Potential Scottish Signings

Bingy

I do not want to pre judge our potential signings, but with this heavy Scottish Premier bias on our potential signings, is anyone worried that we are going down the Gordon Strachan / Middlesborough route?

I know they finished strong but with the budget and squad should have been in the play offs at least.

Is the Scottish Premier an equivalent to the Championship? For me it is around the lower end of the Championship for quality, however excluding the big two the crowds are League 1.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it doesn't, however it is harder to judge a players true ability depending on which league he is in, it is a safer bet to buy players which are proven in the league you are in, it is normally more of a gamble to buy a player who has no track record of being prolific or successful in the league you are in, especially if it is in a lesser league. If they are good enough then yes they are good enough and congratulations should go to the manager who signed the player and had faith in him.

Rangers and Celtic would slot into the Premier League, the rest of the SPL would be middle to lower end of the Championship, and possibly a few even lower than that.

That's largely irrelevant when it comes to signings though as we'd happily take Billy Sharp off of Doncaster given the chance and they're down the lower end of the Championship. Likewise how many people want Le Fondre from a lower league? How many would turn down Rickie Lambert from Southampton?

For our signings you'd have to look at whether we were getting average players from the SPL or the better players. Bryson's Kilmarnock's captain, Rooney is Caley's top scorer - he only scored 5 less SPL goals than Hooper and we'd have loved to have had him here this season. Maguire - 130+ games for Aberdeen, a constant U21 international and recently won his first cap for the full team.

It's clear that we're not just signing average players from Scotland, but the better ones from the respective clubs, the ones that Rangers and Celtic haven't already snapped up at least!

Some players perform at some clubs but not at others, take John Stead for example, very good at Huddersfield but very poor at Blackburn an Sunderland, but he came to us and was very influential (imo the 1st person should have signed in Jan transfer window)

Other players score goals wherever they have played get to a club and can't score for toffee, look at Robbie Keane at Liverpool and Schevchenko at Chelsea, and so far Torres, how much more "proven" do you want?

Sometimes players just click at a club and everything goes their way, and sometimes nothing goes their way and they are deemed failures at that particular club (stern John?)

they are gambles and the people in charge need to recognise this, they need to back these up with proven successful championship players

Yeah if we just left it to young ram15 we'd be very prudent in the transfer market. ;)

Rangers and Celtic would slot into the Premier League, the rest of the SPL would be middle to lower end of the Championship, and possibly a few even lower than that.

That's largely irrelevant when it comes to signings though as we'd happily take Billy Sharp off of Doncaster given the chance and they're down the lower end of the Championship. Likewise how many people want Le Fondre from a lower league? How many would turn down Rickie Lambert from Southampton?

For our signings you'd have to look at whether we were getting average players from the SPL or the better players. Bryson's Kilmarnock's captain, Rooney is Caley's top scorer - he only scored 5 less SPL goals than Hooper and we'd have loved to have had him here this season. Maguire - 130+ games for Aberdeen, a constant U21 international and recently won his first cap for the full team.

It's clear that we're not just signing average players from Scotland, but the better ones from the respective clubs, the ones that Rangers and Celtic haven't already snapped up at least!

I don't want to sound harsh but getting capped for scotland doesn't mean your good, e.g. pearson, teale etc, rooney i haven't commented upon and hooper has been injured for a good part of this season, bryson again is a risk and they have to be represented like that because they are a gamble.

I don't want to sound harsh but getting capped for scotland doesn't mean your good, e.g. pearson, teale etc, rooney i haven't commented upon and hooper has been injured for a good part of this season, bryson again is a risk and they have to be represented like that because they are a gamble.

Never said it did - only that it means you're better than the other Scottish players that aren't being selected. As such, we're looking at the 'better' Scottish players rather than the riff-raff that we normally would be trying to get in.

Perhaps we've learn't the lesson of buying fringe players like Pearson and Teale and instead started to look at the best players at the respective clubs outside of the auld firm.

tbh teale used to be very good and the midfield which wigan had with him, bullard McCullouck was the best midfield in division 1 history for me tbh. I think we would look for these players anyway, all i am saying about them is that they are gambles and unless they are backed up by proven successful championship players a lot will be there a lot of pressure and a lot of risk for these players.

They are gambles, but in our position they'd have to be. I'll agree though that the other supplemental players need to be proven championship players, rather than from the lower leagues.

yes, that is what we need, we need proven championship players with these as a supplement to that.

surley we just want the best players for our money? i mean if we buy good young hungry player from whevever then maybe they may turn out to be good at this level maybe even better...rather than just buyin proven championship player we have to ditch when we get promoted

You've just got to wait and see, unless you've watched them a few times for 90 minutes you've got no idea how good they are. It's just down to trusting Clough's judgement, which i personally dont, but lets see how they do. Could be the next Dorrans or the next Kris Boyd.

i am not doubting these could come good, and every transfer is a gamble what i am saying is i would feel a lot happier and so would the buys i imagine is if they bought the proven championship players (which we were promised) and add these guys as a bit of a supplement so if they come good great, if they aren't that great in the first season but could be good in the future it isn't a disaster.

you seem to have proven champinship players tourrettes......

as lots of poeple have stated it just doesnt work out at clubs sometimes so even if we could(which we cant) afford to buy 8 players from cardiff/reading/forest lets say half of them might not work out aka croft then even though they had the proven champ players labels in you love we would be in the same position as buying the scottish kids your not keen on..

its just you not keen on clough and dont trust his judgement...how mant threads can you spin this onto?

ok its your opinion but i dont agree with you

Archived