Potential Scottish Signings

Bingy

To be fair, Clough came out and said that we would be buying proven Championship players, you could argue that apart from Celtic and Rangers the rest of the SPL is to a lower Championship/League 1 standard. I'm not to fussed who we buy as long as they're good enough, but the names being thrown around are hardly inspiring.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry but i haven't said that in my post, i am not saying i am not keen on them, but it is a massive risk if these are the players we are going to rely on and it would be better if they were more of a supplement with a backbone of more experienced players.

I do not want to pre judge our potential signings, but with this heavy Scottish Premier bias on our potential signings, is anyone worried that we are going down the Gordon Strachan / Middlesborough route?

I know they finished strong but with the budget and squad should have been in the play offs at least.

Is the Scottish Premier an equivalent to the Championship? For me it is around the lower end of the Championship for quality, however excluding the big two the crowds are League 1.

I have to say that on the basis of who is supposed to be signing for us in the next few weeks i think a few refunds are on the cards after all just who the hell are these players?, can they get us out of the c'ship?, my opinion is the same as it was when these septic tanks(yanks) took ownership of our club and that is they wont spend feck all ………..

I have to say that on the basis of who is supposed to be signing for us in the next few weeks i think a few refunds are on the cards after all just who the hell are these players?, can they get us out of the c'ship?, my opinion is the same as it was when these septic tanks(yanks) took ownership of our club and that is they wont spend feck all ………..

So because you haven't heard of them, they're not good signings?

And as for your "won't spend feck all" statement - £15m of their own money has been put in to the club. Not to mention:

Craig Bryson - £300k bid

Chris Maguire - £400k tribunal fee

Ward, Fielding and Robinson - Rumoured to be around £900k for the lot

Waghorn - £1m bid

Shackell - £700k bid

Whilst these signings aren't going to win us this league, that's a team well capable of getting us in to the play-offs.

duracell i would have to disagree, with the teams coming down, going up and other teams in this league strengthening big time this is a mid table time

As we only proved last season, the difference between bottom 6 and being one of the best teams in the league is Kris Commons.

I don't buy this idea that you get mid-table clubs, play-off clubs and relegation clubs. That's rubbish. Doncaster have looked like play-off material and relegation material with little change to their team.

Our squad is an average Championship squad, no more, no less. I'm sure we can agree that most of these players are better than what we have. Therefore, we have a great chance of becoming a top 6 side.

It still doesn't diminish our chances of being bottom either, just reduces them slightly. You have to remember - this league's a lottery.

i would argue we have a below average squad, as shown by our 19th place finish and our points total, we were already on our downward spiral when commons was here as well, fielding, ward and robinson were part of the squad that finished 19th as well. It would take a big leap of faith to say these players would take us from 19th to the top 6 for me, there are so many strong teams this year i would say there are 10-12 teams who are a good deal better than us at the moment.

I'm going to try something this summer that may sound daft, it may sound crazy, you might think I've had a few beers....I have actually but I'm still with it.

Anyhow, what am I going to try I hear you all ask?...well I'm going to wait until the signings we make have played at least 20 games in a Derby County shirt before making any judgement. I'm not going to whine if they have ginger hair, I'm not going to whine if we only paid £50 for them, I even won't whine if they have only played in the Marketon Park Sunday Z League.

'Experienced' Championship players mean jack to me

How much we paid for a player means jack to me

Hair colour, jack

Shoe size, jack

Ding dong size, jack

Lipstick preference, jack

The only thing that does mean jack to me is how well they perform in a Derby County shirt next season.

You know what the great thing is, for those who do want to whine, don't worry...go down Pride Park before August and ask for a refund, sorted!

we deffo finished in 19th and it was a disapointment BUT we did have a passage in teh season where we played well and were in the top six and it was with some of these players so i reckon if some of these signings stop us giving away silly goals, stop goalkeeping errors, replace robbie savage in midfield and add a bit of bite and providing ward plays like he has and gets afew more goals and we sign a couple of strikers that can really score then i cant see why we cant be in the lottery for the top 6

i know i said this before ended up total wrong but clough is very good at picking out talent, we don't know how there going to cope with the champship until they play in the team, but don't forget we have the likes of callium ball and cykwa and also conner doyle and 3 premership teams are going to have to sell there top players. they could tear this divison and be final peaces in the puzzle, but eathier there going to need time to settle in the team. and plus we still have luke varney but looking likley to be sold. but if not i would say to him if i was nigal right varney i know we have not seen eye to eye on things, but i am going to give you one last chance to turn things around and fight for the shirt.

I'm going to try something this summer that may sound daft, it may sound crazy, you might think I've had a few beers....I have actually but I'm still with it.

Anyhow, what am I going to try I hear you all ask?...well I'm going to wait until the signings we make have played at least 20 games in a Derby County shirt before making any judgement. I'm not going to whine if they have ginger hair, I'm not going to whine if we only paid £50 for them, I even won't whine if they have only played in the Marketon Park Sunday Z League.

Hair colour, jack

Shoe size, jack

Ding dong size, jack

The only thing that does mean jack to me is how well they perform in a Derby County shirt next season.

You know what the great thing is, for those who do want to whine, don't worry...go down Pride Park before August and ask for a refund, sorted!

I think with this high volume of change in the squad that we as fans will have to be a little patient and allow the players to settle.

Let's try and be unique and not search and look for a scape goat, you know what I'm talking about. Every club has one (or more) and the fans are there waiting for him to have his first bad touch or first misplaced pass and you hear a disgruntled mumble on the terraces, next mistake they are shouting for the manager to take him off, eventually leading to over enthusiastic clapping when substituted or the dreaded booing.

I wouldn't give a toss if we don't sign any big name players, I genuinely wouldn't support a player any less on where he came from or what he has done in the past, for me as soon as he signs on that dotted line and pulls on that shirt.. that's the start of his career, not what has happened previously.

I really trust Cloughs judgement, signing Bailey for 400k was a massive gamble since he was in and out of a league two side.. he has been a massive player for us this season, when he was out the team we looked half a team in midfield.

There was so many much more proven players in the championship signed that didn't make half the impact, just because you're proven in the past doesn't mean f*ck all.

i know i said this before ended up total wrong but clough is very good at picking out talent, we don't know how there going to cope with the champship until they play in the team, but don't forget we have the likes of callium ball and cykwa and also conner doyle and 3 premership teams are going to have to sell there top players. they could tear this divison and be final peaces in the puzzle, but eathier there going to need time to settle in the team. and plus we still have luke varney but looking likley to be sold. but if not i would say to him if i was nigal right varney i know we have not seen eye to eye on things, but i am going to give you one last chance to turn things around and fight for the shirt.

Hair colour, jack

Shoe size, jack

Ding dong size, jack

If we sign a player called Jack will it still mean Jack?

We are in for players quite a few of us won't have seen a lot of. Apart from the games against us, we judge what we see based on hearsay, TV highlights, mates, match reports etc. Bottom line you have to trust the scouts and Clough to have tracked these targets and have done their homework. I'm not enthralled by the names so far but then I haven't really seen these players play. We need to strengthen several positions so clearly aren't going to be throwing around 1million plus on marque signings for each position. The value is in the players who aren't household names yet. But it seems like the club are trying.

Archived