70pc increase in baiting your clicks

Day

Regional journalists will be expected to generate increases of up to 70pc in online page views on their stories by the end of 2022 under new targets being set by their publisher.

https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2022/news/publisher-launches-new-minimum-page-view-targets-for-reporters/

This is from Reach PLC who own regional websites including Derbyshire Live.

Brace yourself.

1 hour ago, David said:

Regional journalists will be expected to generate increases of up to 70pc in online page views on their stories by the end of 2022 under new targets being set by their publisher.

https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2022/news/publisher-launches-new-minimum-page-view-targets-for-reporters/

This is from Reach PLC who own regional websites including Derbyshire Live.

Brace yourself.

They might have more luck if their website wasn't a complete mess of endless adverts and annoying pop ups. And I generally avoid sites that have click bait headlines like "You won't believe what Wayne Rooney had to say about one of his players", or "Rooney makes shock announcement - the football world is left stunned!". Any more of that rubbish is likely to drive clicks away, not increase them.

48 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

And somehow people still hate The Athletic.

I've not always been a fan of the authors The Athletic employs tbh which has traditionally been my issue with it. I did give it a go and would have been more than happy to pay for it as it's certainly a bargain but in the end, I reasoned I just didn't have enough time to really read much of it. I think the state of local journalism is a real issue that needs to be addressed as a matter of utmost concern tbh. 

23 minutes ago, David said:

They hate it because they have to pay for it.

Comes down to the mentality of people wanting everything free and advert free on the internet. 

10 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I've not always been a fan of the authors The Athletic employs tbh which has traditionally been my issue with it. I did give it a go and would have been more than happy to pay for it as it's certainly a bargain but in the end, I reasoned I just didn't have enough time to really read much of it. I think the state of local journalism is a real issue that needs to be addressed as a matter of utmost concern tbh. 

I think not being a fan of the contributors is a perfectly legitimate criticism. What I don't understand is why people seem personally offended by articles being behind a paywall. What do they think The Athletic is, a charity?

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think not being a fan of the contributors is a perfectly legitimate criticism. What I don't understand is why people seem personally offended by articles being behind a paywall. What do they think The Athletic is, a charity?

Oh, I've never seen that. Yeah, that's surprising given almost everything is behind a paywall nowadays since the advertising model in exchange for free content for funding hasn't worked in reality. Like you said they're not a charity, they've got to at the least break even so they'll be needing people to pay for content. I think it's really good they do free podcasts that people can tune into and I'm unsure how people can complain at it being £1 a month subscription...