Commons Leaving - Good or Bad?

Toadbelly

Alex your doing a sterling job at keeping your head above water on this one but.

Losing Commons was never part of anyone's plan surely.

We should have tried harder to sign a contract with him when we had a chance. That is what well run clubs do. We were always at risk of losing Commons by leaving his contract into this season.

This leaves us in a genuine mess, bigger than what we are alredy in.

The rest of the players will be forced to regroup, but it can not leave the players in a positive state for the final third of the season. We are losing our leading scorer and we can not possibly replace him with anyone near his experience and quality unless big bucks are forked out. Not gonna happen. Most of the best loans have already been done and dusted by now.

The situation is grim, whatever way you look at it! There is no master plan. Clough is doing his best but the club is spiralling downwards with this move. Why not turn it down. 300k is not worth it. Its a joke offer and Glick has told Clough to take it.

As if he can find another bargain for that fee.

I don't think it was, but perhaps Clough thought he would actually sign the deal? He seemed to be working for one in the summer, he had a good pre-season and during the home games against teams like Watford he was constantly running and winning the ball back.

Now, as soon as the time has come for him to sign a contract for definite, hes gone for the wages straight away. Which is fair enough, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Ben Davies, Cywka and Bueno I think is a good attacking three, not to mention Waghorn can play there too if we don't go with him upfront directly. That's if we get him of course. If Commons isn't turning up for matches then it's pointless playing him, far better to get players who are willing to put a shift in back into the starting line-up.

£300,000 can be put towards a player, for example Connor Sammon who we have made a verbal enquiry about. He would make a difference to our side for definite, a big and strong striker to push Porter for a place while he slowly gets back to his best.

I do not think Glick told him to take it either, I imagine they both sat down and decided it was best to let him go.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good reply that ............

Commons was offered close to what he has agreed at celtic by the sound of it .so,after 50 odd % tax that is not a massive difference when you consider the the distance he is having to go and what that entails,yes he has gone to a slightly bigger club , one of only two up there, but the fact he will on occasion be playing in front of perhaps 2 or 3000 fans sometimes i think will be a rude awakening...............yes , the rams will miss him , but , his bad habit of drifting in and out of games wont go down well with his new club and we do have the players to replace him once they all resume playing at full fitness....

I have no problem with Commons leaving, it was inevitable really. I expect our dire recent form helped him in making his decision, i wonder what he would have done if we were still top 4. He's obviously a massive loss but the next few days are huge for us this season, we have to bring in someone who's guna bring the quality to the side that Commons did. Can i see us doing this? Nope, unless we spend a significant amount of money on someone.

We now have one striker at the club who's still very much unproven, on recent form he's not guna help us much. Our other attacking threat consists of Cykwa who hasnt contributed anything for a while now, Bueno who only turns up at home and by all accounts this is starting to diminish and Ben Davies, a player who's barely played out of League 2 his entire career. Unless players are bought in and fast i fear for us this season.

Struggling team sells leading scorer for small fee. -What do you think?

Why couldn't we do what Ssausagehorpe did with Gary Hooper? Yes Commons only had a few months on his contract but 300k is very cheap! To think we paid around 200k for Dave Martin who was in the same situation speaks volumes.

It looks like we was going to accept any sort of bid for him, and Glick will say it was the best deal for the club, etc...

I have no problem with Commons leaving, it was inevitable really. I expect our dire recent form helped him in making his decision, i wonder what he would have done if we were still top 4. He's obviously a massive loss but the next few days are huge for us this season, we have to bring in someone who's guna bring the quality to the side that Commons did. Can i see us doing this? Nope, unless we spend a significant amount of money on someone.

We now have one striker at the club who's still very much unproven, on recent form he's not guna help us much. Our other attacking threat consists of Cykwa who hasnt contributed anything for a while now, Bueno who only turns up at home and by all accounts this is starting to diminish and Ben Davies, a player who's barely played out of League 2 his entire career. Unless players are bought in and fast i fear for us this season.

Funny you should mention Cywka's poor form, because now Ciommons is going he will be installed as the clubs current top scorer with a whole 4 goals...

Just found this and thought it was very interesting given we are selling Commons and looking at Sammon.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110125012035AAItcHD

Rangers fans seem split but have different need to us. Personally, I would happily trade Kris "I don't want to leave Derby" Commons who will leave in 6 months anyway for the up-and-coming, big, pacey striker Sammon. We need a striker far more than we need the midfield talents of Kris.

This could (fingers crossed) turn out to be a great pioece of business all things considered.

Just found this and thought it was very interesting given we are selling Commons and looking at Sammon.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110125012035AAItcHD

Rangers fans seem split but have different need to us. Personally, I would happily trade Kris "I don't want to leave Derby" Commons who will leave in 6 months anyway for the up-and-coming, big, pacey striker Sammon. We need a striker far more than we need the midfield talents of Kris.

This could (fingers crossed) turn out to be a great pioece of business all things considered.

Fair enough you'd rather have Sammon to Commons, but I generally think we need a number of players in the squad, too many players not good enough and we tend to have a small squad. Every squad should have 4 strikers, thats what everyone aims for, but it seems at this club we still try and keep our numbers down, as it keeps wages down and we don't have players wasting away, but we get injury problems then all of a sudden we can't fill our bench and we have an 'attacking' midfielder playing right back etc.

If Sammon does join I'd want us to go for another 1/2 strikers, we won't go anywhere feeding off scraps of this poor squad

I dont think our squad is small at all. Its just we are heavy at Center Half - believe it or not we have Anderson, Leacock, Buxton, Barker and O'Brien and in midfield/wingers. Cywka, Green, Pearson, Martin, Croft, Bueno, Bailey, Savage, Addison, B Davies and S Davies

Spread out the squad more and there would be plenty of room for 3 or 4 strikers and a right back cover if we drop 4 of the 11 midfielders and a centre half

Archived