Sheff UTD (A) - Match Thread

Eoghan1884

I thought when Ozoh went down we should go to a 5 at the back system for this game but after looking at how sheff U are playing I think 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 would suit the game more. They’re playing hamer as a left winger who naturally drifts into the centre and pushes Burrows up the pitch where we’d need Nyambe to deal with him. 

In possession they will essentially have four central midfielders so we will need 3 centre mids to match up with them aswell as pulling our left winger in to sit on Arblaster who’s usually the anchor in midfield. They’ve Gilchrist at right back who’s very similar to Nyambe as a full back, defensively sound and doesn’t wander forward too often, which leaves them with a back three essentially when on the ball. 

We could leave Yates to find space with Jackson to run off him as he can attack the space Burrows leaves when he gets forward. We will have to work very hard but on the counter Yates and Jackson should find time and space in pockets on both wings where they’re most effective. 

JWZ

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Elder

Ebou Osborn 

Jackson Kenzo NML

Yates 

Ebou will need to hold onto O’Hare all game and Elder will have to have one hell of a game against Rak-Sakyi, apart from those two we won’t have to man a mark any players but will have to work very hard to try keep clean sheet or get a result. 

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Zetterstrom

Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin   Elder

Goudmijn   Adams   Osborn

Jackson   Mendez-Laing

Yates

Subs: Vickers, Phillips, Ward, Forsyth, Thompson, Harness, Collins, Brown

Pretty much picks itself. Does sound like Thompson won't be fit though, and we're suddenly a bit light in CM options. Would also rather have CBT on the bench than Collins.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Pretty much picks itself. Does sound like Thompson won't be fit though, and we're suddenly a bit light in CM options. Would also rather have CBT on the bench than Collins.

I forgot to add Bradley to the bench (only named 8 subs). Thompson is a concern but I feel Warne will name him on the bench anyway. We're struggling in the CM and AM/W positions at the moment.
   CM: Ozoh out, Thompson a doubt, Osborn only just back from injury and unlikely to last a full 90, Goudmijn still adjusting to the intensity with question marks over if he can last the full 90 on a consistent basis yet.
   AM/W: Barkhuizen a doubt, Chirewa was out with concussion but may be back, Blackett-Taylor struggling for form.

Without a CM sub, we'll be forced to play 343 or 3412 if once of the 3 have to come off - probably an easy way of getting Phillips into the side. If delving into the U21s (with I doubt Warne will), Stepien-Iwumene will be least phased by being thrown in (as we saw during pre-season), but I would like to see Hawkins on there as I'm sure it'll be a better long term benefit for club and player

I think Warne was always looking at a 3 at the back for this one. As I believe this will be our formation away from PP more often than not this season going forward. 

Having 2no. 10's, instead of 2 wingers will help get people closer to Yates and not having him as isolated on the counter. With a lot more attention to the middle of the park. 

50/50 between Ward & Nyambe, think Nyambe may just keep his spot due to form

Jacob

Nelson   Phillips  Cash 

Nyambe    Ebou         Ozzy      Elder

King Ken         Jackson

Yates

Hopefully a bit more freedom for Kenzo too

Edited by AljosaAsanovic

I can absolutely see why we might be tempted to go with this cautious approach but we don’t have sufficient up front to provide an outlet when we get the ball.

Neither wing back is especially attacking and if they get to the byline, there’s little to aim for.

I think we have to risk losing to get a result. Let them worry about our front three, released by Kenzo, and trust Osborn and Adams to protect the back four.

Otherwise we’ll be looking at a 30:70 possession game which is harder to cope with away from home. 

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Neither wing back is especially attacking and if they get to the byline, there’s little to aim for.

Worked OK for the goal on Saturday. If we do go for 5 at the back, if he's for I'd rather see Wilson at RWB instead of Nyambe.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Worked OK for the goal on Saturday. If we do go for 5 at the back, if he's for I'd rather see Wilson at RWB instead of Nyambe.

I’m happy to see see Nyambe at right back in a four where his attributes are best suited. We need to decide between Phillips and Nelson, not try to accommodate both.

Let’s let NML, Yates and Jackson run at them and trust a back four.

That’s my opinion and I’ve been wrong many times before 😊

I think with all of the injuries, Warne will see it as an opportunity to mix things up and take a more defensive approach given Sheff Utd’s attacking quality.

