Our new signings - quantity over quality?

Dear fellow Rams

There are obviously a lot of new arrivals at Pride Park this summer, a flurry of activity that's no doubt intended to show us fans that the board 'mean business' this coming season.

Is it just me that thinks none of these players have much of a 'wow' factor, and many signings are being made in the wrong areas? Do we really need three new 'pacey' strikers in Robinson, Tyson and Maguire - surely a target man to finally replace Hulse is equally important, unless Ball is expected to step up? Why don't we appear to be prioritising full backs as a matter of urgency when we only have Brayford who's up to the task in those positions? Has the lack of creativity in the team with the departure of Commons and Bueno been addressed at all?

Obviously we need to reserve judgement until a few weeks into the new campaign, but personally I don't see us being that much better than last season even with all our new signings.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that 'wow' signings are over-rated, and rarely get you anywhere than in **** with a stupid wage bill. Looks at successful teams, and please note I said TEAMS, void of stars but had round pegs in round holes, with good team spirit and able to execute a game plan. I for one am pleased with signings so far, and hopefully we will see the fruits from this in the new season.

I think actually wanting to play for the shirt and the club is underrated! Much rather have hungry or young players with a point to prove than primadonnas or has/never-was beens.

Dear fellow Rams

There are obviously a lot of new arrivals at Pride Park this summer, a flurry of activity that's no doubt intended to show us fans that the board 'mean business' this coming season.

Is it just me that thinks none of these players have much of a 'wow' factor, and many signings are being made in the wrong areas? Do we really need three new 'pacey' strikers in Robinson, Tyson and Maguire - surely a target man to finally replace Hulse is equally important, unless Ball is expected to step up? Why don't we appear to be prioritising full backs as a matter of urgency when we only have Brayford who's up to the task in those positions? Has the lack of creativity in the team with the departure of Commons and Bueno been addressed at all?

Obviously we need to reserve judgement until a few weeks into the new campaign, but personally I don't see us being that much better than last season even with all our new signings.

What are you talking about? We've signed Nathan Tyson?!

"ThePekingHomunculus, post: 177544"

Is it just me that thinks none of these players have much of a 'wow' factor,

Fielding is a great buy. Ward and Shackell are decent signings.

I know nothing about Bryson and Maguire. Robinson is poor but still young. Tyson is ****.

Do we really need three new 'pacey' strikers in Robinson, Tyson and Maguire - surely a target man to finally replace Hulse is equally important,

Could not agree more.

Well... Let's start with no wow factor:

Frank Fielding - The England U21 goalkeeper and a standout for us last season, not to mention a good shout for the gloves for the national side someway down the track. I'd call that a wow factor!

Jason Shackell - There aren't too many "wow factor" defenders.

Chris Maguire - Goal against Iceland was decent, but he's not really a "pacey striker" either. He's the creative player that we've signed.

We're still signing players too. It seems that we're trying to create some depth in the side and it looks like we're actually doing that. We'll have to wait for the season to start, but really, give it time.

Also, Hulse wasn't a "target man", though he was good in the air. We don't really need a big striker, what we need is one who is both a goal threat and a pest up front, sort of a young Dickov or Kuqi. Though Dickov and Kuqi didn't have the goals, though Kuqi had the power in the air. We'll see who we sign up front, hopefully it'll be Waghorn, but let's just wait for now.

People are never happy sometimes. Its a joke

That is very true, we'd be hard pushed to find a signing everyone agreed with unless we was to sign a world class player which clearly isn't going to happen. I just admit haven't seen that much bad press about Shackell but I suppose it isn't official yet, plenty of time for peole to log on and moan! What they will say about him is anyones guess, but I'm looking forward to a few ridiculous comments like 'he is just like barker' 'we spent 1million on a centre back when we need a left back' 'why are we signing centre backs'..etc can see it now, despite the fact he is going to improve our team massively they'll pick holes, no doubt!

Fielding is a great buy. Ward and Shackell are decent signings.

I know nothing about Bryson and Maguire. Robinson is poor but still young. Tyson is ****.

Could not agree more.

A target man is useful if you are intending playing long ball, I don't think this is NCs intention.

Barcelona do pretty well without a target man.

The current squad is very thin defensively. A couple of injuries and we are in big trouble, but I assume that the aimwould be to use emergency loans to fill these gaps.

Think we have more than enough centre backs but the full back positions we are lacking. Apparently Shackell can play left back so he can cover for Roberts. Don't appear to have cover for Brayford.

Dear fellow Rams

I think spending around a million on Shackell is about as "wow" as most championship clubs can muster. Ward would have been a "wow" if he had been scoring the goals for Sheff utd rather than on loan with us towards the end off the season (and hence the asking price would have been much higher). Fielding would have been "wow" if we had paid more for him I think- it seems that too much is placed on how much was spent rather than how good the signing actually is. As for not signing LB yet- exactly "yet" is the word. There is plenty of time left for this. I am very happy with the way things have gone so far, With Shackell joining today I would be happy if we only signed a LB and maybe a CM or DM. Another striker would be nice but I am not too worried if we don't get one.

A target man is useful if you are intending playing long ball, I don't think this is NCs intention.

Barcelona do pretty well without a target man.

That is my opinion exactly some of the complaints on here is laughable. Maybe just maybe Clough does not want to play hoof ball to a big target man. Does this mean automatic relegation? You listen to some folk you would think so!

how about we actually watch the team play a few games before we say how good/bad the player's and team are, how about letting the player's do the talking on the pitch wearing our shirt rather than criticising before we've seen them play together, shall we actually one day support our team rather than slate everything that is done. Oh, and then i wake up from my dream of fan's with common sense :rolleyes:

That is my opinion exactly some of the complaints on here is laughable. Maybe just maybe Clough does not want to play hoof ball to a big target man. Does this mean automatic relegation? You listen to some folk you would think so!

Would not surprise me if some of the people who moan about us not having a target man are the same people who moan when we play long ball!

This.

Can it really be any worse than the last couple of years?

I doubt it will to be honest, as much as i would love to see Kuqi or a similar type of player in our side i feel happy that we haven't got a target man just so we can't hoof it at every chance we get! If we show half the standard of football with had in the small good patch we had last season most of us will be very happy!

I don't think it'll be that bad either.

I think we need to ship out the likes of Bywater, Leacock and Pearson if only to blow away the last few cobwebs of the loser mentality that's built up since the Premier League campaign.

Hopefully that will convey itself to the stands as well, as it's still rife there on matchdays as well, hence the immediate frustrations from the crowd at the first misplaced pass in games.

Archived