Frank Fielding signed from Blackburn Rovers 9 May 2011

Day

DERBY County are close to signing England Under-21 goalkeeper Frank Fielding on a month's loan.

A deal for the 22-year-old Blackburn Rovers player is expected to be completed in the next 24 hours.

Derby have moved quickly to strengthen their goalkeeping department following the news that number one Stephen Bywater faces at least a month out with a fractured wrist.

Rams' number two, Saul Deeney, could step in when Preston North End visit Pride Park Stadium on Saturday but the Rams felt they needed to bring in another keeper rather than recall young Ross Atkins from his loan spell at Tamworth.

Fielding has yet to make a senior appearance for Blackburn but he has tasted first-team football during loans at Rochdale, Northampton Town and Wycombe Wanderers in recent seasons.

This week he helped England Under-21s to book a place in the European Championship finals.

Their goalless draw in Romania on Tuesday completed a 2-1 aggregate victory.

Fielding is keen to play matches because he finds himself behind Paul Robinson and Mark Bunn in the queue of keepers at Blackburn.

"It is the worst feeling in the world when you are not playing at the end of the week and all you are doing is training, so if someone wants to get me on loan, I'm available," he said.

Derby also asked about loaning Burnley's Lee Grant, the former Rams keeper.

Grant has made only two appearances since joining Burnley from Sheffield Wednesday in the summer and both have been in the Carling Cup.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/sport/Fielding-poised-join-Rams-loan-deal/article-2757225-detail/article.html

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Deeney has an ounce of ambition in him he'll be off in May, only signed a year extension didn't he? if you can't get a game when your the number 1 gets injured what's the point in being here.

Can answer that ....... ££££££££££

I watched Frank Fielding in the U21 match against Romania and he looked very nervous between the sticks and made some very strange saves. It will be interesting to see how he performs in front of 25+k at pride park.

But if he keeps a clean sheet like he did on Tuesday ill be very happy.

I watched Frank Fielding in the U21 match against Romania and he looked very nervous between the sticks and made some very strange saves. It will be interesting to see how he performs in front of 25+k at pride park.

But if he keeps a clean sheet like he did on Tuesday ill be very happy.

They were playing the game with the dreaded Jubilani ball used in the World Cup. Fielding did say after the match that he was having to make his saves much later than usual due to the amount that the ball was moving through the air, so that maybe made some of his saves look a little odd. Still, however it looked I guess his technique was better than Rob Green's.....:eek:

I hope Fielding plays.I have no faith in deeney.

Any reason?

I've only seen him play against Cardiff last season (apart from friendlies that is).

He looked competent with good distribution on that occasion.

Is your no faith based on how he's played or on a pre-conceived idea that he must be crap cos' he's from Burton?

I dont get all this Deeney hate, the lad is on peanuts and is back up for the first team! He hasn't done anything wrong since being here!

Was unlucky to get sent off against Reading, wasnt at fault for goals against Bristol and kept a clean sheet against Cardiff?

He is here to come on when our first team keeper gets injured in a game or gets sent off!

Our first choice keeper is out for a month so I exspect Nige to get another keeper in and proberly so is Deeney! He is basically a lower league Stuart Taylor

Because he rubbish, he made his name in one game against man utd in the fa cup. He doesn't provide competition to Bywater, we got to be the only team that doesn't have two keepers battling for the number one jersey. If he to provide cover if our keeper get sent off or inj then wants wrong with Akins or Stevern?

Deeney wasnt unlucky to be sent off.He was stupid.Watch him at half time when the subs are warming up.All he does is mess about.His attitude looks terrible.

He's a shitheap with the technique of a pub goalkeeper. Bit useless paying him to be back up when we just loan someone in to take over. Be better buying the loanee and using Severn as backup for emergencies

GOALKEEPER Frank Fielding is on course to complete his month-long loan move to Derby County today.

The Blackburn Rovers and England Under-21 stopper was in Derby yesterday and his short-term switch is now just awaiting confirmation from the Football League.

"Frank travelled to Derby on Thursday and did the majority of the paperwork," said a Rams spokesman last night. "The formalities should be completed on Friday morning and then he'll be able to train with the squad."

Fielding, 22, will provide cover for the injured Stephen Bywater, who has been ruled out for at least a month with a fractured wrist.

He will battle it out for the number one shirt with Saul Deeney ahead of tomorrow's Championship match against Preston North End.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/sport/Keeper-s-Rams-switch-completed-today/article-2761266-detail/article.html

Archived