Play off Final

Seaside Ram

11 hours ago, Anon said:

I agree with this. Villa specifically targeted Cole with El Mohamady constantly on the overlap. Bradley Johnson ended up playing almost as a second left back due to the number of times he had to provide cover down that flank. I'm not having a go at Cole here. He did well, but it's tough at 38 to perform at that level.

It just seemed like a game too far for all our players though. We were a yard slower than Villa all over the park and they ran us ragged. The first goal had been coming.

I haven't watched any of the game back, and I don't really intend to until our next Play Off final, but I seem to remember (and I had a very good view) Bogle being at fault for the first goal. I don't know whether Cole could have blocked the cross, but I believe Bogle let El Ghazi sneak in at the back post.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, peachmyster said:

Starting mason Bennett cost us the game 

Water under the bridge and all that.  He should have changed the shape at half time.  I was absolutely certain we would see waggy and jack then just to change everything we might have gone on to lose 03 who knows?

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I haven't watched any of the game back, and I don't really intend to until our next Play Off final, but I seem to remember (and I had a very good view) Bogle being at fault for the first goal. I don't know whether Cole could have blocked the cross, but I believe Bogle let El Ghazi sneak in at the back post.

I was on that side of the pitch for the cross, it was a well worked goal. Lots of players at minor fault but that’s the game.

Awful mistake by Roos in the Villa match. Many blaming Lampard's selection but the fact Marriott came on and scores for me vindicates it. He was brought on to score and did like in other matches. Gifting that header really hurt us. Also, Mings 'injury' and time wasting as another poster alluded to really killed our momentum. I thought the atmosphere in the Derby end was disappointing during the match.

Agree that the atmosphere was poor in our end. Disappointing as it was electric going up Wembley Way from the tube station before the game. As soon as I got in the ground, it never really got going and Villa completely out sung us. The only consolation was they did not rub our noses in it afterwards like QPR's fans did. Great day up until 3pm.

12 hours ago, angieram said:

Biggest problem though were Villa were better on the day and wanted it more than us. I think we were pleased just to have got there.

I wish Villa had pissed Frank off beforehand just like Leeds had done,  he might have got us a bit more fired up! 

Definite truth in this & think it applied to not just the players but the fans as well. We expended so much emotional energy at Leeds that the playoff final almost felt like an anti-climax. Whilst the post match celebrations on the pitch at Leeds were justified, I dont think the beers after were & Lampard probably made an error not calming it all down...we still had a job to do a few days later. For whats its worth I dont think Marriott starting would have changed much, the malaise was across the whole team.

Thought the fans were pretty ordinary at Wembley too. Our end was constantly outsung by Villa, even at 0-0 & a lot of our lot came across as happy daytrippers. On the other extreme, there were also a lot of seriously leathered folk around me who were barely engaged with the match other than the last 10 mins. Very different to the atmosphere in 2014. 

20 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Agree that the atmosphere was poor in our end. Disappointing as it was electric going up Wembley Way from the tube station before the game. As soon as I got in the ground, it never really got going and Villa completely out sung us. The only consolation was they did not rub our noses in it afterwards like QPR's fans did. Great day up until 3pm.

What I couldn’t really cope with was the number of 4 generation families attending including toddlers for the trip to london.  Don’t get me wrong everybody is entitled to attend but the ‘ boisterous’ ones were few and far between families on a day out.  I recall @DarkFruitsRam7being particularly upset it’s the fans performance.  In hindsight I have to agree.

48 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

I thought the atmosphere in the Derby end was disappointing during the match.

17 minutes ago, Spanish said:

What I couldn’t really cope with was the number of 4 generation families attending including toddlers for the trip to london.  Don’t get me wrong everybody is entitled to attend but the ‘ boisterous’ ones were few and far between families on a day out.  I recall @DarkFruitsRam7being particularly upset it’s the fans performance.  In hindsight I have to agree.

image.jpeg.b365fcef0d7fa8672d240d4e77c28580.jpeg

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I was pretty much level with Bogle and it was classic ball-watching and not being aware at all of what's around you. He waited for the cross to reach him and got completely blind-sided by El Ghazi. 

22 hours ago, angieram said:

I think there were other factors involved too. Malone was a big miss to our style of play. I have never been his biggest fan but I think Ashley Cole, legend that he is, was rather static.

Biggest problem though were Villa were better on the day and wanted it more than us. I think we were pleased just to have got there.

I wish Villa had pissed Frank off beforehand just like Leeds had done,  he might have got us a bit more fired up! 

Malone not playing was total idiocy on malones part for the most pointless sending off in the semi.  The second yellow fair enough but the first was stupidity. 

Was never his biggest fan but no doubt we would have been stronger had he played. 

Archived