Our new signings - quantity over quality?

That is my opinion exactly some of the complaints on here is laughable. Maybe just maybe Clough does not want to play hoof ball to a big target man. Does this mean automatic relegation? You listen to some folk you would think so!

I thought we played the best football for the last ten years with Kuqi in the team? He is hardly a little pacy striker.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can see the team this year actually being that. A team and no body strutting about as if they don't need to fight for every ball because 'someone else will get it'. Yes Savage was a very good team player and a great influence but at times, the things he did seemed to heep the media onto him. Not the team, him. Even Bueno a fantastic player, due to my age of course he has to be one of the most talented i've seen in a Derby shirt. When he could be bothered of course and when people often did his work for him. Hopefully a different story this year!

I think Sav saw himself as a Mourinho type in that he tried to take the brunt of the media criticism on himself rather than let it get it through to the team. Admirable in sentiment if true, although at times, he often brought even more criticism both onto himself, and the team, because how he went about it.

I don't think we'll need that this year. Further to what Nigel said at the end of last season he's going out and getting leaders on the pitch - Shackell, Bryson, possibly Eustace all captained their clubs last year didn't they?

Bryson and Eustace did, not 100% on Shackell but he sounds like he did, plus he was the POY there and once again this season, we have beaten off competition for a player! Clough and Glick must definatly be saying the right things, now they have to go and back up there words with the team actually doing well!

Yes, we need to wait for a good few matches into the season before making a judgement, we then will know if the players purchased have the 'wow' factor and if the team as a whole is just that ' a team'. Think back to the signings of last season when it was announced that Bailey and Brayford had joined the Rams. 'Who',- 'Never heard of them' - 'From Crewe, huh', were the comments, but aren't we glad we got em, you bet we are.

Is it just me that thinks none of these players have much of a 'wow' factor, and many signings are being made in the wrong areas? Do we really need three new 'pacey' strikers in Robinson, Tyson and Maguire - surely a target man to finally replace Hulse is equally important, unless Ball is expected to step up? Why don't we appear to be prioritising full backs as a matter of urgency when we only have Brayford who's up to the task in those positions? Has the lack of creativity in the team with the departure of Commons and Bueno been addressed at all?

I don't think you can group Robinson, Tyson and Maguire in the same bracket. Tyson has been bought as a front man, Maguire in the wide forward role and Robinson one for the future/reserves/bin.

I do agree that a full back should be a priority but for all we know it is all happening behind the scenes. Even a promising loanee might be a good move as Roberts isn't a complete waste of space.

If you add Waghorn, DM and a new LB I will be impressed with the summer's business. Ward and Waghorn in the wide positions will create havok for most opposition defences. The CM might still be a bit of a worry though.

I don't think we'll need that this year. Further to what Nigel said at the end of last season he's going out and getting leaders on the pitch - Shackell, Bryson, possibly Eustace all captained their clubs last year didn't they?

That might help one of our (and most teams for that matter) major problems. Confidence on the ball. The ability and willingess to take the ball in tight situations, make yourself available to the person in possition and keeping a level head/diving when under pressure from the opposition.

That might help one of our (and most teams for that matter) major problems. Confidence on the ball. The ability and willingess to take the ball in tight situations, make yourself available to the person in possition and keeping a level head/diving when under pressure from the opposition.

Agreed. Although I would also add that there are a couple of stats that we would rather lose and that we have a chance of losing, with greater on-pitch leadership....

1) Most points lost in last 10 minutes of matches

2) Fewest points rescued from losing situations

And thats quite apart from revving up the back four into turning us a positive goal difference (when was the last time - 2007/08?).

ps i think we may be on the way to losing the "most hair accessories" award now we have lost Sav's tie'backs and if we persuade Barks to give up the Alice band.

Dear fellow Rams

There are obviously a lot of new arrivals at Pride Park this summer, a flurry of activity that's no doubt intended to show us fans that the board 'mean business' this coming season.

Is it just me that thinks none of these players have much of a 'wow' factor, and many signings are being made in the wrong areas? Do we really need three new 'pacey' strikers in Robinson, Tyson and Maguire - surely a target man to finally replace Hulse is equally important, unless Ball is expected to step up? Why don't we appear to be prioritising full backs as a matter of urgency when we only have Brayford who's up to the task in those positions? Has the lack of creativity in the team with the departure of Commons and Bueno been addressed at all?

