Rubbish

David

What is it with this country? 

I'm sure you've seen the images/videos from Hyde Park and Endcliffe Park this morning, we've had similar up here albeit it on a much smaller scale in a couple of locations.

Is it some sort of protest over the lockdown that I'm not getting?

What I'm struggling with is the idea that as some of them started to depart, they must have seen others leave the rubbish and rather than think that's out of order, they followed, the next party followed and so on. 

Not sure if this has been discussed today in the covid topic, so apologies if it has, but if these are the scenes after 1 day in the sun with partial restrictions lifted, what's going to happen on the 12th and then later when they are fully lifted in June is it?

You could argue the local councils should have planned ahead for this, placed large Biffa bins all around the parks, but then they would have been accused of encouraging mass gatherings at the locations, and to be fair, would it have even made much difference? Looking at the state of the parks, you don't get the impression any of them would have been bothered to walk 15 yards to a bin anyway.

Really starting to feel my age now, as even when we were kids bunking off school and downing cans of carling we didn't leave rubbish behind like that. Madness.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, David said:

I'm sure you've seen the images/videos from Hyde Park and Endcliffe Park this morning, we've had similar up here albeit it on a much smaller scale in a couple of locations.

What I'm struggling with is the idea that as some of them started to depart, they must have seen others leave the rubbish and rather than think that's out of order, they followed, the next party followed and so on. 

Not sure if this has been discussed today in the covid topic, so apologies if it has, but if these are the scenes after 1 day in the sun with partial restrictions lifted, what's going to happen on the 12th and then later when they are fully lifted in June is it?

You could argue the local councils should have planned ahead for this, placed large Biffa bins all around the parks, but then they would have been accused of encouraging mass gatherings at the locations, and to be fair, would it have even made much difference? Looking at the state of the parks, you don't get the impression any of them would have been bothered to walk 15 yards to a bin anyway.

Really starting to feel my age now, as even when we were kids bunking off school and downing cans of carling we didn't leave rubbish behind like that. Madness.

Well said,time we started punishing people for littering our green and pleasant land,lock the buggers in stocks and let us throw their litter back at them.

42 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Well said,time we started punishing people for littering our green and pleasant land,lock the buggers in stocks and let us throw their litter back at them.

And if they do it again make them live in Cleethorpes.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

And if they do it again make them live in Cleethorpes.

Even worse, send them back in time to Belper, lets see how they get on with washing their clothes in a mangle and steam engine routers for internet

2 hours ago, David said:

Was talking about this today.  In the space of a ten minute walk I spotted a dog poo bag, a container of half eaten chicken tikka someone has thrown on the pavement, 3 plastic sandwich cartons,  at least  15 assorted sweet bag wrappers, cans of lager and plastic bottles liberally scattered in hedges, at least 3 old facemasks and a 2 litre bottle of what had been R whites lemonade on my lawn .

Regarding what will happen on the 12th- last summer people were crapping in burger boxes or sand dunes and wiping there arses on the facemasks they were handing out on Perranporth beach so I already know.

The are a huge of amount of filthy people in this country with no regard for the basics and it gets worse year on year.

It's not just England.  Volunteers are working all day long cleaning up rubbish from folks wanting to see the volcanic eruption up close.  We have music festivals in mid summer and the areas look like battlefields after.

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Why should a payer of council tax carry a bag of dogshit home? 

Instead of leaving it in the doggy poo bin? If the bin is full, are you suggesting just leaving it on the ground somewhere?

Somewhere where those of us who also pay council tax but don't have dogs may step on it?

10 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Instead of leaving it in the doggy poo bin? If the bin is full, are you suggesting just leaving it on the ground somewhere?

Somewhere where those of us who also pay council tax but don't have dogs may step on it?

Where’s the dog poo bin? 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Have you seen public litter bins anywhere? 

Public litter bins are provided for those small handfuls of litter we occasionally find ourselves lumbered with... the odd crisp packet, tissue, sweet wrapper, single empty water bottles etc.  Not for commercial volumes of empty beer cans, and the masses of packaging that accompany them.  That's what skips are for!  

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Why should a payer of council tax carry a bag of dogshit home? 

I think the question should be "Why should a payer of council tax pay for lorry loads of empty beer cans and takeaway cartons to be removed from an otherwise uncluttered open/public green space?"

Those caught littering should be given 100 hours community service picking up litter.

Amazing that we’ve had a year in which humans (due to circumstances outside of their control) have been kind to the planet. As soon as freedoms are restored, they set about ruining it again.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Public litter bins are provided for those small handfuls of litter we occasionally find ourselves lumbered with... the odd crisp packet, tissue, sweet wrapper, single empty water bottles etc.  Not for commercial volumes of empty beer cans, and the masses of packaging that accompany them.  That's what skips are for!  

I think the question should be "Why should a payer of council tax pay for lorry loads of empty beer cans and takeaway cartons to be removed from an otherwise uncluttered open/public green space?"

Litter is litter. Why is a beer can any worse as litter than a crisp or fag packet? Your point of view would stand up if it wasnt for the fact i can remember litter bins scattered everywhere when i was a child. Similarly, there aren’t enough public toilets nowadays too. 

I think you are missing my point. If my council tax is paying for the maintenance and upkeep of public parks, I should be able to enjoy those parks in a manner i see fit. Whether it be a picnic, a game rounders or walking a friend’s dog, and anything legal in between! By removing litter bins, and yes, they have been removed! You’re not providing simpletons the option of keeping the place free of litter. 

Archived