Job Interview

WorksopRam

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of the interview I had when applying for a job at Asda - when we got to the part where we had to stand up and tell everyone what our 'claim to fame was' I just remembered the fact that Asda was started in 1965, so stood up and said, 'my claim to fame is, I am the same age as Asda' but I noted one thing - everyone had written their notes on paper and when they stood up and read from the paper, they were all shaking - so I thought to myself - put the paper on the desk and read from it.

Hope you've got the job iRam - sorry for the 'late advice' - i had forgotten all about that. hehe. I got the job btw. Wish I'd kept it - can't even get an interview these days. 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

Sounds like a right ordeal and to announce the "bootcamp" finalists infront of the rest is distasteful IMO, I don't think some employers are appreciative enough of the candidates' efforts at times. I've just seen the starting salary for our graduate recruitment scheme at work..its only 1k more than what I started on about 15 years ago. And I just got by in those days with my crummy one bed flat, car to run and debts to pay back. Tough time for all young people, hopefully it won't be a lost generation...

Job update...I got it 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I'm so pleased to actually have a purpose in life after spending the best part of this year out of work, trying to get my foot in somewhere. I have to agree with SillyBilly about the state of the graduate job market. At times I've felt like a mug for going to university. Although it was my choice to go (and I appreciate how lucky I am to have that choice) I wonder how many other graduates look at their degree certificate and wonder what it was all for? Anyway, I digress. I just hope the job market keeps moving in the right direction for all concerned.

The only down side of my new job is I'm now working Saturdays (with a day off in the week) and apparently I'm going to receive a car allowance instead of a company car. Anyone here got experience of car allowances? I'm not sure if the £200 pcm on offer is adequate, not that I'm complaining 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Thanks again for all your help. If anyone has any properties which need managing, I'm your man!

I remember going for a job interview 2 years ago in Canada.. I turned up over an hour late, wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip flops and was as relaxed as a Californian surfer on drugs..

I got the job and started 2 days afterwards.. it was the best paid job I ever had and not a single day in University was needed..

Right now I'm actually on my way to the University to apply for a teaching position.. Still wearing the shorts and t-shirt.. Let's see how this one goes..

Job update...I got it 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I'm so pleased to actually have a purpose in life after spending the best part of this year out of work, trying to get my foot in somewhere. I have to agree with SillyBilly about the state of the graduate job market. At times I've felt like a mug for going to university. Although it was my choice to go (and I appreciate how lucky I am to have that choice) I wonder how many other graduates look at their degree certificate and wonder what it was all for? Anyway, I digress. I just hope the job market keeps moving in the right direction for all concerned.

The only down side of my new job is I'm now working Saturdays (with a day off in the week) and apparently I'm going to receive a car allowance instead of a company car. Anyone here got experience of car allowances? I'm not sure if the £200 pcm on offer is adequate, not that I'm complaining 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Thanks again for all your help. If anyone has any properties which need managing, I'm your man!

Well Done!

If you need an electrician, 'http://www.dcfcfans.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Ok here goes....

Beautiful Bradford.

A town in West Yorkshire, set in the foothills of the pennines, famous for setting fire to its own football stadium and for multi-cultural and ethnic division.

Bradford today is known as the 'city of segregated ethnic communities'.

So come to Bradford and experience both diversity and division in equal measure.

Bradford enjoys a slightly elevated position.

The combination of cloud and airborne contaminants mean that it rains for 139 days a year in Bradford and summer lasts for just 6 days. So choose your time to visit quite carefully or alternatively go somewhere else.

So what is there to see in Bradford?

Well the city is rich in the relics and the heritage of the industrial revolution.

Geographically Bradford is situated upon significant deposits of coal and this abundance of cheap local fuel enabled Bradford to emerge out of the soot and grime of the industrial revolution with distinction as the 'most polluted town in England'.

Even today the ground oozes significant levels of cardon dioxide and methane - (which is of course the same gas as in farts) - much to the on going amusement of the local population.

