Danny Blanchett

Day

Danny Blanchett could well be heading to the Championship after eagle eyed Vital Crewe posters spotted him in pre-season training with the Rams.

There's been no confirmation of Blanchett joining up with Derby so we can only assume it's a trial.

Surprising though it is, the former Peterborough left back has been linked with the likes of Brighton, Crystal Palace and Charlton in recent months, although most fans shrugged off the rumours.

It's not to say he didn't impress. His release was possibly the most surprising of the handful to go in May, with no explanation offered from Dario. A dip in form following the rumours of Championship rumours however may suggest his head was turned and the decision was out of the club's hands.

Derby meanwhile are clearly looking to add that Crewe Alex experience to their Championship squad. With James Bailey and John Brayford both impressing last season, today they've completed the signing of former Alex keeper Adam Legzdins. The retirement of Robbie Savage and imminent departure of Luke Varney however will leave space for Blanchett.

http://www.crewe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=245944#ixzz1Qs7hVzgh

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't at all want to sound negative but i'm feeling that we have not really signed the quality we need. we seem to have adopted a quantity approach. However, if half of these signings turn out to be good at this level i'll be happy, but it is one hell of a gamble on Clough's part.

Likely to be the second choice that TG was talking about being as we missed on our probable first choice in Creswell.

Were we after Cresswell? I didn't think we were.

As mentioned he apparently was the target of a couple of Championship clubs before he was released, so who knows. If Nigel thinks he's good enough...

Were we after Cresswell? I didn't think we were.

As mentioned he apparently was the target of a couple of Championship clubs before he was released, so who knows. If Nigel thinks he's good enough...

Glick implied that we will be looking to strengthen certain positions (one of which was LB) and we have a number one target and a fall back target for those positions. I cannot see the Crewe lad being our first choice.

If Creswell wasn't on Clough's radar I'd be surprised as he is clearly looking to buy from the lower leagues and promising LB's are few and far between.

Glick implied that we will be looking to strengthen certain positions (one of which was LB) and we have a number one target and a fall back target for those positions. I cannot see the Crewe lad being our first choice.

If Creswell wasn't on Clough's radar I'd be surprised as he is clearly looking to buy from the lower leagues and promising LB's are few and far between.

Oh, so you assumed he was a target. Honestly, and don't take this personally, claims like "Likely to be the second choice that TG was talking about being as we missed on our probable first choice in Creswell." are to be perfectly frank ridiculous without supporting evidence. We were never linked with him and his comment seemed to be more about the other positions. He only ever said we were looking for cover for leftback and it was largely off hand comments rather than solid "we're signing a leftback to replace Roberts". So please, be more careful with your assertions. Again, don't take it personally, it's just annoying when people make such claims without any supporting evidence.

One man's released is another man's refusal to sign a new contract

Could very well be, he did play most of their matches this season, and more importantly other championship sides were after him. Also note how it is apparently a trial and not him being signed. We'll see in time whether this is true or not.

Archived