Gardening (novice level)

Mostyn6

@Mostyn6I don't suppose you watch Gardeners' World, and it's hard to recommend because it is mainly a snob fest, but due to the pandemic they've been forced to show little homemade videos from 'normal' people's gardens.  These are the best bit of the show, a lot are total novices and you might find a bit of inspiration from them.  By far the best gardening show on TV for new gardeners is BBC Scotland's Beechgrove, available on iPlayer.  I can recommend this, it is a charming simple programme, like stepping back into 1980s TV (although they do occasionally do some extremely cringing segments, you have been warned).

Lots and lots of gardening books, some especially about container gardening.  Most can be picked up secondhand in near perfect condition on eBay for a few quid.  

I would buy some shrubs which come back every year. Expensive at first but rewarding over the years. Plan so you have shrubs which come out at different times (Spring flowering, summer flowering etc).

Then you can use any additional space to plant annuals, which will produce flowers for a few months in vibrant colours. Some plain stuff too like cineraria silverdust for contrast.

Enjoy! I didn’t start gardening til I got to about 40 and whilst not an expert, I love the feeling of producing something nice to look at and which helps the environment.

• 4 weeks later...

Some one replied to you to watch gardeners world,on BBC 2 on a friday night,very good advice,the presenter Monty Don gives very good advice,anbd as the person who recomended it to you was also right in that they show videos of other small gardens,on one of these videos they showed a moisture meter which when put into a plant pot,or garden gives you a reading telling if to water or not.

If you go to a good garden centre any of the staff will be able to advice.

Good luck,you will soon be "a green fingerred gardenner"

2 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Some one replied to you to watch gardeners world,on BBC 2 on a friday night,very good advice,the presenter Monty Don gives very good advice,anbd as the person who recomended it to you was also right in that they show videos of other small gardens,on one of these videos they showed a moisture meter which when put into a plant pot,or garden gives you a reading telling if to water or not.

If you go to a good garden centre any of the staff will be able to advice.

Good luck,you will soon be "a green fingerred gardenner"

If you are a keen cook try planting herbs,at the moment I am planting out chillies.

Not sure about anywhere else but hanging baskets of flowers are not cheap around here. You can get empty baskets from Tesco for less than a fiver. Fill with compost and put in some 'trailing' flower seeds (Wilkinsons). Mine are sprouting just fine. Growing tomato plants from seeds. Lots of them this year, hoping May won't be cold. Strawberry plants put out runners...pot them for additional plants following year.