Derby vs. Tottenham, 20th January 1991

sawley_ram

Just stumbled across the whole game on YouTube, not sure how many else have found it on there but it was a great watch. I only found clicked on it as it was the game played closest to the day I was born.

What struck me while watching it were the comments from the late, great Brian Clough. During pre-match he talks about how being at Derby were the happiest days of his managerial career, and after the game he talked about sitting with the Spurs fans and that they had enjoyed a great game of football "despite the fact that I'm a Derby man" -- all said why manager of Forest..! Also quite topical as Maxwell had at the time turned down a bid of £3 million for us (only about £6.5 mil today).

I'm sure a few have seen this, but now the nights are drawing in and Strictly's back on the box it's a good getaway game.

Edited by sawley_ram

On 29/10/2021 at 06:59, S8TY said:

Also what good signings Gary Micklewhite and Geraint Williams were and we didn't overpay from QPR and Bristol Rovers respectively unless I'm mistaken.

I seem to remember figures of around £70k for Micklewhite and £45k for George - paid for by the fee we received for Kevin Wilson. 

Those were the days eh? 

35 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Still don't get how that team got relegated. Shilton, Wright and Saunders. Plus Harford, George Williams and Micklewhite. Maybe the defence was a bit shaky Wright needed a partner and Harford was often injured.

Under-investment in the squad by Maxwell iirc. We sold Goddard and Callaghan, never really found a good enough partner for Wright, Shilton was losing his agility and the players coming through the youth team were either a couple of years short of experience (Paul Williams) or not quite good enough.