Cost of Sport

ketteringram

I'm very out of touch, with pretty much everything I think. Having enjoyed a lot of the rugby world cup games on TV, I thought it'd be good to go and watch a game. Back in the mid 70s up to the early 80s, I used to go and watch Gloucester RFC several times a season. Rugby was quite a different sport then. 

Anyway, nearest premiership side to me is Northampton. So, onto the website, which is brilliant, pick a game, buy tickets etc. Let's you choose your seat, so I picked a block about level with the 22 metre line. £68 each. So if me and her go, £136 before petrol, parking , food etc. Thought I'd done something wrong, so tried another block , same price. Even behind the posts was £48 each. That's for a mid season run of the mill game.

So, I was wondering what it costs , as a one off ticket , to go to a test match at Lord's for example. Or a day at the Open championship? Wimbledon? Spurs v Man city? GP at Silverstone? Heavyweight fight at a London stadium?

I'm sure there's folk on here who go to watch sport other than DCFC , so just wondered how much it costs ! 

Edited by ketteringram

22 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

So, I was wondering what it costs , as a one off ticket , to go to a test match at Lord's for example. Or a day at the Open championship? Wimbledon? Spurs v Man city? GP at Silverstone? Heavyweight fight at a London stadium?

I'm sure there's folk on here who go to watch sport other than DCFC , so just wondered how much it costs ! 

tenor.gif?itemid=12724781&ehk=SCv%2B1Snc

Sport does cost a fortune.

As well as Derby, I sometimes watch the Nottingham Panthers (and had tickets for the Sunday game which was obviously cancelled, due to the tragedy that occurred the day before).

They were £25, which for four of us isn’t cheap.

However, my tickets to see the abysmal performance of the Atlanta Falcons at Wembley cost £81 each, so in comparison…

On 29/10/2023 at 13:19, ketteringram said:

I'm very out of touch, with pretty much everything I think. Having enjoyed a lot of the rugby world cup games on TV, I thought it'd be good to go and watch a game. Back in the mid 70s up to the early 80s, I used to go and watch Gloucester RFC several times a season. Rugby was quite a different sport then. 

Anyway, nearest premiership side to me is Northampton. So, onto the website, which is brilliant, pick a game, buy tickets etc. Let's you choose your seat, so I picked a block about level with the 22 metre line. £68 each. So if me and her go, £136 before petrol, parking , food etc. Thought I'd done something wrong, so tried another block , same price. Even behind the posts was £48 each. That's for a mid season run of the mill game.

£120 per ticket Wales v Scotland 6 nations in Feb. That's the mid range price. 

On the other hand I paid 13 euros to see Eintracht Frankfurt v Aberdeen in the Conference league last month.standing 13 euros, seating 20 euros. 

League cup semi final on Saturday £28 flat rate at Hampden. 

I once had a ticket to an England v India ODI at Lords that was £110. That was about 12 years ago so probably not come down in price.

I remember British superbikes and british touring cars being of the order of thirty quid but it's been a while so probably crept up.

Had a fairly cheap ticket for Scotland v Argentina rugby match about 5 years ago, think it was something like £28.

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

They can be bought as slightly discounted rates through clubs, but a 6N game involving ENgland at Twickenham will set you back around £300 to £400 for half decent seats. We did get to see Fiji dry hump there before the RWC for around 10% of that cost though.

Is that the Fiji version of the Hakka 

12 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

They can be bought as slightly discounted rates through clubs, but a 6N game involving ENgland at Twickenham will set you back around £300 to £400 for half decent seats. We did get to see Fiji dry hump there before the RWC for around 10% of that cost though.

That's fecking insane 😬

My early bird Derbyshire membership cost me £199, for that you get admittance to every form of cricket, you can also have 2 junior Membership’s (under 15) for free as well as 5 free day tickets (excluding T20). You also get 10% off any purchases at the ground, having said that it’s £6.50 a pint, but you can take your own beer in apart from T20 matches

30 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

My early bird Derbyshire membership cost me £199, for that you get admittance to every form of cricket, you can also have 2 junior Membership’s (under 15) for free as well as 5 free day tickets (excluding T20). You also get 10% off any purchases at the ground, having said that it’s £6.50 a pint, but you can take your own beer in apart from T20 matches

If you have the time and inclination to watch cricket that seems a good deal.

Do you know what one off T20 tickets are, just curious?

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If you have the time and inclination to watch cricket that seems a good deal.

Do you know what one off T20 tickets are, just curious?

I retired 3 years ago I’ve had a ticket since then

T20 tickets are around £20 about a fiver more for the Notts and Yorkshire games

you can buy a membership for just the T20 games I think they’re £89 you get 7 home games in T20

9 hours ago, The Last Post said:

That's fecking insane 😬

It most certainly is, but it's supply and demand and for any significant game, the latter outstrips the former. Other home nations are cheaper to watch if a trip to Wales, Scotland, Ireland or Paris is doable; we can do the Olympic Stadium in Rome for a similar cost to an England game with flights and accommodation thrown in!

Whilst it seems like a lot of cash (and it is!), I love going to the rugby with the lad way more than the money it costs me, so I don't fuss too much over paying it 😋