Obviously we need to reserve judgement until a few weeks into the new campaign, but personally I don't see us being that much better than last season even with all our new signings.

We dont need a wow factor no fancy signings like Bellamy or Owen.

How many "wow" players did Norwich or Swansea have they still got promoted.

I like the way that these signing sare panning out. Obviously we have yet to see them play, and theyll need time to gel.

But the defence with Fielding in goal, Shackell and Barker at CB and Brayford and Roberts should be strong if they all stay fit.

And the forwards will not lack pace. Maybe still need a goalscorer tho and a midfielder. And cover for fullback.

Fielding, top class. Ward, top class. Robinson, very poor at finishing, still has a lot to learn. Bryson, cant judge not seen much of him hopefully hes a top player. Tyson, a very very good buy, if it wernt for the flag everyone will be over the moon with that signing. Shackell, a very very very solid defender and a good leader, second captin if barkers injured or suspended. so over all. Quality!

Fielding....not my first choice, a bit short but a good agile shot stopper. Les Green :)

Shackell.....good....rated him at Norwich, but why did it all go t1ts up at Wolves? A left footer!! :)

Bryson......havent got a clue

Ward........did well last year....not really a difficult decision :)

Robinson......nah

Tyson..........no

Eustace......no

Maguire..... no idea

Waghorn.....probably not

Finally.....Glick and GSE :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:....some reasonable investment

It doesn't bother me whether people are amazed at the signings or not. For me we need the right blend to add to the current team, whether its the starting XI or back up. We've seen where we've gone wrong over the past couple of seasons and we are correcting the faults.

People might not be happy with Tyson or Robinson, but give them time, they give us a different edge to the team what we haven't had lately, its about time we had some pace in the side rather than relying on our right back to do all the running. Plus it could mean some extra goals from the wider areas and both can play upfront so we have plenty of backup

Bryson might not be heard of, but from what we've all heard he's a top pro and he's been highly rated, Maguire is also highly rated, if we give them time to adapt to being at a bigger club they could go a long way for us.

Fielding was impressive last season and for the Under 21s, hopefully we can help his career get even better, nice to see a young quality keeper in the goal who the fans have taken a liking to already. Plus he was a bargain

Ward was also impressive so it made sense to sign him, which again was a cheap deal.

Shackell is just another Shaun Barker, can be great in the air, quality defender, might not be a big name to some but he's very experienced at this level, plus he's a leader (along with Bryson) and it's great to see we can have some actual leaders on the pitch this season

It does'nt matter what people think about the signings at the moment! What will matter is when we kick off and start playing. If we are not in the Top 12 by Xmas - it will be BAD. Therefore those signings will not

have been successful. If we are Top 10 or better - then GREAT

It doesn't matter if we aren't top 10 by Christmas, I'd rather finish the season strongly for once rather than wanting to season to end as quick as possible due to poor form.

I'd be happy with mid-table at Christmas, then push on for a playoff spot from then, maybe more

You can't say yay or neigh to a signing based purely on media repuation, and their stats.

Bellamy or Grant Holt? Kris Boyd or Danny Graham? Peter Whittingham or Max Gradel?

lets just see how they get on, in a year I wouldn't be surprised if we were saying Tyson has been sensational. Can any Derby fan say they've seen Tyson give a bad performance, last 4 occasions against us he has looked formindable the ONLY reason people have reservations about this signing is his record, but his record at Derby is nought in nought that's a 100% goal rate, so let's see what the bloke can do in the prime of his career!

Yes, hopefully Tyson can show us what he can do just like Commons did when he joined us, he excelled at Derby, apparantly put in better performances at Derby than he did at Forest, so I can't see why Tyson can't do the same.

On the plus side, he's surely due a goal against Forest to win over any of the so called 'haters'

With Shackell and Barker as our 'sold centre backs' we'll go down.. Brayford will be sold in January leaving us with 2 dodgy CBs, no RB, an old past-it LB that can barely run and our defensive cover either at Barnsley or on the treatment table.

Oh, and Ward will be our top goalscorer for the season. With 8 goals.

With Shackell and Barker as our 'sold centre backs' we'll go down.. Brayford will be sold in January leaving us with 2 dodgy CBs, no RB, an old past-it LB that can barely run and our defensive cover either at Barnsley or on the treatment table.

Oh, and Ward will be our top goalscorer for the season. With 8 goals.

I hear they had medications these days for this problem, maybe you should talk to your local doctor.

Archived