Bywater to Cardiff

kanedavid

Having seen something interesting last week from a poster on here, i wouldn't be suprised if it's because of his Twittereringings.

Could have read it how i wanted to, but that's the conclusion i came to.....it's all in the "Has stephen bywater got twitter" thread.

i think you are correct with your assuptions!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope Bywater doesn't read this thread - some of the comments seem a bit harsh. I’m not sure, but wasn’t he the runner up for the Jack Stamps trophy last year? Many thought his performances last season kept us out of a more serious relegation battle.

I didn’t think he was playing any differently this season compared to last –he’s still an excellent shot stopper with lousy distribution.

Is he going for non-football reasons? I like Fielding but other positions look a much bigger priority.

Cardiff City have signed Derby County goalkeeper Stephen Bywater on loan until the end of the season.

Bywater, 29, has recovered from a rib injury but is unlikely to oust Frank Fielding who is with the Rams for the remaining 12 games of the season.

The deal has a clause allowing Derby to recall Bywater with 24 hours notice.

He is the second keeper Cardiff have signed in 24 hours after Jason Brown arrived on a month's loan from Blackburn Rovers on Thursday.

The Bluebirds need goalkeepers because first-choice keeper Tom Heaton has a groin injury and is out for up to five weeks.

Heaton's deputy David Marshall is out for the rest of the season after having elbow reconstruction surgery.

"We didn't have a goalkeeper in the football club so it was a case of we needed two in and thankfully we got them," said Cardiff boss Dave Jones.

"We were looking at outfield players to go in goal the other day, but that's what the emergency loan is there for.

"We were just unfortunate that Tom tore an adductor muscle in the game on Saturday so it was a case of getting out and having a list we had and went through it.

"Jason and Stephen were on that list."

Bywater is returning to Cardiff for a second loan spell after previously spending two months on loan in 2002 without making an appearance.

Ex-Wales international Brown has joined the Bluebirds on a one-month emergency loan deal.

The 28-year-old, whose contract at Blackburn expires at the end of the season, has had few opportunities at Ewood Park where he has been behind Brad Friedal and Paul Robinson.

Brown, who has won two Wales caps, has not played a first team game for Blackburn this season and has only made six league appearances since 2006/2007 season.

This season Brown has gone out on two loan spells to Leeds United and Leyton Orient, making a total of nine appearances.

Cardiff City had previously targeted former England keeper Chris Kirkland, but it is understood an emergency loan deal could not be agreed with Kirkland's club Wigan Athletic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/9413984.stm

So, he's the reason we went from 4th to god knows where (according to many on this forum) - should we expect to see Cardiff plummet now?

TBF they usually do about this time of the season even without Bywater's help

I doubt he'll play anyway, just warm the bench

Bywater is a decent keeper, maybe not a Prem keeper but he's certainly good enough to hold down a number 1 shirt in the Championship.

The thing is, when you are a keeper in a crap team such as Derby County that cannot pass the ball to each other, cannot defend, do not have a striker to hold the ball up front to take the pressure off the back, the keeper will have more shots to deal with.

No keeper will be able to block shot after shot for 90 mins week in week out, it's impossible and keepers do make mistakes, the more shots also brings a higher percentage of mistakes and keepers mistakes are more costly than a mis placed pass from Savage.

Bywater has took alot of flak on here, alot of it is undeserved and I'd put a bet on it that Cardiff don't suddenly plummet down the table because of Bywater, in fact he will go and do a good job for them.

The search is on for a new scapegoat....

He has ALWAYS been very very average in my opinion.

Always likely to pull of some sort of world class stop at any moment, but at the same time he is always likely to let someone beat him at the near post (not in the Roy Carroll mould though!!) or he will just spill one into the net.

One thing no one has mentioned, one of the important aspect of being a good goalkeep now is being able to kick........and wow...can this man not do that. Without doubt the worst distributer of a football I have seen. He can't kick it straight, he can't keep it on the pitch, sometimes he struggles to keep it in the ground, he scuffs it as bad as Fat Frank and throws like a chicken.

He wont make a difference to Cardiff's promotion push as I will be surprised if he gets a game.

And don't worry about the scapegoat, they have all got Pearson to go for don't forget..

Bywater is a decent keeper, maybe not a Prem keeper but he's certainly good enough to hold down a number 1 shirt in the Championship.

The thing is, when you are a keeper in a crap team such as Derby County that cannot pass the ball to each other, cannot defend, do not have a striker to hold the ball up front to take the pressure off the back, the keeper will have more shots to deal with.

No keeper will be able to block shot after shot for 90 mins week in week out, it's impossible and keepers do make mistakes, the more shots also brings a higher percentage of mistakes and keepers mistakes are more costly than a mis placed pass from Savage.

Bywater has took alot of flak on here, alot of it is undeserved and I'd put a bet on it that Cardiff don't suddenly plummet down the table because of Bywater, in fact he will go and do a good job for them.

Well said that man.:D

Bywater is a decent No 2 to any prem team and a decent (ish) champ goalkeeper good shot stopper!!!

Thanks for the good time Stephen but i have kind a wanted you gone since the play-off final you aint a top flight goalkeeper at all and never will be!!!

Perfectly put!

Just find it kind of amusing - Cardiff must think he's not a liability, because if their #1 gets crocked, he's playing.

He looked OK when I saw him play. There was a lot of Derby fans that said he was better than Camp.

Was he on big money ?

19th Derby conceded 48 goals this season, 4th Cardiff 38, 6th Leeds 55!. Just imagine if we had a back 4 that could actually defend until the final whistle and a striker that could stick them in the other end.

That's far too simplistic a view. If you watch him for 90 minutes week in, week out, which I accept you don't, it's not just about stopping shots, which is actually his greatest strength.

This season he appears to have been nervous and bred nervousness within all those around him - to the extent where the defence seemed to spend half their time looking over their shoulders wondering whether he was there/what he was doing/whether he was coming for the ball etc etc.

He was clearly unsuited to playing from the back, as Nigel wanted, as his distribution, short or long, has been woeful.

It was noticeable even during Tuesday's defeat that Fielding's use of the ball was so much better and more intelligent.

I've got nothing against Bywater - he was excellent for us in our promotion season and I don't think he's turned into a bad keeper. To me it just looks like he would benefit from a fresh challenge as much as the club would benefit from a new keeper.

He did well for us and I hope he does well at Cardiff and rediscovers his best form.

Archived