This Weekend or Next Weekend

Stive Pesley

When Saturday Comes  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It's definitely THIS weekend - what sort of nonsense poll is this?

I've never met a single person that would refer to it as "next weekend". I'm astonished that the percentage of people who apparently do is so high. It makes no sense. Why would anyone use "this weekend" to refer to a date in the past? Presumably "last weekend" means two weekends ago to these maniacs.

For me, the clue is in the semantics of the word weekend - it literally means the end of the week

so "next week" and "next week-end" are analogous. "Next week" and "the end of next week"

and the same goes for "this week" and "this week-end"

You wouldn't say "next week" if you were referring to the current week - makes no sense. It's clear to everyone what "next week" means, so why would "next weekend" mean the end of THIS current week?

The mistake being made is people using the word "next" literally - this weekend is obviously the next weekend that will occur, but it ignores the meaning of the word weekend, and so "next weekend" becomes a grammatical paradox

Hopefully that's settled it and we can move on to the more burning issue of why the French say "Le Weekend"

Why is the weekend a man?

4 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

For me, the clue is in the semantics of the word weekend - it literally means the end of the week

so "next week" and "next week-end" are analogous. "Next week" and "the end of next week"

and the same goes for "this week" and "this week-end"

You wouldn't say "next week" if you were referring to the current week - makes no sense. It's clear to everyone what "next week" means, so why would "next weekend" mean the end of THIS current week?

The mistake being made is people using the word "next" literally - this weekend is obviously the next weekend that will occur, but it ignores the meaning of the word weekend, and so "next weekend" becomes a grammatical paradox

Hopefully that's settled it and we can move on to the more burning issue of why the French say "Le Weekend"

Why is the weekend a man?

For me, this highlights that YouGov like all polling organizations should be viewed with a very large pinch of salt. Your own poll (at the time of writing) is rather definitive (21-0)!