The 2024 Motorsports Thread

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Yet another stonking MotoGP race....

The 3 big boys having a proper race, the good enough to be a problem guys all getting stuck in just behind.

MotoGP does really need to figure out what's gone wrong with honda and Yamaha though (having already killed off Suzuki and Kawasaki were done for many years ago) - it's like KTM and Aprilia are track specific can mix it with the Ducati but honda and Yamaha need to get it sorted out.

F1 returns at Imola this weekend.

Has the downfall of max Verstappen been somewhat prematurely declared?

Will McLaren continue to impress?

Will Ferrari upgrades work?

Are mercedes still rubbish?

Will this be the last race for Logan sergeant?

Will Magnusson get himself a race ban, they used to be fairly regular back in the 90s I seem to remember.

Well, at least max had to kind of pull his finger out half a knuckle to get pole I suppose.

Good result for McLaren, meh for Ferrari, oh hello 23 spec Perez, where you been hiding?

Speaking of which, great news for the Danny Ricciardo fans, he out qualified Perez. Bad news for Danny Ricciardo fans, Tsnuoda out qualified him.

Story of day though has to be Hulkenherg who really looked impressive in what it has to be said, is a Haas team improved none by the absence of Gunther....K-mag had his lap spoiled but would likely have posted a decent time.

And it's back to normal service....or is it?

Verstappen actually had to work for that, and a so close yet so far race for Lando.

Behind them Leckerc, Piastri and Sainz then the mercedes, Perez was completely anonymous except for a trip to the gravel and a surprisingly competent baby stroll with Yuki picking up another point and I'm sure for home they're all nail shaped in the F1 coffin of his team mate, close but no cigar for Haas getting a point and a horrible day for both Williams and Fernando.

Fingers crossed for a more interesting race than the usual Monaco borefest- a lot of cars with very similar performance in qualifying but still very few overtaking opportunities as the cars get faster every year. 

At least there’s a MotoGP if F1 disappoints - and if today’s sprint race is anything to go by, it should be a cracker…

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Fingers crossed for a more interesting race than the usual Monaco borefest- a lot of cars with very similar performance in qualifying but still very few overtaking opportunities as the cars get faster every year. 

At least there’s a MotoGP if F1 disappoints - and if today’s sprint race is anything to go by, it should be a cracker…

no motogp spoilers pls.

There's also BTCC from Donington Park and for the fans of only truning slightly left there's the indi500.

I think there's also british gt this weekend.

5 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Yeah, was pretty dramatic.

I think that's the first time I've seen a trackhaus bike on the tv coverage!

2 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Got up early to get a few bits done so I could watch the Monaco GP. I could have had another hour in bed!

Ocon real name should be oh quel con! French for what an idiot!

Just seen the lap 1 events.

Magunsson v Perez is probably more racing incident than anything but more on K-mag than checo, there wasn't really the space to be there and what spece there was was going to vanish and certainly there was no move on, but both of them should've had better awareness and both still been racing.

Esteban, well, the great Senna said "if you no longer go for a gap, you;re no longer a racing driver" I guess the less great Ocon can comfort himself with "if you no longer go for a gap that isn't there, you're no longer Esteban Ocon". Hopefully the Ocon and Gasly best friends club can finally combust into the kind of drama I've been waiting 2 years for.

Another utterly mundane 'race' at an arcane circuit that is not and never has been fit for purpose. Outside of quali, the racing offers nothing as a spectacle other than a glimpse into the lives of the uber-wealthy and yet every year the presenters gush over the 'romance and glamour' and historical significance of the occasion. TBH, I don't think I'll ever watch another race live from Monaco. 

10 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Another utterly mundane 'race' at an arcane circuit that is not and never has been fit for purpose. Outside of quali, the racing offers nothing as a spectacle other than a glimpse into the lives of the uber-wealthy and yet every year the presenters gush over the 'romance and glamour' and historical significance of the occasion. TBH, I don't think I'll ever watch another race live from Monaco. 

I've done my best to defend Monaco over the years, but yesterday even I watched something else.

Verstappen stuck in 6th made it easier to take. 

Sky/Channel 4 do seem to actually think fans of the sport can be seduced by images of celebs and yachts. You're about to sell us 78 laps of fast (but as slow as they can go) traffic. And you're telling me it's exciting because you're having fun looking at a rich person's boat. 

Get rid of Spa. What we need is a tight 1 car width New York street circuit. We don't care about racing. We want scenery. Celebrity endorsement. The thing I hate about Spa is that there's no rooftop infinity pools in view. 

Tsunoda fluked another win over Danny Ric. 

Another lol @ Stroll

For contrast, the formula e highlights at monaco show some actual racing, as much as anything the problem with monaco is the F1 cars have been too physically big to race there, and it's been that way since the early 90s. Even back than, monaco suffered from all the drawbacks but to a slightly lesser extent.

One thing I'd consider is keeping Monaco as a round with championship points, but making all the teams field their F1 Academy cars with the F1 drivers. Perhaps only drivers points in that situation, but the cars are already affiliated to teams, they are all a spec chassis so there can be no whinging about unfairness and being smaller, lower powered and without constructor points being at risk, it might encourage a bit more adventure.

Off for my annual trip to the TT in the Isle of Man tomorrow. A couple of days late, but never mind.

News and live timing here:

https://timing.iomttraces.com/last-sectors.html?raid=b78d8a37-10ef-4e26-a364-ec6f6daaae2d

Free radio commentary here:

#NowPlaying - @manxradio on @TuneIn Radio! http://tun.in/sesMD

🏍

Edited by Grumpy Git

2 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Off for my annual trip to the TT in the Isle of Man tomorrow. A couple of days late, but never mind.

News and live timing here:

https://timing.iomttraces.com/last-sectors.html?raid=b78d8a37-10ef-4e26-a364-ec6f6daaae2d

Free radio commentary here:

#NowPlaying - @manxradio on @TuneIn Radio! http://tun.in/sesMD

🏍

Have a great time, hope the weather is good for you.