Job Interview

WorksopRam

Afternoon folks! Bit of a metaphorical stab in the dark really...

In a couple of weeks, I've got a job interview at the B&Q Distribution Centre in Worksop, for part-time shift work.

I know basic interview techniques and such, I was just wondering if anyone's got experience in warehouse or HR work, and has any things I should be focusing on for this job interview?

No worries if not. Cheers :)

Josh

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a couple of weeks, I've got a job interview at the B&Q Distribution Centre in Worksop, for part-time shift work.

I know basic interview techniques and such, I was just wondering if anyone's got experience in warehouse or HR work, and has any things I should be focusing on for this job interview?

Josh

A distribution centre basically means you'll be picking or packing (i'm assuming you have no licenses?).... both are easy jobs so i'm guessing they will just make sure your not a complete retard. Bearing this in mind, are you sure two weeks is going to be long enough for you to prepare? :D

I don't think you've got anything to worry about in all honesty mate..... just control the nerves and i'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck anyway.

A distribution centre basically means you'll be picking or packing (i'm assuming you have no licenses?).... both are easy jobs so i'm guessing they will just make sure your not a complete retard. Bearing this in mind, are you sure two weeks is going to be long enough for you to prepare? :D

I don't think you've got anything to worry about in all honesty mate..... just control the nerves and i'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck anyway.

My thoughts exactly mate. I think it's just a precautionary thing, to check I'm not a Papa Lazarou kinda character :p

Just thought that I'd post on the off chance that a B&Q Personnel manager is an avid Derby fan on the forum... :D

Josh

Let the person who is interviewing you know that you understand the importance of what goes out of the warehouse is 100% accurate or they end up with an upset customer.

Let them know that you are a detail person as accurate records are essential (if you are not you will have to learn to be).

If you think that you have not performed well at the interview, or you have missed something important, don't be afraid to follow up with an email to thank them for the interview and get the missing points over.

Good luck to you.

Let the person who is interviewing you know that you understand the importance of what goes out of the warehouse is 100% accurate or they end up with an upset customer.

Let them know that you are a detail person as accurate records are essential (if you are not you will have to learn to be).

If you think that you have not performed well at the interview, or you have missed something important, don't be afraid to follow up with an email to thank them for the interview and get the missing points over.

Good luck to you.

Thanks a lot, much help.

I like the little follow up part aswell, I'm bound to forget something important!

:Dgood luck in the interview, I am sure it will go well, i need a job bad but can't find one anywhere.

I've been having that problem. I'm only in education still, but have got more than decent qualifications (without sounding like a tw@)

I sent CVs round to about 15 places, heard nothing.

It's a hard time to get a job at the minute, I think it's more about 'who you know'

You tried joining an agency?

no, i go round town and surrounding villages with c.v's every opther saturday, my gcse's arn't brilliant but my A level grades in S.A's so far are looking pretty good, problem is my type of style for learning isn't geared towards gcse's so it don't look great on c.v

no, i go round town and surrounding villages with c.v's every opther saturday, my gcse's arn't brilliant but my A level grades in S.A's so far are looking pretty good, problem is my type of style for learning isn't geared towards gcse's so it don't look great on c.v

Shame that, I feel for you (Sorry that that sounds really patronising lol)

I hate that one bit of paper determines so much for a person.

I'm sure something will pop along at some point for you :)

Just be yourself (as long as you're not a loony) :D

Look smart, be very positive on what they say back to you and I was always told to ask them a question too. Looks good that you're inquisitive about your role.

Oh, and smile too. A friend of mine didn't hire someone because they looked miserable in the interview, he said he wouldn't want to work with him.

Good luck with it :)

Just be yourself (as long as you're not a loony) :D

Look smart, be very positive on what they say back to you and I was always told to ask them a question too. Looks good that you're inquisitive about your role.

Oh, and smile too. A friend of mine didn't hire someone because they looked miserable in the interview, he said he wouldn't want to work with him.

