Commons Leaving - Good or Bad?

Toadbelly

Of course this is bad. Next man on our goalscorer list has netted four? Building around a newly signed again Commons would do the trick, now we are left with no artistic leadership and our strategic leader has lost his legs again. To be honest we are back in the mud again and there is no doubt our goal this season is to survive. Again.

Agree with this post. It just gets worse.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can understand the thinking to be honest, £300k now and free up wages, or nothing in the summer. im glad we were not held to ransom. we need to replace him with two players in my opinion, a new sriker (kuqi free) and a midfielder, or possibly if we assume davies S or B will fill that role i would prefer a new centre back. (woodgate on a season long loan anyone?)

good luck to the money grabbin b', he did the same at stoke, forest,will do the same at celtic no doubt. we'll watch his progress with interest. hooper has settled in nice.

i can understand the thinking to be honest, £300k now and free up wages, or nothing in the summer. im glad we were not held to ransom. we need to replace him with two players in my opinion, a new sriker (kuqi free) and a midfielder, or possibly if we assume davies S or B will fill that role i would prefer a new centre back. (woodgate on a season long loan anyone?)

good luck to the money grabbin b', he did the same at stoke, forest,will do the same at celtic no doubt. we'll watch his progress with interest. hooper has settled in nice.

So have we written off this season by getting rid of our best attacking player and top goalscorer? Whats the point saving on his wages as the money is never reinvested. Oh I forgot we are building for the future with a 29 year old from Notts County instead

So have we written off this season by getting rid of our best attacking player and top goalscorer? Whats the point saving on his wages as the money is never reinvested. Oh I forgot we are building for the future with a 29 year old from Notts County instead

If by getting rid you mean he refused to sign a contract so we cashed in while we could, then yes we did.

Who is to say that in three years Ben Davies and co won't have taken us to the Premiership?

If by getting rid you mean he refused to sign a contract so we cashed in while we could, then yes we did.

Who is to say that in three years Ben Davies and co won't have taken us to the Premiership?

Am I missing something or was he not contracted to us for until the summer? So you think getting rid of our top scorer is a good move for the rest of this season for a whole 300k? What about us who pay out our season tickets to watch our best and talented players. Oh I forgot everything the club does is brilliant. We will replace him like we did with Hulse.

Your right we dont know that Ben Davies and co might take us into the prem as blackpool have proved but the likelyhood of that is very slim as the teams at the top are the ones who spend money on quality players, and they are the teams that go up and stay up 99% of the time.

This board are doing great, we finish in the bottom half around midtable every season and having a few more points than the year before is great progress. We may in about 10years slowly build to get near to the top again

Am I missing something or was he not contracted to us for until the summer? So you think getting rid of our top scorer is a good move for the rest of this season for a whole 300k? What about us who pay out our season tickets to watch our best and talented players. Oh I forgot everything the club does is brilliant. We will replace him like we did with Hulse.

Your right we dont know that Ben Davies and co might take us into the prem as blackpool have proved but the likelyhood of that is very slim as the teams at the top are the ones who spend money on quality players, and they are the teams that go up and stay up 99% of the time.

This board are doing great, we finish in the bottom half around midtable every season and having a few more points than the year before is great progress. We may in about 10years slowly build to get near to the top again

Considering the lack of effort against a rival at the weekend and the poor form anyway, i'd say it's probably right we got rid. He didn't look bothered at the weekend. So yes, agree that he should have gone.

Why do quality players always have to come with large price tags? I'd have thought a good idea would be to buy young starlets and loan in experienced players (if you can't find one of your own) and blend them together. Seems like what we're doing.

Throw in a few loans and hey presto, we have a good side.

Considering the lack of effort against a rival at the weekend and the poor form anyway, i'd say it's probably right we got rid. He didn't look bothered at the weekend. So yes, agree that he should have gone.

Why do quality players always have to come with large price tags? I'd have thought a good idea would be to buy young starlets and loan in experienced players (if you can't find one of your own) and blend them together. Seems like what we're doing.

Throw in a few loans and hey presto, we have a good side.

So he played badly agaisnt Forest we may as well get rid of every attacking player then.

Quality doesnt always have to come with high price tags but its like anything in life really, if you pay more you are a lot more likely to get better quality and normally the better quailty of players in football or in normal life people want the higher wages.

The big problem with our plan is we dont have young starlets, we have some decent young players and I really like Brayford and Bailey. While I admire your positivity everything is not good at our club and its why we are in the league where we have been the last 3 season at this stage of the season, just below mid table struggling to pick up wins. I understood the cost cutting at first but there comes to a stage where you need to add true quality and we arent. In one breath its building long term for the future and in the next the club says there is more value in loans which is short term unless im losing the plot

Gutted he is going. Yet more misery for our club this season. UNbelievable! Agree with PeteDerby's comments, and this is more evidene why we should vent our frustrations at the board and not Clough.

Commons, as people have said is doing what players do these days and going for the money. Celtic no douibt upped their wage offer to outdo Rangers and get the upper hand in their league. Commons has never shown any real loyalty for any club and its not surprizing he has jumped our sinking ship.

We are now left to scrape the barrel of the transfer window. Most of the best loan deals have alreadt been done. Only the desperate clubs leave things to the last minute!

So he played badly agaisnt Forest we may as well get rid of every attacking player then.

Quality doesnt always have to come with high price tags but its like anything in life really, if you pay more you are a lot more likely to get better quality and normally the better quailty of players in football or in normal life people want the higher wages.

