BELPER TAPAS TRAIL 8TH AND 9th SEPTEMBER

sage

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Have you got a recommended route for anyone arriving by train who doesn;t know their way around Belper. Maybe a pub crawl that would end up fairly close to the station for 7ish to get back to Derby for the last train to Utch!

Yes, is the Saturday? if so, walk through to the Station and Lion Hotel car parks to

1, Scuffles and new, tiny Pizza place. At this point we may have 2 new places near there, after which walk up Long Row a cobbled street with Strutt cottages and Mill Street (steep) to

2 The Thorn Tree for Greek food and choice of 6 beers, then along Penn Street to

3 The Grapes for Ploughmans style food (pork pie etc) and choice of 4 beers before walking down the hill to the Market Place to

4  Angels (next to No 28) for more Ploughmans with choice of 8 beers plus 10 ciders before walking down King Street past the shops and turn left onto Campbell Street for

5 Arkwrights for Indian food and choice of 8 beers and the first half of the England game before back to King Street to

6 The Railway Inn for Spanish food and choice of 8 beers and 6 craft beers and the 2nd half of the game, as the name suggests it's next to the station for the 7.34pm train to Derby which gives you an hour in Derby for more beer before the train home to Utch

I will advice if we add extra pubs between stops 1 and 2, everywhere has a TV except Angels   

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Yes, is the Saturday? if so, walk through to the Station and Lion Hotel car parks to

1, Scuffles and new, tiny Pizza place. At this point we may have 2 new places near there, after which walk up Long Row a cobbled street with Strutt cottages and Mill Street (steep) to

2 The Thorn Tree for Greek food and choice of 6 beers, then along Penn Street to

3 The Grapes for Ploughmans style food (pork pie etc) and choice of 4 beers before walking down the hill to the Market Place to

4  Angels (next to No 28) for more Ploughmans with choice of 8 beers plus 10 ciders before walking down King Street past the shops and turn left onto Campbell Street for

5 Arkwrights for Indian food and choice of 8 beers and the first half of the England game before back to King Street to

6 The Railway Inn for Spanish food and choice of 8 beers and 6 craft beers and the 2nd half of the game, as the name suggests it's next to the station for the 7.34pm train to Derby which gives you an hour in Derby for more beer before the train home to Utch

I will advice if we add extra pubs between stops 1 and 2, everywhere has a TV except Angels   

Top man! Sounds like a plan.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Beware the Morris Dancers, they are around that day, you may get roped in which i would pay to see 

I always say I'll try anything once, except incest and Morris dancing.

Oh, add the Abbots Bromley horn dancing to that list as well.

25 minutes ago, sage said:

The Railway Inn for Spanish food and choice of 8 beers and 6 craft beers and the 2nd half of the game, as the name suggests it's next to the station for the 7.34pm train to Derby which gives you an hour in Derby for more beer before the train home to Utch

Great, we'll be able to annoy @rynny as well.

12 hours ago, sage said:

Arkwrights for Indian food

I don't know if it's Open All Hours that I can't shift out my head, or Arkwrights really is a bizarre name for an Indian restaurant.

I guess it's different. 

Just now, David said:

I don't know if it's Open All Hours that I can't shift out my head, or Arkwrights really is a bizarre name for an Indian restaurant.

I guess it's different. 

It's a pub. It's called Arlwrights after the local mill owner Richard Arkwright, it's in Strutt House which is named after an even more local mill owner, Herbert Strutt. Anyway, enough with the history. 

All the venues are pubs, apart from one. So...pub beer and prices on a crawl round with snacks en route. 

What's not to like.  

4 minutes ago, sage said:

It's a pub. It's called Arlwrights after the local mill owner Richard Arkwright, it's in Strutt House which is named after an even more local mill owner, Herbert Strutt. Anyway, enough with the history. 

All the venues are pubs, apart from one. So...pub beer and prices on a crawl round with snacks en route. 

What's not to like.  

Well that makes more sense!

Hope you've got some gluten free options for @Boycie organised, don't want to see him when he's hangry

21 hours ago, sage said:

Just added The Devonshire Arms for between 1 and 2. Not sure what food they are doing yet. 

On 28/08/2023 at 22:28, sage said:

Beware the Morris Dancers, they are around that day, you may get roped in which i would pay to see 

My mate, a season ticket holder in the South Stand, has actually confessed to me that his brother in law will be morris dancing on the day.

I wave goodbye to any last shred of street cred i ever had......