What's on earth is going on with new movies?

Bob The Badger

I've wanted to watch Operation Mincemeat for a while now and it's been out about a year, but it's still not available to rent on Amazon, I'd have to buy it for £13.99, which is never going to happen. I'd pay a fiver, but no more.

Sky are running a deal at the moment to get free movies for 30 days so we decided to do it.

We looked at 2 more we want to watch, but they are both also on Prime.

The Banshees of Inisherin is £11.99,  and The Batman which is £6.99, both only to buy.

I get the argument that it's cheaper than going to the movies, but I really don't want to buy a film.

Is this something that is relatively new because of studios struggling during lockdown?

I love moves, but there are so many great series out there that I'm unlikely to pay north of £10 for one when there is always great stuff avilable

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I've wanted to watch Operation Mincemeat for a while now and it's been out about a year, but it's still not available to rent on Amazon, I'd have to buy it for £13.99, which is never going to happen. I'd pay a fiver, but no more.

Sky are running a deal at the moment to get free movies for 30 days so we decided to do it.

The Banshees of Inisherin is £11.99,  and The Batman which is £6.99, both only to buy.

I get the argument that it's cheaper than going to the movies, but I really don't want to buy a film.

Is this something that is relatively new because of studios struggling during lockdown?

I love moves, but there are so many great series out there that I'm unlikely to pay north of £10 for one when there is always great stuff avilable

just before dawn fire GIF
200.gif

Edited by Boycie
??

17 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Just a guess... Movie studios are trying to drive pervious renters to become subscribers to their own streaming services. They all have one nowadays.

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Just a guess... Movie studios are trying to drive pervious renters to become subscribers to their own streaming services. They all have one nowadays.

I didn't know that. So are you saying that a video that you can only buy on Prime is available on another streaming service?

I searched for the 3 films I mentioned and nothing came back other than Prime and stuff that went via Prime like Paramount and the cost was all the same.

19 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Surprisingly, Banshees is still showing in theatres. Mincemeat has been a success for Netflix so they'll rinse the teeth out of it prior to wider release. Not sure you'll be terribly enamoured with The Batman. Frustrating when you're looking forward to seeing them, but the first two will reward your patience. 

43 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Surprisingly, Banshees is still showing in theatres. Mincemeat has been a success for Netflix so they'll rinse the teeth out of it prior to wider release. Not sure you'll be terribly enamoured with The Batman. Frustrating when you're looking forward to seeing them, but the first two will reward your patience. 

Mincemeat was on Prime for a long time, I didn't know it had been on Netflix?

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Mincemeat was on Prime for a long time, I didn't know it had been on Netflix?

Think they are the distributor buddy. Could be wrong mind. 

EDIT - apologies mate, just checked and got that completely wrong. Sorry for the bum steer.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I didn't know that. So are you saying that a video that you can only buy on Prime is available on another streaming service?

I searched for the 3 films I mentioned and nothing came back other than Prime and stuff that went via Prime like Paramount and the cost was all the same.

As I say, just a guess... but for example, Disney own Fox, LucasFilm and Marvel so their stuff is on Disney+, Amazon own MGM, Paramount obviously have their own streaming service. Warner Bros have HBO Max which I think is available as a top-up subscription on Amazon Prime in the UK.  Univesal have Peacock.

Looks like operation Mincemeat is a Warner movie, so should end up on HBO Max eventually.

Edited by therealhantsram

22 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Must say, I’m a little confused.

You would be happy to rent for no more than a fiver, yet Batman is £6.99 to buy, £2 more to own is a no brainer isn’t it?

Operation Mincemeat is £6.99 on DVD from Amazon brand new, or even buy it second hand for a fiver at CEX

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=5051892235747&categoryName=dvd-movies&superCatName=film-tv&title=operation-mincemeat-(12)-2021&referredFrom=boxsearch&queryID=c1ef83790c78c0a33f210a0f0e0a458d&position=1

Sell it back to them after and you will get £1.20 back. 

20 minutes ago, David said:

Must say, I’m a little confused.

You would be happy to rent for no more than a fiver, yet Batman is £6.99 to buy, £2 more to own is a no brainer isn’t it?

Operation Mincemeat is £6.99 on DVD from Amazon brand new, or even buy it second hand for a fiver at CEX

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=5051892235747&categoryName=dvd-movies&superCatName=film-tv&title=operation-mincemeat-(12)-2021&referredFrom=boxsearch&queryID=c1ef83790c78c0a33f210a0f0e0a458d&position=1

Sell it back to them after and you will get £1.20 back. 

It's only a no brainer if I'd ever want to watch cubit again, which I wouldn't. 

And I don't own a dvd player, it's not 2006 you know ?

Mincemeat is just ok not particularly memorable so going for a free trial of sky cinema is the most cost effective 

banshees of inisherin by contrast is excellent and is on Disney plus no free trial any longer unfortunately but 7.99 per month or 79.90 if you subscribe for 1 year. So a bit cheaper than buying or renting if you cancel after one month. Tbh the general content on Disney plus is good and Apple TV has also got a lot better over the last couple of years. sky have recently been offering six months free Apple TV which I think may still be available