The big problem with our plan is we dont have young starlets, we have some decent young players and I really like Brayford and Bailey. While I admire your positivity everything is not good at our club and its why we are in the league where we have been the last 3 season at this stage of the season, just below mid table struggling to pick up wins. I understood the cost cutting at first but there comes to a stage where you need to add true quality and we arent. In one breath its building long term for the future and in the next the club says there is more value in loans which is short term unless im losing the plot

Commons lacked effort, which led to the bad performance. If you put 100% but play badly then no real worries from me, but if you don't put a shift in against your former club and our biggest rivals, then there's something seriously wrong in your head. I think Kris had decided to go and gaurded himself against getting injured.

True, but not always. As with the Hooper situation, we bid very good money, we were just beaten to him as Celtic paid over the odds for him. The money is there for select signings in key areas, just not for several in each position.

In my opinion this season has been us pushing on, not cost cutting. The fact we were raising Comnmons contract by a fair bit in a bid to keep him here shows that the wage limit is sorted now. I believe Glick said so himself some months ago. We have Cywka, Bailey, Brayford, Addison and Moxey. All fairly young, who form the backbone of our side. (Cywka will be in against Ipswich I imagine). Bueno too for this season, though clearly not ours after that.

Around that there is Bywater (though hopefully Fielding soon) Barker, Leacock, Ben Davies, Porter etc. Experienced players. Add a few loans in and we're looking pretty good for a top half finish which is what we wanted, we just need to arrest the slide and get our form back on track. The effort is there, we just need ot to click together once more.

Alex, honestly, do you really think that is likely if the current wage and transfer policy stay the same?

I think the club were in a lose lose situation, if you believe the DET they offered him what he wanted 15k pw on a 3 and half year deal, obviously he turned his nose up at it.

Now we sell in January and the fans will be saying why are we selling our best player, top scorer etc.

Or we say no you are staying till the end of the season, Commons has a tantrum followed by hamsting injury after hamstring injury and he leaves Derby for free in May, the fans will be on GSE's back for not cashing in when we had the chance.

Alex, honestly, do you really think that is likely if the current wage and transfer policy stay the same?

I don't see why not. This squad went fourth with the same restrictions remember.

Another season gelling together, one or two players in and out, and we could be an outside challenge for the play offs next season, realistically.

Not on current form, clearly. But this is just a bad run of hitting teams in form and confidence being heavily affected by the Crawley game (not making excuses there, bad day for us clearly) and the big away loss being Forest.

Alex your doing a sterling job at keeping your head above water on this one but.

Losing Commons was never part of anyone's plan surely.

We should have tried harder to sign a contract with him when we had a chance. That is what well run clubs do. We were always at risk of losing Commons by leaving his contract into this season.

This leaves us in a genuine mess, bigger than what we are alredy in.

The rest of the players will be forced to regroup, but it can not leave the players in a positive state for the final third of the season. We are losing our leading scorer and we can not possibly replace him with anyone near his experience and quality unless big bucks are forked out. Not gonna happen. Most of the best loans have already been done and dusted by now.

The situation is grim, whatever way you look at it! There is no master plan. Clough is doing his best but the club is spiralling downwards with this move. Why not turn it down. 300k is not worth it. Its a joke offer and Glick has told Clough to take it.

As if he can find another bargain for that fee.

Yanks out !!!!

Good or bad ? Does this question really need asking, my point is we are all again being taken for a ride by the club, we pay our money and we give great support home and away and what are we getting back in return ? I'll tell u what, some useless gimmick from Glick and his cronies so you can swap your season ticket, how's about some imagination off the field that actually affects this team, makes us better, improves us, inspires the fans and gives us hope, right now personally i am beat and fed up of these YANKS and want them out, gone for good, i'm just shocked that there is'nt a mass shout for them to go and Ipswich will see me support my team but also shout for these idiots to go and NOW !!!

Just to correct your posting.

Commons doesn't take all of the free kicks. Savage takes a large percentage of them and Davies will likely now take them even if Commons is playing.

Commons doesn't shoot everytime he gets within 30 yards of the goal. I wish he did shoot a little more and Clough even said the same thing a few months ago.

Why are we speculating as to his popularity in the dressing room?

It sickens me just what a short memory some of you so called supporters have. Only a few months ago, Commons was the best thing since sliced bread and now look at what you are saying!

He is having a great season and is top goalscorer at Derby. He has earned the right to move to a bigger club than ours and has seen out his contract. What is wrong with that? He could have got out when the going got really tough both at Derby and at Forest but he remained loyal and credit the player.

I hope he stays but if he doesn't then thanks for the memories Kris and you will get a cheer from me everytime you visit PP.

Spot on post and couldnt agree more.

Right now there are loads of people saying we should have sorted Commons contract before this season started.

I dont remember such a tide of comments stating that Clough was wrong when he said before pre-season that he had to prove his fitness and consistency in terms of performances to earn a new deal. (I wasnt posting much on this forum back then but there is a lot of peple I recognise fromthe DET)

I sense a good old fashioned use of hindsight in some comments.

Right now there are loads of people saying we should have sorted Commons contract before this season started.

I dont remember such a tide of comments stating that Clough was wrong when he said before pre-season that he had to prove his fitness and consistency in terms of performances to earn a new deal. (I wasnt posting much on this forum back then but there is a lot of peple I recognise fromthe DET)

I sense a good old fashioned use of hindsight in some comments.

I was about to post just the same thing! I don't think Derby have done too much wrong here. If he'd been injured much of this season I can't imagine there'd be this clamour to give him a new contract. So we wait and see, and once he starts playing and is fit open negotiations. Yes they took too long but whose fault was that? It may have been Commons' intention all along (as I believe it was) to see what Derby had to offer then wait til January to see what else was about.

I think they tried their best to keep him but ultimately, as was his perogative, he signed for someone else.

i've enjoyed watching him this season and I wish him well.

Archived