **** club but it just shows disrespect for the fans imo.

Would anyone like to be called the "News International Stadium" atm?

It would be just awful!.... its bad enough that the subsitutions are sponsored - thats just cringeworthy!

We would be selling our soul if Pride Park was renamed just to get a megre bit of cash.

Why has this been brought up anyway?

It would be just awful!.... its bad enough that the subsitutions are sponsored - thats just cringeworthy!

We would be selling our soul if Pride Park was renamed just to get a megre bit of cash.

Why has this been brought up anyway?

I was thinking about Leicester and the king prawn stadium, came to conclusion in my head that i would hate it to happen to us. I'm glad people agree, just another step in to taking a clubs heritage and stripping it bare. Corporate crap.

I dont really get this "selling your soul" stuff...when the players, ball and god knows what else is sponsored and you have multiple kit sponsors I dont really know what's left to sell?

I'm not against selling naming rights for the stadium if it generated decent revenue, that said, the sponsor and the name would have to be decent. Some of the sponsored stadiums sound awful...

KitKat Crescent

London Borough of Barking & Dagenham Stadium

No thanks, I think if it was to be done it would have to be something that was relevant to Derby and didnt sound completely embarrassing - or any more embarrassing than Pride Park.

I dont really get this "selling your soul" stuff...when the players, ball and god knows what else is sponsored and you have multiple kit sponsors I dont really know what's left to sell?

I'm not against selling naming rights for the stadium if it generated decent revenue, that said, the sponsor and the name would have to be decent. Some of the sponsored stadiums sound awful...

KitKat Crescent

No thanks, I think if it was to be done it would have to be something that was relevant to Derby and didnt sound completely embarrassing - or any more embarrassing than Pride Park.

Pride Park is the name of the area, i don't give a **** what context anyone takes it in. Yeah i am a traditionalist but you say about sponsors elsewhere every club does that, but there are limits to how far it can go before it infringes on the clubs identity.

It will take 2 league titles, countless promotions and relgeations, an FA Cup win, journeys into Europe, bankrupcy orders, legendary players and managers etc etc etc etc etc etc before Pride Park can even hold a torch to the Baseball Ground in being "part of Derby County"....and let's be honest.....it's jsut not going to happen.

It holds no affection in my heart, I would sell the name to anyone who was willing to put in a couple of grand to be honest. After all, it's a rubbish name anyway.

KitKat Crescent

I think because those are just in the background, they aren't in your face and you can get away with it to an extent, however there are some things that i believe need to be changed, for instance burn the corporate boxes, a stadium shouldn't have them in my opinion, if someone wants to go to a game they should sit with the 'commoners', or they should turn the box area into a safe standing area? just to annoy the gits who use them. However with small things like ball sponsers etc i can one day see not just this club but every club willing to sell itself for an extra pound or two, you do have to ask yourself what is next? change the club name? derby Adidas county?

I think because those are just in the background, they aren't in your face and you can get away with it to an extent, however there are some things that i believe need to be changed, for instance burn the corporate boxes, a stadium shouldn't have them in my opinion, if someone wants to go to a game they should sit with the 'commoners', or they should turn the box area into a safe standing area? just to annoy the gits who use them. However with small things like ball sponsers etc i can one day see not just this club but every club willing to sell itself for an extra pound or two, you do have to ask yourself what is next? change the club name? derby Adidas county?

Well your right its all about limits, but also generating revenue and a balance needs to be struck. The boxes/corporate is a good money spinner, simple as that.

I was disapointed when we first had two sponsors on the kit, so frankly a stadium sponsorship wouldnt bother me. We've always had stands named and no one cares about that. I jsut dont attrbute much "soul" to the name of the ground, but as I say I think the naming would have to be something tactful.

Change the name of the club? That's a bit far, can't see that happening in England

Archived