Peterborough

Just have a feeling Peterborough are the dark horses to watch out for. They played very well at Pride Park and seem to have got over a very dodgy period, with now 5 wins on the trot and scoring goals for fun. They had a a 3-1 win over Stevenage last night but got absolutely battered by Stevenage for 60 minutes. Without resorting to too much fouling they were just too physically strong for Peterborough who hardly got a kick before getting a breakaway penalty which was totally avoidable. Could easily have been 2 or 3 down by then.

So they are having some luck too. Saturday is a pivotal day as they play Portsmouth and obviously we have Bolton. Should have a good idea of what will be what after Saturday.

Yes last night was disappointing. Stevenage should really have got something from the match. 

Starting to think them having Bolton on the last day of the season isn’t that beneficial. Especially if Bolton can’t get autos. 

It’ll be the second successive season were a hard match isn’t as hard as it should be because of circumstance. 

Hope them and Portsmouth draw on sat.

Edited by TomTom92

46 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Funny how the same "poor finishers" cause of their underachievement for some have hit almost 3x their xG last 4 games, just maybe it simply hadn't all evened itself out eh @Ghost of Clough? 😉

Further proof you don't know what you're talking about. You're using a small 4 game period to justify your argument.

Your argument is like saying Kane will go 6 games without a goal to "even out" his xG and actual goals. Why can't you see some players are better at finishing than others?

Looking at Peterborough fixtures between Saturday and the last game of the season, it may not be a bad thing if they beat Portsmouth....provided we beat Bolton!

It would put a lot of pressure on our game V Portsmouth but I wouldn't be wholly surprised to see Posh +1 go up in the autos with Portsmouth in the play-offs. Portsmouth have a horrible run-in.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You're using a small 4 game period to justify your argument.

That was precisely my point on what you did, you used a sample of less than a season to judge their lower goals to xG and correlate it with worse finishers. City and Liverpool with their world class finishers have the same conversion rate as Fulham and West Ham, you need several seasons for such things to even out. And you were picking the wrong fight anyway as it's more a case of other teams over-scoring or under-conceding.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why can't you see some players are better at finishing than others?

I never said that, what I said is that usually there isn't much of a difference over time maybe a 5%, the main thing being the creation or prevention of xG, and what you see is mainly fluctuations (of players/teams not hitting their true average over different chunks, eg. Haaland and Nunez's recent return is the same as Jade Jones's). xG providers themselves say this has been proven and its purpose is not really to judge finishing this way but some will still not accept it and answer "jog on".

44 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Gonna move this to the Football Forum.

😲 Where the hell did the OP put it?

"Quaint UK market towns and other beautiful places to visit for blind people with no sense of smell"?   🤷‍♂️ 😄

2 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

... Should have a good idea of what will be what after Saturday.

Nah!

If we win, it'll be all "We are going up!"
If we don't, it'll be all "Hey, we still have 21 points to play for.  Lots of twists and turns to come yet" etc.

After Saturday... We'll all be none the wiser!  😄

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Nah!

If we win, it'll be all "We are going up!"
If we don't, it'll be all "Hey, we still have 21 points to play for.  Lots of twists and turns to come yet" etc.

After Saturday... We'll all be none the wiser!  😄

Don’t agree. We will know a lot more more about the strength and resolve of Bolton and how we cope with the pressure of playing a top side, in a game that really matters.

The other thing I meant to mention in my post was how well we did to stand up to Stevenage at Pride Park a few weeks ago. Peterborough just could not cope with their strength and aggression and were fortunate really to come out with what looked a comfortable win score wise.

Gives me confidence that PW mainly gets his game plans spot on.