Potential Scottish Signings

Bingy

So because you haven't heard of them, they're not good signings?

And as for your "won't spend feck all" statement - £15m of their own money has been put in to the club. Not to mention:

Craig Bryson - £300k bid

Chris Maguire - £400k tribunal fee

Ward, Fielding and Robinson - Rumoured to be around £900k for the lot

Waghorn - £1m bid

Shackell - £700k bid

Whilst these signings aren't going to win us this league, that's a team well capable of getting us in to the play-offs.

Add on agents fees / signing on fees etc and those transfers will add up to 5M and the wages will likely add up to 6M over three years so that's an outlay of 11M.

Some utterly ridiculous comments on here. Just what have experienced big name players done for us in the past apart from put us in the predicament we are in.

What is wrong with Scottish players? I couldn't care less where they are from. What Scottish players do give you is a little more value for money than their English counterparts.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the point we need to remember is this is massive overhaul of the squad being organised. Its simply cheaper to bring in players from Scotland as they would be on lower wages in the first place. The likes of Maguire, Bryson and Rooney would all be available at a cheaper price than three players, on a par with them, currently in the championship.They are all gambles, but Clough has seen enough in them to give them a chance in the championship. Other players we have been linked with are from teams who have dropped out of the championship Players like Paul Hayes and Darren Carter, from Preston and Mirfin the Ox from Ssausagehorpe. Add to that Tyson and these names may not fill fans with excitement, Clough obviously feels he could reignite their careers and get the best out of them

So considering its a squad Clough is building, he is using his knowledge of players he's tracked in the past on the whole. Part of the reason Clough has been scouting talent in Scotland, is that he has previously been denied funds, so has tracked some of the cheaper options already.

Already 3 players have been confirmed. Clough has talked of wanting another 6 players or so. 9 new signings potentially is almost a completely new team, built around Barker and Brayford and new arrivals Fielding and Ward.

Savage, Porter, Bueno, and fringe players Mendy, and Mills have all gone.

6 players are likely to be shipped out as well; Bywater, Varney, Martin, Croft, Leacock

Most teams in the Championship are not planning this kind of squad overhall.

The Board has forced Clough to massively cut the clubs wage bill over the past two seasons. bringing in six more players who are all established big name players, would mean raising the wage bill up again to a level which is , who would have not seen as sustainable by the board. Remember Norwich and Swansea both have a wage bill about the same or less than ours was this year.

Another fact is we finished 19th and just avoided the drop. Looking at the names emerging, they are players Clough has had in mind and had watched for a while, not just this summer. Tyson was meant to have been linked up with us last year,

Maguire was considered in January. the dutch player was obviously on the verge of signing last summer

While we may want to see "names" arrive, as Clough is trying to put together a new side, some will have to be squad players

Add to those players the potential fees involved in bringing in a player like Shackell, who is still under contract, team captain and was player of the year from Barnsley, and someone like Waghorn, who Leicester are wanting to hang on to and you can guess that Clough would have to fork out most of the budget on one or both of these kind of signings.

I do not want to pre judge our potential signings, but with this heavy Scottish Premier bias on our potential signings, is anyone worried that we are going down the Gordon Strachan / Middlesborough route?

I know they finished strong but with the budget and squad should have been in the play offs at least.

Is the Scottish Premier an equivalent to the Championship? For me it is around the lower end of the Championship for quality, however excluding the big two the crowds are League 1.

No.

Middlesbrough signed a load of well established players from up there, players who had won things with their clubs, but couldn't take the step in to English football. The players we are looking at are relatively young and/or unproven at a top level and will probably have room to develop. McCarthy a Wigan is an example.

If we sign a player called Jack will it still mean Jack?

Jack Wilshere would be more than Jack, but he's not an 'experienced Championship' player so I'm probably on me own with that one.

Who cares where the players come from and what the standard of football is where they currently play. Alot of players improve when they play for better teams, and alot of players are at poor clubs to start with dependent on their catchment area. Scotland might be looked at as a poor league but there has been some quality Scottish players in the past so why can't these be great in the future?

We've signed players from the likes of Crewe (Brayford and Bailey), and even Nuneaton Borough (Malcolm Christie). They've all made the step up so I'll look forward to any more 'unknown' gems

They probably are lining up experienced Championship players, players who have played 100+ games in this league, they don't have to be 35 years old, someone like Shackell who is 27 and has played nearly 200 games is experienced.

Tyson would be another with Championship experience, if they go for Eustace he would have that in abundance and we are yet to hear who they are wanting for the left back spot

tyson is not successful however he has been poor for forest, and where you sign a player from can have an effect, there have been a few real successes e.g. dorrans and snodgrass, however there have been numerous failures from the scottish leagues

The blend of players is looking good, young players who are looking for that next step up, pacey players, players who know where the goal is, experience players who are also leaders.

I re-iterate we need to be patient and allow these players to become a team. A late run like Reading's is much better than an early run like ours.

tyson is not successful however he has been poor for forest, and where you sign a player from can have an effect, there have been a few real successes e.g. dorrans and snodgrass, however there have been numerous failures from the scottish leagues

I bet there has been more flops from the English Leagues, I'm sure last summer you was picking at every player we was linked with including Brayford and Bailey. I'm also sure that once again most people were willing to actually give them a chance in a Derby shirt.

i will give them a chance but tysons record in this league isn't impressive tbh.

Well if you believe the rumours then he doesn't want in anyhow so it's abit of a duff subject tbh imho.

Tyson might be a flop at Forest, and all of the Forest fans I know have told me he's useless, but you can't hide the fact he would be seen as a player with Championship experience, and a player with pace, 2 things Clough is looking for.

People have to realise we finished 19th, we aren't a side known for knocking of the door of promotion or the playoffs. We aren't going to be signing the best players in the league, so signing players from Scotland or players like Tyson who won't really excite any of us should be expected in my opinion

sorry but if we buy experienced players who are known to be crap at this level why buy them, you are justifying the unjustifiable

If they were that crap they wouldn't be at this level, if you think about it.

Archived