Danny Blanchett

Day

Sometimes a stop-gap player is useful until you find a player in the market that you actually want. Plus they tend to be fairly cheap, which is good.

Martin i've seen a few times at left back, reminded me of Jordan Stewart. By which I mean his overlapping runs were great, but defensively?

Not good.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Martin i've seen a few times at left back, reminded me of Jordan Stewart. By which I mean his overlapping runs were great, but defensively?

Not good.

Dunno I've never seen him at full back, but it might be his best position.

He's quick. Quite strong. And he's never gonna make a winger for us.

Wayne Bridge was successfully converted to full back.

sort of :D

I don't think Nigel hates him, I think Nigel thinks that Martin is totally unable to play in an attacking three.

I watched Martin misplace a pass against Sheffield United at home early on last season and Nigel went mental. Perhaps he has just made his mind up.

Stubborn decision making as opposed to hatred. And for all we know he really is shocking in an attacking three, we've not really had the oppurtunity to see him in it aside from the reserves.

There he seemed to just drift wide as per his usual routine, perhaps he just can't stay central and do well.

I don't think Nigel hates him, I think Nigel thinks that Martin is totally unable to play in an attacking three.

I watched Martin misplace a pass against Sheffield United at home early on last season and Nigel went mental. Perhaps he has just made his mind up.

Unfortunately that might say more about Nigel....and a limited ability to mentor young players.

You'd think that Nigel never misplaced a pass or had a **** game.

Well I saw him when we thrashed Sheff Wed 5-2 at Hillsborough.

He was shocking and he was substituted at half time.

Personally I liked the story Willie Carlin told about Brian.

Willie said that there was a lengthy period when he couldnt do a thing right....passes went astray; couldnt control it; he was having a nightmare match after match.

Brian never said a word.

Then one day he hit a good pass, and then another and felt his confidence coming back. He played ok...much better.

As he walked off Cloughie said ' about blo0dy time and all'.

And from then on, he never looked back.

One of my all time favourite players btw.

Perhaps he just makes his mind up on who can do what pretty quickly, and decides how long they have to prove it to him?

He seems to have mentored a fair few young players rather well, look at how well Brayford is doing.

I have never seen Willie Carlin, well before my time old chap. To my great regret.

The best i've seen was at PP was the better form that we showed last season..................depressing isn't it :(

Ah well. I got to see Hosam Ghaly I suppose. He was pretty nifty..........

Perhaps he just makes his mind up on who can do what pretty quickly, and decides how long they have to prove it to him?

Very quickly....I think he's only ever started two games for us; none since he was signed permanently?

I have never seen Willie Carlin, well before my time old chap. To my great regret.

The best i've seen was at PP was the better form that we showed last season..................depressing isn't it :(

Ah well. I got to see Hosam Ghaly I suppose. He was pretty nifty..........

well that was pretty good football....when did you start going?

Very quickly....I think he's only ever started two games for us; none since he was signed permanently?

He got a fair bit of time when he came on loan, but he had the Pre-season and most of last season in the reserves to prove he could play in that system, I guess he just can't do it.

Plus the two appearances that he has had have been pretty poor, thought it's hard to judge on 10 mins of first team football.

well that was pretty good football....when did you start going?

I got into Derby relatively late, I saw a few games of Jeff Kenna/Junior/Pablo Mills season but never actually had a season ticket until the Premiership season.

Everything before it i've had to either research myself or hear about from older fans. I'd always liked Derby, but never had a season ticket, so felt no real connection with them besides the odd game that we managed a season.

Though I do remember us scoring late on against Millwall when I was around 10 at PP and I jumped up and down just to the left of the Millwall fans giving them the finger lol. Ahhh, to be a kid again lol :D

I envy the folks that got to see the BC era. That's as good as it'll ever get for Derby.

I envy the folks that got to see the BC era. That's as good as it'll ever get for Derby.

I'm not going to lie....it was blo0dy fantastic.....but even then I remember the older fans saying 'hey did you see Jackie Stamps outside the ground' or 'you should have seen Doherty and Carter, now they were good!'.

actually.....you should've seen McFarland and Todd lol....now they WERE good.

I'm not going to lie....it was blo0dy fantastic.....but even then I remember the older fans saying 'hey did you see Jackie Stamps outside the ground' or 'you should have seen Doherty and Carter, now they were good!'.

actually.....you should've seen McFarland and Todd lol....now they WERE good.

I've seen a fair bit of Todd and McFarland from clips, but i've not a clue about the other two, I just know the names.

Gah, I was born too bloody late........

We could learn something from the way that team was built.

Roy McFarland was 19 when we signed him....playing for Tranmere....and Cloughie told him he'd play for England.....Toddy was 22....a British record transfer for a defender ....absolute class. John Robson - left back - was 17 when he made his debut...spotted playing youth team football....went on to play for England U-23s....John McGovern was 19....Cloughie knew him since he was 16 at Hartlepool....we already had Hector, 22-23 years old when Cloughie arrived...Hinton was not yet 25 when he signed, Gemmill was 23, O'Hare was 22. These were the players that made us great.

Add in the experience Les Green, Willie Carlin, Dave Mackay etc.

That still seems to me to be the way to build a team.

Seems like the sort of thing Clough has been trying, or atleast parts of it.

I'm sure you could build a team like that, the thing is that you'd need alot of money to do it. That broken transfer record could prove a slight problem with our investors this time round :D

Seems like the sort of thing Clough has been trying, or atleast parts of it.

I'm sure you could build a team like that, the thing is that you'd need alot of money to do it. That broken transfer record could prove a slight problem with our investors this time round :D

Well if you want to replace Dave Mackay then you have to break the British transfer record. The rest cost modest fees.

Yes....Nigel has done a bit....but he needs to have the courage of his convictions...and he needs to make these players feel six feet tall.....Brian picked Steve Powell at 16....makes you think about O'Brien and Hendrick ?

Archived