Rubbish

Day

Let's face it, it is young "adults" doing 90% of it. Their lack of respect is frightening. To say they're apparently the generation who are going to save the planet, they're doing a good job creating a mess in public spaces.

Like David pointed out, when I used to sit in the park in the evenings with my mates having beers, we'd take all the cans home and try and hide them at the bottom of the parents bin. All this guff about "feeling free". You've got so much tech to keep in touch with friends nowadays. Granted, human interaction will never be replaced by screens, these muppets are going on like they've bunkered down in a hole for months. 

I've had a word with a younger sibling posting pictures on social media partying with a big group of people, seems like they can't even take a bit of honesty without getting upset. My folks must have got soft with her because they absolutely gave me hell if I was being a disrespectful bugger. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Litter is litter. Why is a beer can any worse as litter than a crisp or fag packet? Your point of view would stand up if it wasnt for the fact i can remember litter bins scattered everywhere when i was a child. Similarly, there aren’t enough public toilets nowadays too. 

I think you are missing my point. If my council tax is paying for the maintenance and upkeep of public parks, I should be able to enjoy those parks in a manner i see fit. Whether it be a picnic, a game rounders or walking a friend’s dog, and anything legal in between! By removing litter bins, and yes, they have been removed! You’re not providing simpletons the option of keeping the place free of litter. 

With due respect (and I am not sure any is due!) you are being completely out of order!! If you brought items into a public space, and there are no receptacles to dispose of them into. TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME. What is it with society wanting everything provided for them. Your lack of common decency astounds me!!!!

45 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

If my council tax is paying for the maintenance and upkeep of public parks, I should be able to enjoy those parks in a manner i see fit. Whether it be a picnic, a game rounders or walking a friend’s dog, and anything legal in between!

Just checking the date before I reply...?

27 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Litter is litter. Why is a beer can any worse as litter than a crisp or fag packet? Your point of view would stand up if it wasnt for the fact i can remember litter bins scattered everywhere when i was a child. Similarly, there aren’t enough public toilets nowadays too. 

I think you are missing my point. If my council tax is paying for the maintenance and upkeep of public parks, I should be able to enjoy those parks in a manner i see fit. Whether it be a picnic, a game rounders or walking a friend’s dog, and anything legal in between! By removing litter bins, and yes, they have been removed! You’re not providing simpletons the option of keeping the place free of litter. 

"A beer can" is no worse than a crisp or fag packet.  Totally agree with you there.

You seem to be suggesting (apologies if I've misinterpreted?) that these "simpletons" would have used the bins, had enough been provided, and that the deployment of staff and lorries to clear up the mess wouldn't have subsequently been required?  Based on what we witnessed last summer, throughout our parks, villages, lay-by's and beaches, I'd respectfully suggest otherwise.

...And if there were enough litter bins to have coped, then the next question would have been "Why should a payer of council tax be paying for commercial levels of litter bins/skips, on all our parks, when for 364 days a year, one bog standard litter bin by each of the park's gates would suffice?"

Of course, generally speaking, I totally agree with your viewpoint... that there aren't enough litter bins... and public toilets... these days. 
But I'm not convinced that's the point of this particular thread.  I was under the impression it was more aimed at the unacceptable levels of litter left lying strewn all over the park(s).

Regardless of viewpoints on the numbers of litter bins nowadays provided, rule number 1 in "The Common Decency Legislation Act 1949"* is "Where no appropriate litter bins can be found, all disposable litter should be carried upon one's person until such time as appropriate disposal can be made, be that within 50 yards, twelve street corners, or all the way home".

(For reference, Rule No2 is "Always close rural gates behind you", and rule 3 is "Never vomit on a stranger's shoes, if they are taller than 5'10" and/or heavier than 13st".

*I made that up... the rest is FACT!  ;-)  

1 hour ago, Hathersage Ram said:

With due respect (and I am not sure any is due!) you are being completely out of order!! If you brought items into a public space, and there are no receptacles to dispose of them into. TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME. What is it with society wanting everything provided for them. Your lack of common decency astounds me!!!!

Hold off on the faux outrage. I don’t litter, aside of flinging the odd bag of dog poo into a hedge after ten minutes carrying it, that is. 

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Hold off on the faux outrage. I don’t litter, aside of flinging the odd bag of dog poo into a hedge after ten minutes carrying it, that is. 

You are a complete idiot if you think this is FAUX OUTRAGE. Even your attempts at humour are off key, and do I believe you, I think even a simpleton's brain could decide that

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Why should a payer of council tax carry a bag of dogshit home? 

