Job Interview

WorksopRam

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Afternoon folks! Bit of a metaphorical stab in the dark really...

In a couple of weeks, I've got a job interview at the B&Q Distribution Centre in Worksop, for part-time shift work.

I know basic interview techniques and such, I was just wondering if anyone's got experience in warehouse or HR work, and has any things I should be focusing on for this job interview?

No worries if not. Cheers 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Josh

Just let them know that all your life there is absolutely nothing that you have looked forward to more than working for them.

And be prepared for them to ask what it is you like about the idea of doing so?

And have a question ready to ask them when they ask the dreaded..."Is there anything you would like to ask us?"

All the very best mate.

I had an assessment for a job recently but as I didn't get it I won't try to offer you any help, for obvious reasons.

However from the other side of the table, I can kind of assume what they might be looking for. I have no issues whatsoever with someone ringing me to ask some questions about what I'm looking for in an applicant. Give them a call and ask if there's anyone you can speak to about the vacancy - ask what they're really looking for, what the job entails, what skills you'd be expected to be bringing.

If it's any use I did a situational assessment test. Google it, there's loads of online example tests you can do to give you a feeling for the tests and the kind of thing they expect you to spot in the questions (if that's what you end up getting given).

So glad I did'nt have to and will prob never have to do this assessment centre thing, it sounds a complete nightmare.

The major problem with them is that the one person who actually understands the job and whose opinion really counts is missing, your prospective line manager!

At our place HR scan all applicants before we get the cv's and it's appalling what they send through, not even the basics are covered.

Wish they'd properly assess the HR people before employing them!

I've been involved in Assessment Centres and found that the ones who've done best are crap at the job. Unfortunately you have to suck the corporate coch so.......

do an online "Personality test"... try different answers until it tells you you are a team player, calm under pressure etc, there's loads, you'll be expected to do one on the day. Big up your experience....exaggerate personal wins or even take credit for others!

"I developed a system for dealing with downtime/waste/etc that saved the business x amount" "my initial priority will be to evaluate the training requirements and/or customer expectations"

Bullshite really is key in modern business.

Seriously, HR departments really take notice of what you've done before, or at least what you've said you've done!. Big up any little wins you've had, they won't check!

any competency based interview is looking for you too provide real life examples - it is no good saying I work well in a team or I handle conflict well you need to give examples and specifics of when you have done it in real life (preferably work related, saying I knocked out a mouthy forest git is not a good example of dealing with conflict).

In the group thing balance is key as a couple have mentioned - you need to be confident but not mouthy - often the best role to play is that of moderator and summariser - if there are a few people they will be coming out with ideas like crazy, obviously if you have a good one get it out there but, if you can, get hold of a pen and flip chart and jot down what the others are coming up with - ask the group questions on the ideas to try and assess the strengths and weaknesses of each idea and then modify them accordingly or even combine a couple as well as sticking your own ideas in - then delegate, if you need to put together a presentation form the basis of it from the ideas people have given and then split the group into smaller sections to work on individual pieces (obviously put yourself with the hottest girl/s there and the biggest numpty so you look good) then set a time limit so you have 10-15 mins to pull it all together at the end.

Good luck

Best of luck to your son LR, sounds like an interesting job in air traffic, I've always thought working at an airport would be one of the best places to work.

Best of luck to your son LR, sounds like an interesting job in air traffic, I've always thought working at an airport would be one of the best places to work.

Thanks Silly,

It's what Dav used to do before he went into teaching, that's where he got his interest and some experience from, The airport he's at now isn't the biggest and he wants more of a challenge now.

Good job yep, but very stressful. I'm not sure I could be responsible for loads of people on a plane, one mistake and it could be game over..

But, as of yet, no news.

Thanks Silly,

It's what Dav used to do before he went into teaching, that's where he got his interest and some experience from, The airport he's at now isn't the biggest and he wants more of a challenge now.

Good job yep, but very stressful. I'm not sure I could be responsible for loads of people on a plane, one mistake and it could be game over..

But, as of yet, no news.

Every job seems stressful these days. I have a relative that works as a shop assistant in a highstreet store on min wage that has sales targets on store credit cards, no commission, I couldn't believe it when she told me some of the stuff they have them doing. With job competition so fierce these days employers want Einstein stacking shelves, feel sorry for youngsters just starting out. My advice to any 16-25 yr old now is to get yourself educated or acquire a skill and emigrate to a country which will value you.

Cheers guys 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

The interview is for a home-based property manager role where I would manage a portfolio of residential properties around the East Midlands. Considering my degree is Property based, I've already got that advantage. I'm not too worried about the technical/ organisational side of things, however, I'm not a 'big personality' so am worried about having to put on an act to get noticed. I have good team working/client skills so I'm hoping its that kind of scenario...

Hey, if you want an all rounder who's based in the property maintenance sector, look no further than this forum. There's a company who advertises on the Rams News thread. 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

The best tip i heard for a interview is to put your hair up and wear a bright pink skirt to make sure you get noticed.

I'm going to try that next time.

Well, that was an interesting day... 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

My assessment centre went something like this;

-Turn to the person on your left, have a chat for 5 minutes, then both stand at the front and introduce each other to the rest of the group (there were 10 candidates for three jobs all sat round a massive table)

-Put into groups (3/4) and given 20 minutes to prepare a 10 minute presentation of one of three tourist destinations (liverpool, bradford or coventry 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />) to the rest of the group.

-Write a response to a letter of complaint (individual)

-Go round the table and answer the following two questions (individually, in front of the rest of the group):

1. Give an example of a time when you excelled in a stressful situation

2. Why should you be given the job?

The boss etc, then went away to decide who went through to 'boot camp' ie one-on-one interviews.

They came back in and said infront of everyone who go through (rather awkward).

6 were selected including myself....

Then we each just had a generic interview, which was fine.

Lasted 10am - 3:30pm, drove home listened to 5live and then the game once back in the shire.

All in all, a good experience even if I didn't get the job but hopefully I did 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Archived