Good luck with it :)

Yeh, I've heard it's always good to ask a question or two; makes you look prepared and interested in the job.

And as for the smiling, I'll try and keep it to a reasonable level! :D:D:D

I have experience from warehousing.

It's already been mentioned, but be yourself, be positive, show the employer that you want the job, and not a job. Don't take to long to answer the questions either. When it comes to your weaknesses and strengths, always begin with your strenghts, as the weaknesses will seem less negative that way.

I have experience from warehousing.

It's already been mentioned, but be yourself, be positive, show the employer that you want the job, and not a job. Don't take to long to answer the questions either. When it comes to your weaknesses and strengths, always begin with your strenghts, as the weaknesses will seem less negative that way.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Josh

Hi Worksop - my son works in the Wilkinsons distribution depot in Worksop.

When he had his interview I told him what I'll tell you too.

Always greet the interviewer with a firm handshake (make sure your palms aren't sweaty) and thank them for taking the time to see you, it Will impress them and make you stand out from the crowd.

Sit up, smile where poss, don't slouch in your chair, nod at the right times and have a question or two of your own to ask. If they've answered them before you ask, say thanks for going into detail. Or, feel free to jump in and say something like "oh, thanks for telling me that because I was going to ask...." again, it gives them the impression that you're truly interested and willing to put some effort in.

Take your time to answer, don't feel the need to rush. They'd much rather you came out with sensible answers and not garbled ones but don't ramble on for ages.

If the subject of training comes up, say you're more than willing to undertake any to improve your skills.

At the end of it all, when you've won them over, repeat said handshake and thank them for their time, that's most important.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

i recently had a interview i am 48 years of age and was my first ever interview...at the end of the interview the guy said to me what can you offer my company..i said straight away to him i am a very hard worker..as soon as i said that he was like a dog with two cocks ;) he was blabbering on about yes thats what i expect out all my staff blah blah blah....dunno if i got the job tho he said he would let me know some time next week...anyway good luck with your interview

Good points from all here, but I have a few to add that are not obvious and a couple that at first thought could look bad but will do you well.

1. If you don't understand the question ask for it to be re-phrased. You might think this will make you look daft but it will have the opposite effect. It makes you look willing to make sure you understand what you are being asked to do before doing it. Also, dont forget it could be the interviewers first interview too, and they may have posed a confusing question.

2. When answering try to slip in a few key words like punctual, diligent, accurate, enthusiastic, willing, eager, reliable and receptive to criticism and advice.

3. They will probably ask you what your strengths and weaknesses are, have them prepared. Strengths are easy to state and explain. Weaknesses can be tricky - as you dont want to make yourself out to be useless at things. Have an answer prepared, and something about how you have improved it in the past and intend to improve it in the future, or that you would make the most of any training opportunities available within the company.

4. Research the job. Find out as much as you can about how the Warehouse works (some companies will elt you have a visit and a look around before interview) and find out the structure in terms of workers. supervisors etc... so when they ask you why you want the job you can give answers like " the type of work appears to be perfect for me", "I will enjoy and apply myslef to the tasks I will need to do", I am interested in progressing within the company to the highest level role that I can" and have information to back up your answers. An example for the wharehouse could be working your way to forklift driver, taking up the training for the relevant licenses etc...

5. Dont be surprised if there is a basic Maths and Literacy test, as my step-son did at Wilkos

6. Dont waffle, and try not give a leading answer. By that I mean mention something specific that you have limited knowledge of, that the interviewer could latch onto and ask questions about.

7. Most of all be yourself, be confident and polite. Sit up straight or slighly forward to show you are being attentive. Try not to figit or look out of the window for inspiration before answering questions.

8. Remember they are only people themselves, and they sat where you will be sitting once, and often they are as nervous as you are.

Good luck, hope it works out for you and hope I have helped.

That's a really big help ladyram, thank you!

I'll try and include all of those things.

And thanks saljet, good luck with yours.

Thanks again people :)

No probs Worksop - I'm glad to help!

Good luck chuck :D

Archived