Because chucking it in the hedge or leaving it on the pavement is disgusting. If you go dog walking in the countryside you can walk 5 miles without seeing a litter bin, no excuse not to hang on to the bag. If you don't like the idea of holding a bag of crap for an extended period of time, consider that before getting a dog.

There probably should be more bins (round my way there seems enough  - maybe contact the local council and request some specific locations - or if bins have been removed, ask why and if they can be reinstated.  You might get a beaurocratic reply about cost saving measures, but worth a go) but having to carry litter home is a small enough act of decency.

The Singaporean attitude to littering would be my stance.

I always remember my grandad physically forcing a "youth" to pick up a can he'd dropped in Burton town centre when I was 8 or 9 years old. He got a round of applause off several bystanders, and quite right too.

Doesn't help with the disposal aspect of poo bags, but imagine a poo bag dispenser with... get this... a separate compartment for some little treaty-wheaties for you beloved poochy-woochie!  

Imagine adding your own carabiner of choice, and hanging freely from your belt loop, button hole, or even from the doggie-woggie's leady-wheady itself.  Treat your best friend, each and every time it poos... or whenever you dog lovers feel the need to treat them!  Let's be honest... The possibilities are endless!

Imagine a multitude of patterns and colourways to choose from. Imagine the finest quality materials, and the most exquisite and highly reviewed craftswomanship. 
And imagine her being the devoted and beautiful wife of a lifelong Derby County Supporter, and long time Season Ticket Holder.

Imagine a world where forums such as this allow blatant advertising!  Imagine PM'ing a fellow poster for the link to purchase such treasures... and more! 

Well... imagine no more... 

il_794xN.2379796263_677b.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Doesn't help with the disposal aspect of poo bags, but imagine a poo bag dispenser with... get this... a separate compartment for some little treaty-wheaties for you beloved poochy-woochie!  

Imagine adding your own carabiner of choice, and hanging freely from your belt loop, button hole, or even from the doggie-woggie's leady-wheady itself.  Treat your best friend, each and every time it poos... or whenever you dog lovers feel the need to treat them!  Let's be honest... The possibilities are endless!

Imagine a multitude of patterns and colourways to choose from. Imagine the finest quality materials, and the most exquisite and highly reviewed craftswomanship. 
And imagine her being the devoted and beautiful wife of a lifelong Derby County Supporter, and long time Season Ticket Holder.

Imagine a world where forums such as this allow blatant advertising!  Imagine PM'ing a fellow poster for the link to purchase such treasures... and more! 

Well... imagine no more... 

il_794xN.2379796263_677b.jpg

I'll slide in to your DM's if you can get your devoted lifelong Derby County supporter of a wife to make a Derby County printed one of these.

25 minutes ago, David said:

I'll slide in to your DM's if you can get your devoted lifelong Derby County supporter of a wife to make a Derby County printed one of these.

I suspect getting a rugged enough weatherproof fabric with a suitably scaled Rams pattern on it may prove difficult?  I think there's a bit more to it than cutting up a DCFC towel or duvet cover!

Don't want to be left with just the eye showing!   ?

I'll certainly mention it to her later.  Leave it with us!   ?

1 minute ago, ColonelBlimp said:

The thought of picking up warm dog poo in a thin plastic bag turns my stomach 

One of the many reasons I'll never get a dog.

Dogs become your babies, after the first few you just get on with it and don’t think about it too much. Turns my stomach the thought of picking up another dogs poo though.

27 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

He’s actually just sniffing here, but if he pooed, I’d flick it into the shrubbery for wildlife to feast on, as nature intended. 215B9146-B9F7-40ED-A6F2-1BE9678008B6.thumb.jpeg.d3778b580f6a42177cf36e8b7ccef368.jpeg

That's actually a good point well made (I think!).

I seem to remember we once stayed at a campsite that... as many do... had a dedicated "dog walk".

Despite not being dog owners, we took a stroll around this particular walk one evening... meandering around the complete camp site perimeter, set amongst long grasses, wild flowers/trees/shrubs etc, but with an almost manicured strip, a good 1.5m or so wide, and regularly mowed to define the actual path.  Approximately every 30 metres or so, there was a designated "Doggy Post", upon which hung a small steel shovel/Large trowel, and a sign requesting that the path be kept clear, by scooping the poop into the less manicured surroundings (my words, not theirs!).

Certainly one of the more acceptable and attractive camp site dog walks we've found ourselves promenading along, hand in hand, on a balmy summers eve.  :-)

Archived