How can we finish in the top 2?

sage

It would have been intresting to keep a track of our luck over a season and see if it does equal itself out over the course of time. Even if it just tracked dodgy Referee decisions, for and against. I suspect that we remember the dodgy Referee decisions that go against us far longer than we do those that go for us.  

16 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

It would have been intresting to keep a track of our luck over a season and see if it does equal itself out over the course of time. Even if it just tracked dodgy Referee decisions, for and against. I suspect that we remember the dodgy Referee decisions that go against us far longer than we do those that go for us.  

Do they seem dodgy when they go for us?

If we were Lincoln fans we'd still be moaning that Collins was offside, but as it is, we just convince ourselves that the unseen RB is playing him on 

7 minutes ago, sage said:

If we were Lincoln fans we'd still be moaning that Collins was offside, but as it is, we just convince ourselves that the unseen RB is playing him on 

When seen through black and white glasses the "dodgy Referee decisions" that go on our favour all ways seem justified 😄

Spent a bit of time the other day just comparing this season in League 1 compared to other years to see a pattern. After looking at the last 5/6 years the playoff teams have pretty much bedded in by this period but there has been the odd anomaly (i.e covid). 18/19 seems to be the most similar after 22 games. That season Portsmouth were top with 48 points after 22 games and then ended up 4th with 88 points. They had a lousy January. Luton who went on to win the league only lost twice more and had the best form from November going into the new year. The next 10 games will show who's serious.

Either way keep sticking the ball in the net and avoid the opposition doing the same to us and we'll be up there...somewhere!

2 hours ago, sage said:

I was refering to the Bolton ref who was heavily criticised by the assessor as having made several incorrect game changing decisions.

Regarding the Lincoln game, I thought that Collins was offside at the time, but the club's highlights show seems to indicate that he was onside, a marginal decision similar to the Wycombe goal on Saturday. I tend to accept marginal decisions, even wrong ones, but some of the penalties we conceded last season were ridiculous, thankfully that situation seems to have improved somewhat this season. 

It's not just the number of dodgy decisions for and against that need to be considered, it's also the impact that these decisions have on the game. If Collins' hadn't stood, would it have changed the result, probably not. If the Wycombe penalty had been pulled back for an offside decision, that would have definitely changed the result.

As I've said, fine margins and a bit of luck one way or another.

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

I was refering to the Bolton ref who was heavily criticised by the assessor as having made several incorrect game changing decisions.

Regarding the Lincoln game, I thought that Collins was offside at the time, but the club's highlights show seems to indicate that he was onside, a marginal decision similar to the Wycombe goal on Saturday. I tend to accept marginal decisions, even wrong ones, but some of the penalties we conceded last season were ridiculous, thankfully that situation seems to have improved somewhat this season. 

It's not just the number of dodgy decisions for and against that need to be considered, it's also the impact that these decisions have on the game. If Collins' hadn't stood, would it have changed the result, probably not. If the Wycombe penalty had been pulled back for an offside decision, that would have definitely changed the result.

As I've said, fine margins and a bit of luck one way or another.

I thought the footage showed someone who MAY have played him onside, based on guessing any movement for a couple of seconds

3 hours ago, sage said:

I thought the footage showed someone who MAY have played him onside, based on guessing any movement for a couple of seconds

From a Lincoln view, he MAY NOT have played him onside. With the lack of conclusive evidence either way, it wasn't a decision to get annoyed about, which ever way it went.

On 24/12/2023 at 11:32, ap04 said:
On 23/12/2023 at 21:10, plymouthram said:

My conculsion is: luck plays a bigger part of a League one team more so than a Championship or Premiership team and thats down to the standard of referee's at this level.

Luck = whether the better team wins, refereeing doesn't come into it.

If the ref does'nt give you stonewall penalty decisions and gives the opponents dodgy penalties etc, that's down to luck. BAD LUCK for having a crap referee that's cost you the game.