Tom glick on the train to palace!!!

trooper

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel Clough has X amount of years experience in Football management compared to the combined 0 years all the members on this forum have, true.

But does that mean we are never able to question a managers signings and tactics? If that's a case should I shut down DCFC Fans now as I don't see what we could possibly discuss on here unless we just kept open the Off Topic and Entertainment boards.

And if we are not allowed to question Nigel Clough, surely that applies to GSE does it not?, how many members can say they have ever ran a professional football club? I'm guessing 0, so how are we able to demand more investment, and question how they go about signing players?

Football is more than just about the players running around kicking a bag of air, it's about the fans and opinions. I personally don't have an opinion or discuss what goes on behind closed doors because to be quite honest I would be talking out my arse becuase I simply don't know what goes on.

When I listen/watch Derby and I see us bring on a defender for a defender in the 80th minute when we are 1-0 down, or I see us playing a left back up front then I will have an opinion on that, I probably won't be as vocal as some others but that's just me.

Nigel Clough has X amount of years experience in Football management compared to the combined 0 years all the members on this forum have, true.

But does that mean we are never able to question a managers signings and tactics? If that's a case should I shut down DCFC Fans now as I don't see what we could possibly discuss on here unless we just kept open the Off Topic and Entertainment boards.

And if we are not allowed to question Nigel Clough, surely that applies to GSE does it not?, how many members can say they have ever ran a professional football club? I'm guessing 0, so how are we able to demand more investment, and question how they go about signing players?

Football is more than just about the players running around kicking a bag of air, it's about the fans and opinions. I personally don't have an opinion or discuss what goes on behind closed doors because to be quite honest I would be talking out my arse becuase I simply don't know what goes on.

When I listen/watch Derby and I see us bring on a defender for a defender in the 80th minute when we are 1-0 down, or I see us playing a left back up front then I will have an opinion on that, I probably won't be as vocal as some others but that's just me.

Excellent post.:)

Good post. Congrats on your first one:D

We've all seen a numerous times at Derby what happens when we spend beyond our means as well as what happens every time the management team is replaced...yet most people either want a new manager or a board that will 'invest' millions. When Pickering invested/gave us millions we still ended up in a mess. It may be boring for a while, but maybe we should stick with long term plan of operating at a sustainable level with a long term manager building a good team over a number of seasons?

Think GSE shot themselves in the foot a bit this year though and set their plan back a season or two. Hopefully they realise this and the summer will see them invest some cash. Things have been pretty bad for the last 4 months, but 2-3 decent players can turn us into promotion contenders, anything can happen in this league.

Even this year, we are 'only' 16 points of the playoffs and have thrown away god knows how many points at the end of games. With just a little bit more resilience in the final 5 mins, we would be just outside the playoffs, but with hardly any difference in the overall performances. I'm not saying we deserve it, just that this league is so average/tight that you don't have to be much good to get promoted.

Then everything changes-unless you've got a squad full of expensive journeymen who aren't good enough for the Prem that is.

Dont bother, Clough lovers fail to see any of this.

Not true...

We just accept that he isn't perfect and still has a lot to learn, but think he should be given time to do the job. Some will say 2 years is enough time to get it right, but is it really. Some players comming in will fail and will have to be replaced - its the same at all clubs.

Coventry have had 10 managers in 10 years - where has it got them?

All managers make mistakes, and repeat them over and over again.

Winger didn't buy a goalkeeper even when all Arsenal fans could see they needed one to really compete.

Fergie continues to play 'weakened' sides and then drops points or struggles against smaller clubs.

They all do it.

Form over the last 8 games

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D1/oform.html

Only Preston and Muddlesbrough of the teams below us ate in better firm than us. We are above Florist too.

Preston and Boro have taken 1 and 2 points more than us and the rest have taken 2 or 3 less than us over the past 8 games. Considering we need to lose 9 points to those teams below us to get dragged into the bottom 3 I think it is very unlikely we will go down.

Not true...

We just accept that he isn't perfect and still has a lot to learn, but think he should be given time to do the job. Some will say 2 years is enough time to get it right, but is it really. Some players comming in will fail and will have to be replaced - its the same at all clubs.

Coventry have had 10 managers in 10 years - where has it got them?

All managers make mistakes, and repeat them over and over again.

Winger didn't buy a goalkeeper even when all Arsenal fans could see they needed one to really compete.

Fergie continues to play 'weakened' sides and then drops points or struggles against smaller clubs.

They all do it.

It's not the fan's fault Tel, they are fed a diet of sensationalism from the media, desperate to make a story out of anything and everything. Slow and steady means nothing in this 24/7 rolling world. Their just following the fashion. Patience was a virtue. And if it isn't a story about the war or the royals, then history must be of no relevence either or fans would remember what happens every time we change manager. Everything must be categorised black or white, blind faith or wrist slashers, clough lover or anti-clough. This is how the world works, we can hardly expect to be different.

I've would never gainsay anyones right to have and voice their opinion. That's not my point and, of course, debating our opinions is all part of being a fan.

Where I depart from that is this rediculous notion where some fans get to thinking that they actually have superior knowledge on something they've never done in their life - like as if they were in charge we would win more games - therefore when the manager doesn't do the things they think should be done, they start winding up everyone else and pushing for the manager to be replaced.

