Job Interview

WorksopRam

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interviewing basics say, never say anything negative about yourself. Focus on positive words that you can throw in (as mentioned above - keen, enthusiastic, helpful, hard-working, punctual, effective, honest, positive, energetic, conscientious, quick learner etc). If asked to elaborate on something negative (such as what are your weaknesses) don't be drawn into it - say something bland like "personally I can't think of anything, but I'm willing to undertake any training if there are any areas that I could improve in". A female colleague told me her stock answer to the weaknesses question is "chocolate" (but this doesn't work so well if your answer is Stella Artois).

I personally like the dilbert one: sometimes I work so fast I turn invisible. If I look a little blurry, its because I'm multitasking.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't get the job, they wanted more experience.

(Not sure why they didn't acquire that info. from my application and CV, but no matter)

I'm a bit gutted but it's not anything I could've really prevented.

It's all good experience though, I suppose.

Thanks for the help anyway people :)

Ah bad luck there :frown:

I'd ask them how you're to get more experience if they don't give you a job in the first place. It hacks me off when employers say that.

Their loss Worksop! Put it down to experience! ;) and keep looking.

(Not sure why they didn't acquire that info. from my application and CV, but no matter)

Stay positive mate. Keep yer pecker up and go for the next one.

Employers will interview a range of candidates. Sometimes the ones who look strong on paper don't interview well or are actually blaggers i.e. The Apprentice. They might have read you had less experience but were strong on other areas.

It's tough out there at the moment and no matter what you build your hopes to a degree. Keep plugging away it will pay off in the end.

• 1 year later...

Digging up this old thread (sorry if it brings back bad memories!) as I have an interview on Saturday.

It's a two stage interview, first an 'assessment centre' and if I do well, I'll be interviewed one-on-one after.

Has anyone had any experience of assessment centres/ group interviews? I've only ever had one on one interviews before 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

Digging up this old thread (sorry if it brings back bad memories!) as I have an interview on Saturday.

It's a two stage interview, first an 'assessment centre' and if I do well, I'll be interviewed one-on-one after.

Has anyone had any experience of assessment centres/ group interviews? I've only ever had one on one interviews before 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

It depends on what type of job you are going for. Normally, if it is a group interview they will be looking for the ability to work within a team so you would have to bring that side of you out. You will need to be noticed but absolutely not at the risk of coming over as arrogant. A big smile and politeness can often go a long way - all simple stuff but things which so many people overlook.

If you feel that you have not quite got your best points over all will not be lost. Send an email off straight afterwards explaining the points that you think would sell them the idea of employing you.

Years ago I was in a group interview. I had passed the one on one and after that I took part in some tests and the group interview. All the participants were obviously trying to get some kind of manager job. We were given a situation in which we should discuss what would be the best solution for the problem created.

It was absurd. There were perhaps 10-12 participants and three psychologies to make notes of us. As soon we started these two go getters started to yell to each other. The other one went just crazy.

I decided that I would take no part for this little acting even if it cost the job.

After that I was called to meet this guy whose job was to evaluate me. He told that he noticed I was very quiet in that situation and why was that. I told him that it was clear on me what was purpose of that showdown but I'm the kind of guy who won't deal with problems at my workplace that way and I want to be clear on that. I'm not actor either. If they want the guy who can solve problems more or less peacefully and does his best they should choose me but if they want someone ranting like those two just did I probably wasn't their guy.

Didn't get the job.

So don't do what I did. 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Cheers guys 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

The interview is for a home-based property manager role where I would manage a portfolio of residential properties around the East Midlands. Considering my degree is Property based, I've already got that advantage. I'm not too worried about the technical/ organisational side of things, however, I'm not a 'big personality' so am worried about having to put on an act to get noticed. I have good team working/client skills so I'm hoping its that kind of scenario...

Had a few a number of years ago (assessment centres) - failed them all. One was a two day one and treating it as an all expenses paid hoilday with a massive piss-up probably wasn't the best impression to make. The whole process looking back was cringe to me, though as I've always had the attitude I work for money and nothing else, it often puts me at odds with things like this. Watching your fellow candidates shamelessly lick arse, enthusiastically talk about the job as if they're going to be an Astronaut when they'll be washing testubes out and generally acting so false its unhuman is disturbing if anything.

Don't worry about them iRam, be yourself...thats it. If it ain't for them...f**k 'em...that was my attitude.

Cheers guys 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

The interview is for a home-based property manager role where I would manage a portfolio of residential properties around the East Midlands. Considering my degree is Property based, I've already got that advantage. I'm not too worried about the technical/ organisational side of things, however, I'm not a 'big personality' so am worried about having to put on an act to get noticed. I have good team working/client skills so I'm hoping its that kind of scenario...

Important question for you to ask them is - What are they looking for from the applicants?

Employers will interview a range of candidates. Sometimes the ones who look strong on paper don't interview well or are actually blaggers i.e. The Apprentice.

I got through to the audition stage this year on apprentice, but that's another story.......anyhow good luck, don't tell em u support the rams they may think u have issues :-)

I got through to the audition stage this year on apprentice, but that's another story.......anyhow good luck, don't tell em u support the rams they may think u have issues :-)

Aw, come on, give us the goss. What feedback did you get?

Don't forget, you are deciding whether they are right for you as well as the other way round. List your strengths and don't be frightened to tell them. Check their plans for the future and do your research in advance. Make sure you know as much about them as possible and check their report and accounts (should be on their website). Make sure you look each one of them in the eye when you speak, don't be afraid to use your hands and body for emphasis and prepare a killer fact about you which will make them remember you.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback, I'm just going to be positive, be myself and read up on the company like mad! I'm going to sell Derby as a good location for me to get to properties etc so hopefully living in Derby will be of benefit for once! As far as I can tell they are a brilliant company with an excellent reputation (unlike a lot of property companies) so fingers crossed. I'm missing the Millwall game for this so I hope it's worth it 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Archived