Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Thompson who is only 21 was in the squad until his injury,

Robinson who is only 18 has been in several matchday squads this season.

There is a lack of intent by the management team to play younger players.

Thompson was given minimal minutes last season, then Warne was still reluctant to use him this season. When he did, it was at LM.

Robinson has been in 8 of Warne's matchday squads and only used on the pitch once - during his first month managing the club. The Carlisle game when we were winning 2-0 was the perfect opportunity to bring him on as a late sub.

Other youngsters have been named in squads, but the intent is never to actually test them. Warne stated he was hoping we would go 3-0 up vs Notts County for us to give them a run out.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

7 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

There are many posters here much more knowledgeable about the Academy and the players in it than me. But personally I find it really disappointing that we are the biggest club in League One with a Category A academy, yet don't have a single homegrown player under 21 in the the first choice matchday squad. I am not counting Jake Rooney as homegrown, and Bird, Cashin, Sibley are all established players now who emerged several years ago. 

There is a gap in the 19-21 age groups, with Bardell the only remaining player from them, and he is currently injured. Delap, Williams and Gordon got poached from those groups, and all would have been in our first team.
Other notable players from those age groups, who I felt had a chance of making it in our first team being: Solomon, Aghatise, Roberts, Ibrahim and Borkovic. Whilst Roberts and Ibrahim didn't really kick on from when they were 16/17 and their first involvement with the first team, the others suffered from a series of injuries.

The next age group has already lost Ryan (who I felt was the best CB we've had in the academy in a long time) and Ebiowei (who was already in the first team 2 seasons ago), but we do still have Evans, Richards, and DRobinson.

From the two age groups below them, we have lost Kellyman, Sharpe, Scanlon and Kaba. Whilst they're all talented and their departures had an impact on the overall quality, none were head and shoulders above the likes of Cox, Hawkins, Davidson, Brown, JThompson, Allen, etc... I woudln't expect any of them to be regulars in the matchday squad yet, but I would expect a handful of minutes throughout the season. If they are named in the squads, then there needs to be an intent to play them, and give them a meaningful amount of time on the pitch, no matter if we're 2-0 down or 2-0 up, and definitely not just for 1 minute to run the clock down.

55 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There is a lack of intent by the management team to play younger players.

Thompson was given minimal minutes last season, then Warne was still reluctant to use him this season. When he did, it was at LM.

Robinson has been in 8 of Warne's matchday squads and only used on the pitch once - during his first month managing the club. The Carlisle game when we were winning 2-0 was the perfect opportunity to bring him on as a late sub.

Other youngsters have been named in squads, but the intent is never to actually test them. Warne stated he was hoping we would go 3-0 up vs Notts County for us to give them a run out.

I was merely putting the previous poster right on the facts, I don’t have an agenda, I could have also added Bardell and Radcliffe who are both under 21 and have both been in matchday squads for league matches this season.

Agree completely and that’s where I worry. I don’t think that intention is there whether that’s pressure to gain promotion or short term vision but that is the problem. 

Missed seeing this: "A total of six players from Derby County's Academy have been called up to represent their respective countries during the October international break. Cruz Allen, Dan Cox, Carlos Richards, Charlie Lindsay, Darren Robinson and Niall McAndrew have all received call-ups and will head off to compete for their nations next week."

Edited by RoyMac5

4 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Now plays for Belper

I don’t think he does.

Definitely not Belper Town who I follow quite closely and watched them play Bridlington Town on Saturday. Jonathan Hedge has been Belper Town’s goalkeeper all season and Jay Rabone is the back-up goalkeeper.

Possibly Belper United, who I don’t really follow, although their website lists Scott Whittington as their goalkeeper.

Edited by Stuniverse