Honestly....I hate this f'in forum

Day

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can have a quick reply on here, I've just got the basics up and running first.

I'll be adding....

- Quick Reply

- Embeded YouTube videos

- 'Like' system

We must not allow the return of the likey. The likeys are divisive. In particular they disadvantage the grouchy, the miserable, and the terminally doomy gloomy. The miserable poster is humiliated by the low number of “likes” they receive and so they move on and find a more tolerant “like-free” forum.

We must not allow this to happen.

The miserable poster is crucial for the well being of the forum. Their whiney and irritating posts force the rest of us to log on and post some self-righteous and morally uplifting twaddle in defence of all things optimistic. But if we’re honest we have to admit that without the miserable posters we probably wouldn’t bother. We might lurk for a while - but then we’d drift off and try and find a non-likey forum where the miserable fcukers hang out so we can take the piss out of them again.

So think boys and girls. If you really want this vibrant, diverse and healthy forum to wither away and die then all you have to do is support the return of the likey.

Good points ramessessessess,

never did get a like for my superb, Andy (i'm that big i have my own postcode) Reid, poem.:mad:

I tried Utch but kept logging me out everytime I got on the thread!!:(

We must not allow the return of the likey. The likeys are divisive. In particular they disadvantage the grouchy, the miserable, and the terminally doomy gloomy. The miserable poster is humiliated by the low number of “likes” they receive and so they move on and find a more tolerant “like-free” forum.

The miserable poster is crucial for the well being of the forum. Their whiney and irritating posts force the rest of us to log on and post some self-righteous and morally uplifting twaddle in defence of all things optimistic. But if we’re honest we have to admit that without the miserable posters we probably wouldn’t bother. We might lurk for a while - but then we’d drift off and try and find a non-likey forum where the miserable fcukers hang out so we can take the piss out of them again.

So think boys and girls. If you really want this vibrant, diverse and healthy forum to wither away and die then all you have to do is support the return of the likey.

I don't mind the like system, the only thing i ask in return is for my ever imposing realism if i am proved right i would like 1 million likes for the lack of likes my posts have had due to the realistic content. ;)

The worst thing is that I actually spent a few seconds looking for the 'like' button at the bottom of your post.

If I talk about Mods I end up getting loads of requests, I did see it but I quickly moved on.

The alert feature was nice but theres nothing I can do about that as it's not possible with this forum.

Shame, the alert feature made everything easier to find when your a bit of an internet dim-wit. Like moi. :(

ahh well. :(

The worst thing is that I actually spent a few seconds looking for the 'like' button at the bottom of your post.

I was doing that on a post that made me laugh earlier. You can make your own now though look:

[sIZE=1]Joe likes this[/sIZE] :D

I'm an old stuck in the mud that hates change.... so surprisingly I much preferred the new forum and am a bit gutted with reverted to this. It doesn't half seem a bit old-fashioned after even a short time with the new one!

But then again a never had any problems with the new forum; I really Liked the Likes (I often like/agree with posts but can't be arsed to post a reply just to say so!).

Daveo, I'm also a bit confused by this...

"1) I hate not being able to go to the last unread post from the homepage"

On the new forum whenever I clicked on a topic it would go to the last unread post, which was great. On this one I have to load the topic then click "View First Unread" which is another minor annoyance.

Is the new forum dead for good now? I'm a developer if you need a hand with anything (not that I have that much time, but maybe some expertise?).

Martyn.

I'm an old stuck in the mud that hates change.... so surprisingly I much preferred the new forum and am a bit gutted with reverted to this. It doesn't half seem a bit old-fashioned after even a short time with the new one!

But then again a never had any problems with the new forum; I really Liked the Likes (I often like/agree with posts but can't be arsed to post a reply just to say so!).

Daveo, I'm also a bit confused by this...

"1) I hate not being able to go to the last unread post from the homepage"

On the new forum whenever I clicked on a topic it would go to the last unread post, which was great. On this one I have to load the topic then click "View First Unread" which is another minor annoyance.

Is the new forum dead for good now? I'm a developer if you need a hand with anything (not that I have that much time, but maybe some expertise?).

Martyn.

I agree with the slightly old fashioned feel although having it work swung it for me. I still have the licence to use so I would never say never but they need to work on it a hell of alot more before I would even consider going there again.

The homepage link is slightly lazy I'll be honest, I'm a believer of the less clicks the better. The bigger things that annoyed me were....

1) The search function was very resource heavy on the database, this was a big reason for the server move as the other server couldn't cope with the requests.

2) The mod features were shocking, with this the moderators have a mod cp which gives them various special powers, the other forum didn't have this at all. They had no way of banning members or making any changes to a user profile if needed.

3) Google didn't like it, even tho we are probably the biggest Derby forum now I still want to keep us at the top of Google and ranking highly, when we moved our site links were removed, page rank had dropped and bots were making less visits to index the posts.

4) Page loading times increased from 0.5 seconds to over 4 seconds on big threads.

Last but not least, you don't expect to receive a ton of emails and Tweets with members not able to login, I wasn't online to make any changes but for what ever reason the forum just decided not to allow a load of people sign in.

For me that was the final straw, I upgraded the server for the search, was willing to wait till the end of the year for the mod features update, accepted we may drop in Google ranking but members not being able to login is pretty huge.

I do have my eye on another forum system (I can hear everyone groaning now), Those who visit other forums will be aware of it IPB, (COYR's runs on a very old version of it). It works pretty much the same as this forum now but with the alert system, like button, mobile style, free iPhone app and you can even update Facebook and Twitter status through the forum. At the moment it's only in Beta and probably won't get a full release until the end of the year.

http://community.invisionpower.com/

Oh, not forgetting it has an integrated chat system which can be used for matchdays and a blogging system that could be used to generate a homepage with.

To the left of the thread name is a downward pointing arrow. This takes you to the last post.

You can thank me later :)

Archived