UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

48 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Ooh you got me. Yes I was using the term footballing expert rather loosely.

I was referring to the ex-players, ex-managers and coaches that we hear giving their opinions all over the media. That most ordinary fans will consider to have more knowledge about football than themselves.

Rio Ferdinand when Rodri didn't play in the 2nd half 😁

7 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I'm a proud Englishman...so

Who did he bring this pride back to...Players, Pundits, Media or fans

Players...of unimaginable wealth 

Pundits...who are paid to Bla Bla Bla

Media...who swing from tree to tree to look for their next headline

Fans...who demand we win.

Not a pop at you Alph just a question 👍

I felt he brought back the fans that would roll their eyes at the chances of England ever winning anything and would not get behind players who played for rival clubs. 

And brought back pride for players who saw an England call up as hiding to nothing and were much more loyal to their clubs. I just get the feeling now that they join up for England and actually form a tight unit and team. 

I might be wrong. But I was never really positive about England when it was Beckham, Gerrard and Co. They came across as big egos who couldn't put aside what they achieved at club level and play a role. I'll just roll up and be awesome like I am for Liverpool. Then we'll lose but I'll be in Heat Magazine with my Mrs before heading to the beach for 2 weeks. Then proper football starts.

1 hour ago, Alph said:

Well he's gone anyway. 

Whoever we get better be able to keep the team spirit and love for playing for England at the same standard. 

A lot of what turned people off England was a bunch of superstars who were more bothered about their clubs and their sponsors and the super duper Premier League. 

Southgate at least brought back pride 

I think from some of the players 'hopes' they wanted more than the pride they already had. 

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think from some of the players 'hopes' they wanted more than the pride they already had. 

They sound pretty loyal from the way they've reacted to criticism and comments about the possibility of him leaving. 

I think Bellingham said he's more determined to win something for him if he stays because of how much he's helped him. And if he leaves he wishes him nothing but the best. 

The usual PR nicey nicey response for a manager you don't believe in wouldn't be so specific. It would be all wishy washy stuff. Sounds to me like he's created something similar to what Lampard had at Derby. Which whatever we say about the football, it's a lot better than the lads on tour days of Sven?

Gareth Southgate came through the FA ranks so was a known quantity.

I think the investment the FA made in establishing continuity through the youth teams and improving coaching at younger levels has been important for developing a number of the current squad.

Maybe there's a lot to be said for bringing through an insider rather than an external hired gun appointment.

What's Aidy Boothroyd up to these days.....🤭