Zetterstrom

Nyambe - Nelson - Phillips - Cashin - Elder

Goudmijn - Adams - Osborn

Jackson - Yates

I think naturally we’ll be worried about the pace of Rak Sakyi, the technical quality of Hamer and O’Hare, and the presence of Moore, so maybe with this set up, we’ll be better placed to contain them.

The test here is seeing whether we can keep the game competitive and maybe pinch a point, or at the very least keeping the score respectable.

I wonder if he’ll go with Phillips as a deep lying CDM                

Zetterstrom

Goudmijn   Phillips   Adams
Jackson                        Mendez-Laing 

Yates

4 hours ago, Ramarena said:

I wonder if he’ll go with Phillips as a deep lying CDM                

Zetterstrom

Goudmijn   Phillips   Adams
Jackson                        Mendez-Laing 

Yates

Has Phillips played as a CDM before? It’s a lot to ask someone to play their first full game in a position they’re not too familiar with so maybe a back three is a safer option.

34 minutes ago, Allen said:

Has Phillips played as a CDM before? It’s a lot to ask someone to play their first full game in a position they’re not too familiar with so maybe a back three is a safer option.

I'm sure it's been said that Klopp had played him in there. 

I wouldn't be dropping Elder and Nyambe to accommodate a switch to a back 3 myself. I wouldn't be dropping any of the back four tbh. In my little head, the options are pretty straightforward; Philips comes in at CDM or Osborn plays LM and Ebou adopts the central role. With the defence already looking very solid, I'd favour Philips in midfield, given he's meant to be as adept there as at CB. That said, I thought Osborn looked really good before his niggle and it's feasible he may be viewed as the percentage call. 

44 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

I'm sure it's been said that Klopp had played him in there. 

21 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I wouldn't be dropping Elder and Nyambe to accommodate a switch to a back 3 myself. I wouldn't be dropping any of the back four tbh. In my little head, the options are pretty straightforward; Philips comes in at CDM or Osborn plays LM and Ebou adopts the central role. With the defence already looking very solid, I'd favour Philips in midfield, given he's meant to be as adept there as at CB. That said, I thought Osborn looked really good before his niggle and it's feasible he may be viewed as the percentage call. 

Dom and Ed were talking about this on BBC radio derby and they can’t find any record of Phillips ever playing in midfield or klopp talking about it. I also had a look and can’t see any record of him playing there either. I actually think this has stemmed from someone making a mistake and saying he played there before. If he can great but I don’t think he actually ever has.

1 hour ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Dom and Ed were talking about this on BBC radio derby and they can’t find any record of Phillips ever playing in midfield or klopp talking about it. I also had a look and can’t see any record of him playing there either. I actually think this has stemmed from someone making a mistake and saying he played there before. If he can great but I don’t think he actually ever has.

It feels like version 32 of shoving a cb who's half decent on the ball at DM.

2 hours ago, Magicman said:

JWZ 

Nelson Phillips Cashin 

Nyambe Adams Osborn Elder 

Kenzo 

Jackon Yates 

Can’t see him dropping NML who just seems to be finding form after a slow start. Personally, I’d go Osborn for Ozoh the only change from Cardiff. Would mean a slight change in formation but I wouldn’t change a back 4 who are playing well individually and as a unit.

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I forgot to add Bradley to the bench (only named 8 subs). Thompson is a concern but I feel Warne will name him on the bench anyway. We're struggling in the CM and AM/W positions at the moment.
   CM: Ozoh out, Thompson a doubt, Osborn only just back from injury and unlikely to last a full 90, Goudmijn still adjusting to the intensity with question marks over if he can last the full 90 on a consistent basis yet.
   AM/W: Barkhuizen a doubt, Chirewa was out with concussion but may be back, Blackett-Taylor struggling for form.

Without a CM sub, we'll be forced to play 343 or 3412 if once of the 3 have to come off - probably an easy way of getting Phillips into the side. If delving into the U21s (with I doubt Warne will), Stepien-Iwumene will be least phased by being thrown in (as we saw during pre-season), but I would like to see Hawkins on there as I'm sure it'll be a better long term benefit for club and player

I do think Warne might use this as a reason to bring Phillips in and shift to 343. We've not brought in him to keep him on the bench and I think it'll just be a case of facing a good team + need to make change + warnes preference for 3 at the back will make the case for it. 

Makes it easier to have cover in midfield as well. 

I'm not 100% how you best balance a 343 to get the most out of Goudmijn though. I think it probably depends on choice of wing back and perhaps getting one or both to act more like a midfielder.