There are no rivers in Bradford and even if there were they would all have been filled in by now and the fish would all be dead so please don't come expecting a city with bridges and waterways and that sort of picturesque juxtaposition of architecture and water and light and reflection which brings beauty and pleasure to so many of the beautiful cities of the world.

There's none of that.

Since March 2012 there is however a big waste water storage facility called the Mirror pool which you can look in and see your own reflection staring back. So thats pretty amazing. This 'pool' is part of the urban drainage system storing the surface water discharge from the many new buildings and precinct areas around and about. In previous times this effluent would have simply gone underground into the myriad of pipes and sewers, but now this run-off can be stored temporarily at ground level where everyone can see it and enjoy it. However the tank is periodically emptied so it might not be there when you visit, but even then you can walk around where the pool used to be which is also quite a thrill.

Beside this there is also the shopping!

Shopping in Bradford is a rare treat.

Popular destinations include Kirkgate - where there is a Primark - and Forster Square where you will find both TK Maxx and JD Sports.

So if you like dressing in tracky bottoms and cheap T shirts then you will be sure to find something there.

Bradford is twinned with Chernobyl, Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the city is notable for the erection of memorial plaques.

In 1996 the mayor of Bradford erected a memorial plaque celebrating 10 years since the Chernobyl disaster.

By that time the cloud had visited Bradford several times; each time to great public excitement, and was guest of honour at the opening of the new football stadium. The cloud was also made a freeman of the city in recognition of its contribution to pest control.

There are also plaques celebrating the Bhopal disaster, the Ukranian famine, the Bradford City fire, the dropping of the atom bomb, the Irish famine, the Asian Tsunami, the Mount Pinatubo eruption, the Lake Nyos outgassing, the Chandka Forest Elephant Rampage, and the Great Smog of 1952. Why not spend a pleasurable afternoon touring the city on foot in search of these plaques and reliving the many great natural catastrophes and human disasters of our times.

Ironically many people visiting Bradford choose to stay indoors and this has spawned an interest in cinema, and......cinema.

Bradford was designated the first UNESCO world city of film in recognition of its being the backdrop location for the films 'Rita, Sue and Bob too', and 'Invasion of the Pod People'. Strangely there is no plaque celebrating this as yet, however the city does have a cinema and it is open most days.

Finally no visit to Bradford would be complete without sampling the delights of the self-proclaimed 'Curry Capital of Europe'.

The strong taste of curry masks the taste of much of the local produce and has therefore become incredibly popular. Check out the reviews for many restaurants along the Curry Mile. Some are described as 'filthy shiit holes' but others are said to be 'quite good'. Avoid those eateries where the curries are reported to have induced a rash.

So there you have it! Bradford - home to both the 'Yorkshire Ripper' and 'the Crossbow Cannibal'.

A wonderful place to come and visit.

Just a brief word of warning. The ground is still moderately to severely contaminated in most central locations so if you do choose to visit then i would recommend the use of protective clothing and please take your own bottled water.

Thank you.

Congrats! As to the car allowance, it's not as good as a company car, given that you will get 2.4k per year which would be enough for running costs if you were not taxed on it. But my advice would to take it as a whole package not as a separate payment.

Congrats! As to the car allowance, it's not as good as a company car, given that you will get 2.4k per year which would be enough for running costs if you were not taxed on it. But my advice would to take it as a whole package not as a separate payment.

Ah OK thanks, I'm still not entirely sure how the taxing works on the car allowance or whether it is a separate payment (questions to be asked!). I would have got a Ford Ka, which imo isn't as good as my Peugeot 206 anyway and considering I'm over 6 foot tall, might be a squeeze.

I've had jobs in the past which required my own transport and gave no car allowance, so to me its a nice bonus and might go towards financing a new car (if a company one isn't forthcoming). I still get petrol allowances either way so I'm happy.

Archived