Derbyshire CCC - Mickey Arthur Appointed

Mihangel

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

Shame about Wagstaff losing his wicket in the last over. He and Madsen batted really well and deserved to take the partnership into the next day.

I thought Came and Guest's dismissals lbw were extremely generous decisions by Umpire Baldwin, who denied Derbyshire some good shouts when Middlesex were batting.

Looking back at them, Came looks unfortunate, hit him high on the thigh getting forward. Guest also hit him high but he was very deep in his crease which probably did for him….hopefully evens up with Madsen getting a let off (if he needs one).

2 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Looking back at them, Came looks unfortunate, hit him high on the thigh getting forward. Guest also hit him high but he was very deep in his crease which probably did for him….hopefully evens up with Madsen getting a let off (if he needs one).

I think even the umpires got fed up with Middlesex's incessant appealing. The only thing that calmed them down was some wag in the crowd shouting "stop begging!" 

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think even the umpires got fed up with Middlesex's incessant appealing. The only thing that calmed them down was some wag in the crowd shouting "stop begging!" 

The number of times everyone behind the stumps was running around celebrating while the bowler just turned around and walked back to his mark was quite amusing.

31 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

It seems at the members forum last night, Mickey Arthur was telling members to “sit down and shut up” when asked about the poor batting this season. And told people not to bother coming if they don't like it. 🤦‍♂️

That’s helpful, so pleased our great club is in such safe hands 🤣

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

That’s helpful, so pleased our great club is in such safe hands 🤣

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse.

All we need now is for Wayne Madsen to say he's had enough and his contract is being cancelled so he can finish his career at Notts…

21 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Lloyd pulls a short ball to cover and is out for 10. Terrible shot. Not what you need from the captain in this game situation at all.

It’s a shambles. Not really sure there is much more we can say.

I don't want to see Donald play any more red ball for us. I'll admit that I have a strong bias against players of his style, but he offers nothing. I understand the importance of a power hitter in short form, but the odd 20 or 30 at a run a ball is worthless for anything other than making his average look reasonable in first class cricket.

Is there a single domestic Arthur signing , other than Chappell, you'd say has improved us? I appreciate we're limited regarding funds, so none of these guys have broken the bank, but they're blocking the pathway for our own young talent and their performances don't justify it.

Edited by Anon

4 minutes ago, Anon said:

I don't want to see Donald play any more red ball for us. I'll admit that I have a strong bias against players of his style, but he offers nothing. I understand the importance of a power hitter in short form, but the odd 20 or 30 at a run a ball is worthless for anything other than making his average look reasonable in first class cricket.

Is there a single domestic Arthur signing , other than Chappell, you'd say has improved us? I appreciate we're limited regarding funds, so none of these guys have broken the bank, but they're blocking the pathway for our own young talent and their performances don't justify it.

I wouldn't go as far as never again, but I've said before I don't think he's a genuine top order batter in red ball cricket. There’s been too many soft dismissals, though not in this game, he has to show more aptitude to be red ball player.

In red ball cricket, I don't think so. We've signed a lot of players who’s best format is T20, some with the lure of red ball opportunities that weren't there at other counties. That’s ok if you are successful in the T20…which we haven't been.

28 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

I wouldn't go as far as never again, but I've said before I don't think he's a genuine top order batter in red ball cricket. There’s been too many soft dismissals, though not in this game, he has to show more aptitude to be red ball player.

In red ball cricket, I don't think so. We've signed a lot of players who’s best format is T20, some with the lure of red ball opportunities that weren't there at other counties. That’s ok if you are successful in the T20…which we haven't been.

I don't disagree with all the signings. Taking a punt on Pat Brown to play more red ball cricket could've been a masterstroke. If Lamb had managed to overcome his injury issues, we'd have got a solid cricketer. We just desperately need a few more of these speculative signings to actually land.

50 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

So after finally getting that first win, we've failed to make 200 runs in the next 4 innings.

Grim.

I forgot about the complete thrashing by Sussex that came after Glamorgan. We did manage 200 both innings while being beaten by an innings….