Championship 2011 - 2012

red fever

The line-up is now complete, and although it’s more than six weeks from starting the odds for the 2011/12 Championship are now widely available.

Few surprises about the front-runners: West Ham are 11/2 favourites, having already seen a shortening of their price from 7/1 after some impressive-looking signings; loadsamoney Leicester (7/1) together with newly relegated Birmingham (9/1) form the three early favourites. Beaten play-off finalists Reading are on offer at 12/1, Middlesbrough’s impressive late form sees them in as short as 14/1, with perennial play-off failures Forest the same price.

That’s our top six, and it’s fairly predictable. Who else? Naturally, we look straight to City’s price, which is 25/1 – longer than the promoted pair of Southampton (18/1) and Brighton (22/1). Leeds, the division’s biggest club, are a surprisingly lengthy 20/1, while poor old Doncaster are (as usual) favourites for relegation – though 125/1 is available if you think top spot is heading to that part of South Yorkshire.

BUT Who will make the top 6 ?

And who will go down ?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do Forest get the tag of perennial play off failures? It's like they've been given this tag as a reason for people to feel sorry for them..

Don't they realise Reading have been the in the playoffs more times than anyone and lost every single one of them.. Wheres there unlucky tag?

As for the promotion races.. I'd stick $50 on Boro to win promotion.. To win the league I'm not sure, perhaps West Ham if they can keep their players.

If we finish champions i will perform any stunt as seen on Jackass of the forum users choice.

The one where Ryan Dunn drives his Porsche at 130mph into a tree, and stays in the car whilst it bursts into flames is a good one. Although he never came out, so, probably not a good idea.

RIP Ryan Dunn!

I'll stick my neck out and say West Ham will win the league..

The one where Ryan Dunn drives his Porsche at 130mph into a tree, and stays in the car whilst it bursts into flames is a good one. Although he never came out, so, probably not a good idea.

RIP Ryan Dunn!

I'll stick my neck out and say West Ham will win the league..

Oh dear. Tumbleweed.

Too early to say as alot of clubs haven't moved in the transfer market yet, early gut feelings would go something like....

Winners: West Ham

Runners Up: Birmingham

Play Offs: Reading, Burnley, Leicester and either Cardiff or Blackpool

Bottom 3: Watford, Palace, Peterborough

the oddschecker would have the league line up - my predicition in bold

West Ham - will be there or there abouts

Leicester - expect them to be in the play off push, not for top 2 though.

-----------------------------------

Birmingham - I expect Birmingham to be there or there abouts.

Reading - I think they'll be competitive for the play offs, they'll be one of the teams in for a chance

Middlesborough - They have a few young players coming through, think playoffs is a big ask, more likely midtable.

Forest - I think losing billy will hurt Forest, I doubt Mac will get the best out of Morgan, Chambers, Tudgay..etc

-----------------------------------

Cardiff - I expect Mackay to steady the ship, doubt they'll be in play off contention though.

Southampton - Another dark horse, but I can see them being there or there abouts.

Burnley - I think Burnley will do well, I would have them down for top 6.

Ipswich - unsure about Ipswich, they're always a tricky side to predict. I suspect they will do alright, solid season.

Leeds - Leeds have lost several key players already, tricky summer for them think they'll languish near the bottom.

Blackpool - I expect a hard crash down to earth, another club I expect to be lower midtable.

Brighton - They've come up and lost 2 of their key players, think they will be an anti-climax, lower midtable

Hull - They seem intent on battling us for players, I could see them doing alright, nothing outstanding push for top 12.

Portsmouth - Anyones guess, they'll be up against it to field a team for the first day.

Bristol City - If they lose Maynard, backs against the wall time if they don't comfortable mid table.

Derby - I think we'll do alright, I expect us to be competitive for the top 6, won't cry if we don't get there.

Millwall - I expect to struggle, stay up.. but struggle.

Watford - I think Watford will go down, 2 key players already gone.. it's not looking peachy!

Coventry - Coventry are hurt by losing King, and soon to be their keeper.. certainly will struggle IMO.

Palace - Palace, managed to sign Murray which was a surprise but let go of their best player, strugglers.

--------------------------------

Barnsley - Keith Hill is up against it, no doubt about it.. 2 weeks in and best player/captains gone, they'll fight though.

Doncaster - Don't see why they're tipped to be so lowly down, think they'll be alright myself.

Peterborough - Going on how they did last time, and back with a poorer side. I struggle to see how they'll do better!

I think looking at that, doesn't seem unreasonable to think we could do very well in the upcoming season, I don't see how Forest and Middlesborough are tipped to do so well, maybe it's bias on part but Forest seem to have a very thin squad now, if Moussi and Earnshaw go (which is looking more likely) then they need to add a few players, possibly even more than we have and if they're looking to go self sufficient then it's going to be hard for them, very hard.

West Ham, Brum, Reading, Leicester will all be there or thereabouts. Rubber face seems to have got Middlesboro' playing well in the latter half of last season as well so they'll probably figure, and then it's everyone else trying to get on the coat-tails in sixth place.

For me, the three promotion places will go to three of WHU, Brum, Reading and Leicester.

Archived