Frank Fielding signed from Blackburn Rovers 9 May 2011

Day

Derby to definately sign frank fielding on loan for rest of season. Tried to get him for Hull game but didnt manage on time.

Will he be number 1 or 2 though?

I really hope number 1 because bywater puts no confidence in defence. Ayala cleared ball (before bywater injured his back) at start of hull game, ayalas played 1 full game and doesnt trust him already!!

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Bywater was injured before the game last night and was trying to play through it. I didn't see him warming up pre match and he did his back without doing anything.

Bywater was warming up as usual (i.e. catching crosses that Martin Talor kept dropping straight into hs hands - shame that Severn was only there to watch rather than warm up as well....).

Bywater did his back hoofing the ball up field - looked as if he slipped slightly and immediately started to wave at the bench - I thought his kicking improved enormously after he got injured....

It was great to the distance Severn was getting on his kicks, when was the last time we had a goal kick almost reach the edge of the opposition box? If only he could judge corners...... :( Still, at 19 he's got a bit more time to learn.

Bywater's kicking seemed to improve as he put less effort into it, his distance seemed unaffected but his accuracy improved. How strange!

Bywater was warming up as usual (i.e. catching crosses that Martin Talor kept dropping straight into hs hands - shame that Severn was only there to watch rather than warm up as well....).

Bywater did his back hoofing the ball up field - looked as if he slipped slightly and immediately started to wave at the bench - I thought his kicking improved enormously after he got injured....

Must have been my eyes, or getting to my seat after Byewater had gone because the only Gual keeper I saw warming up was Severn, must admit I only saw the shooting practice.

I didn't see Bywater slip, just slice the ball out for a throw in and then grab his back 10 minutes in to the game.

What followed was nothing short of a comedy with visits by the physio, Martin Taylor and then Bywater asking a ball boy to relay a message to the bench. If you were that ball boy what would you have told the bench;)

I didn't see Bywater slip, just slice the ball out for a throw in and then grab his back 10 minutes in to the game.

What followed was nothing short of a comedy with visits by the physio, Martin Taylor and then Bywater asking a ball boy to relay a message to the bench. If you were that ball boy what would you have told the bench;)

The cynic in me would say "he's mardying because Franks coking back"

But as s ballboy "excuse me Mr Clough Stephen says his back is hurting, and he needs to come off, please don't shout at me I'm just the messenger"

On the fielding thing, Deeney is out with his shoulder, is it likely to end his Season? Wouldn't we normally recall Atkins as cover, like we did earlier in thd season as cover for Fielding when we lost Bywater and Deeney It seems a bit of overkill to bring Fielding in as cover for just for Deeney.

Or he might have said, "look, if you're going to sign Frank I'm not going to play any more. If they score it's not my fault as I've made everyone aware I'm not very well".

Someone must know that ball boy, come on spill the beans! What was he asked to relay to Mr Clough?

I said the same to my mate last night, it was embaressing, could you picture Wenger or Fergie doing that. They should have taken him off as soon as it was clear he was injured. Bywaters attitude when distributing the ball whilst injured seemed a bit strange, i did wonder if he was in a bit of a mard.

Just quickly on the Severn missing the cross, someone said to me this morning, how many floodlight games has he played in? Not saying this is the reason he missed the ball but must be a small factor, not being used to the lighting?

Spoken like a true keeper :D

If Deeney or Fielding had been on the bench, Bywater would have come off after 10 minutes. They tried to keep him on till half time for treatment.

Obviously we wanted to avoid putting Severn on unless we really had to. Don't want to sound harsh, but their goals explains why.

Severn certainly commanded his area well last night, was a nice change to see it!

Well I didn't see it that way, in fact he didn't come for any cross which concerned me before the goal.

Feel sorry for the lad though but it goes with the position - no mistakes allowed. I'm sure he'll get over it.

Also thought it was a foul throw by Dawson leading up to the freekick/corner/goal.

Eh, did I miss something? What are you basing this comment on, surely not on what I observed last night.:confused:

I honestly thought he was.

He was screaming at the defence all the time, getting them all sorted out for it.

You never see Bywater do that anymore.

ps. I mean as in, the defenders in his box. Not 'being in charge of his box', as it were. On a few occasions, he could have come out and collected.

All goalkeepers improve a lot with experience. Most young goalkeepers are very agile and good shot stoppers, but usually struggle on crosses, the big issue is when to come, when to stay, when to punch, when to catch -this improves like red wine with age. Fielding is a big improvement on Bywater, maybe this cloud really will have a silver lining.

Give credit to Severn, his distribution of the ball is far better than bywaters :p Fielding was in net when we had that good run, so it'll be interesting to see how we play when he gets back between the sticks.

I thought Severn's pass to their centre forward was excellent distribution, almost Bywater like;)

To be fair his kicking from his hands was very good, great distance and put their defence under pressure. On a less positive note, his ground kicking was no better than Bywater's with 2 or 3 going out to touch.

He's a young pup though and I guess he'll improve and learn a few new tricks, like how to catch the ball. He's either good enough or he's not, if he's not then he shouldn't be on the bench. For saying he's one of Englands best young keeper prospects to me says that he should have reasonable skills at catching or punching a ball coming in from a corner.

Sorry to seem harsh but the odd point will be the difference between survival and relegation at the end of the season in my opinion. Severn missing the ball was the reason for the goal, he completely missed it, sort of punched under the ball as it came in.

I have no axe to grind against Severn but let's keep a sense of perspective on what was observed last night.

Archived