The huge area I would give GSE 100% credit on is the way they have point blank refused to get into any sort of debate on changing the management. It sickens me seeing chairmen at clubs bowing to dozy-fan pressure and sacking managers every five minutes.

It's not about 'Clough-loving'. That's just a stupid phrase offered by people who aren't intelligent enough to understand the real reasons why so many fans call for Clough to be properly backed rather than replaced.

I've would never gainsay anyones right to have and voice their opinion. That's not my point and, of course, debating our opinions is all part of being a fan.

Where I depart from that is this rediculous notion where some fans get to thinking that they actually have superior knowledge on something they've never done in their life - like as if they were in charge we would win more games - therefore when the manager doesn't do the things they think should be done, they start winding up everyone else and pushing for the manager to be replaced.

The huge area I would give GSE 100% credit on is the way they have point blank refused to get into any sort of debate on changing the management. It sickens me seeing chairmen at clubs bowing to dozy-fan pressure and sacking managers every five minutes.

It's not about 'Clough-loving'. That's just a stupid phrase offered by people who aren't intelligent enough to understand the real reasons why so many fans call for Clough to be properly backed rather than replaced.

Great post :D

It's not the fan's fault Tel, they are fed a diet of sensationalism from the media, desperate to make a story out of anything and everything. Slow and steady means nothing in this 24/7 rolling world. Their just following the fashion. Patience was a virtue. And if it isn't a story about the war or the royals, then history must be of no relevence either or fans would remember what happens every time we change manager. Everything must be categorised black or white, blind faith or wrist slashers, clough lover or anti-clough. This is how the world works, we can hardly expect to be different.

I don't agree. I know somepeople can't help themselves, but others can I and believe it's up to those who can put a reasonable, balanced argument to do so. If we don't we might as well just hand our brains over to the media, give in and sack every manager everytime some fan or other starts calling for his head.

I have mates who constantly take the p1ss about me posting on here, saying I'm wasting my time, you can't educate pork and all the usual jibes. My view is that silence is acceptance, therefore it's important to try and add some reason, even when faced with the unreasonable.

I don't agree. I know somepeople can't help themselves, but others can I and believe it's up to those who can put a reasonable, balanced argument to do so. If we don't we might as well just hand our brains over to the media, give in and sack every manager everytime some fan or other starts calling for his head.

I have mates who constantly take the p1ss about me posting on here, saying I'm wasting my time, you can't educate pork and all the usual jibes. My view is that silence is acceptance, therefore it's important to try and add some reason, even when faced with the unreasonable.

I admire your patience Pete and agree with most of your points regarding Clough and the hand he's been dealt by the Board/GSE.

Some fans, (not just on here, I include a couple of good mates who I go the games with), were against Clough's appointment in the first place and will leap on any comment, interview, substitution, mis-kick, let alone a poor team performance to abuse him. They'll even give credit to Metgod when we play well and blame to Clough when we don't!

I seriously doubt that they'd be happy if or when Clough has the means to put together a promotion side.

There are plenty though, who like you say, stay silent for fear of being shot down by the anti-clough mob.

There are also plenty (prob the majority) who remain unsure of Clough's ability as a manager due to the financial constraints he's working under.

I believe he has done as well as anyone else could have done given the same circumstances. He has shown us the type of football he wants us to play when he feels he has the right players. What he needs now is the board to trust him and allow him to spend on genuine squad strengthening and to give the fans a bit of hope to cling on to.

Some fans, (not just on here, I include a couple of good mates who I go the games with), were against Clough's appointment in the first place and will leap on any comment, interview, substitution, mis-kick, let alone a poor team performance to abuse him. They'll even give credit to Metgod when we play well and blame to Clough when we don't!

I seriously doubt that they'd be happy if or when Clough has the means to put together a promotion side.

Is that the case on here tho? I'm not naming names but I feel we have around 5-10 that would fall in that category. The older members on here pre DET apart from 1 that has left us, I never got the impression we had any real out and out Clough haters that would never give credit where credit is due.

I think the time has arrived where it wouldn't be totally unreasonable to question Clough's suitability for the job. Any valid points that people may have, the "he hasn't had enough money" argument is thrown back at them, whilst that may be true there is still a case to question if he is the right man for the job.

Caught the 10.20 train to palace yesterday and who happened to be on the train?? Tom glick.. Although a few people were being all nice to him I decided to get straight to the point!!

Where's the f**king money I asked... I got the old( in a American accent) oh C'mon pal give me a break!! But he did say that we are not yet self sufficient. He also said ( although prob spin) that there will be a huge re-build in the summer and there is a wanted list.. I asked him if nugent was on the list to which he replied no he isn't but Tyson is someone we are interested in! Told him to expect a potential backlash on that one.. Also questioned him about Frank fielding to which he said it was a oversight and could not say to much due to potential trouble from the league!! But he did say to expect a announcement on may 9th!!

To be honest he came across as a fairly decent fella and was happy to chat for 10-15 minutes about the situation! Asked him the big question we all want to know.... When are the yanks selling up.. He asked if that is what I'd like.. I replied yes if you don't concentrate on the playing side of things.

He said we have to get our house in order before we go big!! ( prob bull) but I reminded him that they seem more interested in curry nights and things like that than the team!

Let's just see if he was talking tosh or not!!

Interesting that he said to you Fielding situation was an oversight. How come Clough said on Radio Derby, they knew about it? :confused:

Archived