How things have changed

Jimbo Ram

I watched the Big Match Revisited today. The big game was Arsenal v Liverpool. They showed the teams coming out and I could name all of the players, from over 40 years ago (1979). If that game was played today I would struggle to name half of them. I was thinking about why that is ?. Maybe something to do with squad sizes, much bigger now. Perhaps I have lost a bit of interest due to it all being down to money now, the focus on the Champions League, the fact that the FA Cup has become devalued? Anyone else look back to the 70s with rose tinted spectacles and think football was better back then ?

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I watched the Big Match Revisited today. The big game was Arsenal v Liverpool. They showed the teams coming out and I could name all of the players, from over 40 years ago (1979). If that game was played today I would struggle to name half of them. I was thinking about why that is ?. Maybe something to do with squad sizes, much bigger now. Perhaps I have lost a bit of interest due to it all being down to money now, the focus on the Champions League, the fact that the FA Cup has become devalued? Anyone else look back to the 70s with rose tinted spectacles and think football was better back then ?

Perhaps also to do with where Derby were then? ? #COYR