Life is politics, life is complicated

Bob The Badger

6 hours ago, David said:

The no politics rule was reactive, not proactive. Let's be clear about that.

Reactive to the same small number of members that were arguing and reporting posts on a daily basis.

I suspect the same small number of members will move from the Covid topic into the Russia/Ukraine topic.

I'm all for having a topic, however on the understanding that there is an automatic 7 day post restriction put in place for the every insulting/abusive post towards another member on this forum.

If you pick up 2x 7 day restrictions in under 60 days it moves to a 30 day restriction.

You post in the topic fully understanding the consequences, and any questioning of moderation is done privately.

We can have a warning above the topic to serve as a reminder.

I don't like having restrictions on any topics that can be discussed, at the same time I hate having moderators spending their days trying to moderate squabbles outside of the main purpose of this forum.

This forum was built as a response to the abusive atmosphere on the DET forum, our off topic section was a fun, light hearted distraction from the football.

As the community has grown, things have changed, there is a demand for more serious subjects, I'm not against that, however I am adamant that this will not be a free for all to become abusive.

Currently on holiday, will let the moderators who I haven't spoken to yet also sign off on this, as they are the ones who also have to run the forum.

If the majority say yes on the above, a topic will be opened by a moderator. Until then, can I ask you to respect the rules currently in place. I will link this in the moderators room and group chat in the hope a decision can be made imminently....a lot sooner than 48hrs.

I always thought that England was a country of free speech,seems I was wrong

6 hours ago, David said:

The no politics rule was reactive, not proactive. Let's be clear about that.

Reactive to the same small number of members that were arguing and reporting posts on a daily basis.

If this is the case, people only have themselves to blame. Why report posts? It's just words. Either move on or if you really must, use the ignore feature. People who report posts are the equivalent of the spods who would run crying to the teacher every two minutes. You do realise that if you've pressured someone to the point where they start insulting you or swearing at you, then you're almost certainly winning the argument. Why would you want their delicious tears deleted?

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

That’s half the problem with these sort of topics.  People have set views and set opinions of others views and don’t bother actually reading posts properly before diving in with their own set views.

For what it’s worth I think people have set views and set opinions of others views and don’t bother actually reading posts properly before diving in with their own set views. That’s half the problem with these sort of topics.

6 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

For what it’s worth I think people have set views and set opinions of others views and don’t bother actually reading posts properly before diving in with their own set views. That’s half the problem with these sort of topics.

No it’s not!!!! now let me tell you what I think on it……….

50 minutes ago, Anon said:

If this is the case, people only have themselves to blame. Why report posts? It's just words. Either move on or if you really must, use the ignore feature. People who report posts are the equivalent of the spods who would run crying to the teacher every two minutes. You do realise that if you've pressured someone to the point where they start insulting you or swearing at you, then you're almost certainly winning the argument. Why would you want their delicious tears deleted?

I'm going to report you for that.