Play off Final

Seaside Ram

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

Did anyone else just depress themselves even more by just re watching that on sky sports ? 

How the duck  did we lose that after the Leeds game . Villa were absolute Dog poo ! 

I’m off to bed ?

Villa were the better side for the first 75 minutes and scored 2 goals. That’s how we lost.

Villa was annoying because we just didn't get into it until we were chasing the game and had a mountain to climb. In contrast we were so brave and positive at Leeds in the semi but Villa was a damp squib until we belatedly woke up and actually had a go. Strange team selections etc.

QPR however was just sickening. We absolutely should have won that.

8 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Did anyone else just depress themselves even more by just re watching that on sky sports ? 

How the duck  did we lose that after the Leeds game . Villa were absolute Dog poo ! 

I’m off to bed ?

Like many of us on this forum, I was there. I haven’t watched the whole game back since but I certainly don’t remember Villa being dog poo. Whether it was team selection, tactics or just general ability they out played us for 3/4 of the game and looked OK. Not world beaters but OK.

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

What didn't you watch back to back playoff final defeats against Villa and QPR to gain the full effect unless you had already got your dose of misery by watching one game. 

And watch the final league game of the 14-15 season too for pure dejection. Needing a point at home to secure 6th place but losing and finishing 8th and sacking Mac1

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Like many of us on this forum, I was there. I haven’t watched the whole game back since but I certainly don’t remember Villa being dog poo. Whether it was team selection, tactics or just general ability they out played us for 3/4 of the game and looked OK. Not world beaters but OK.

Absolutely, they were easily the better team in the first half. If you were there remember the mood on the way home, after the Villa game it really was 'oh well, wasn't meant to be'. But after the QPR it was caustic, a real feeling that we had been utterly robbed - which we had, over the season.

7 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Haven't watched any of the play off defeats back, can't remember Villa being better for 75 minutes, then again I can't remember any of the 90 minutes ???

Not watched either again. But Villa were better, but then we were better than QPR until you know who! Lampard wasn't as smart as he thinks and he was never gonna start Marriott. He only got on so early against L**ds because Holmes got injured.

I think there were other factors involved too. Malone was a big miss to our style of play. I have never been his biggest fan but I think Ashley Cole, legend that he is, was rather static.

Biggest problem though were Villa were better on the day and wanted it more than us. I think we were pleased just to have got there.

I wish Villa had pissed Frank off beforehand just like Leeds had done,  he might have got us a bit more fired up! 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not watched either again. But Villa were better, but then we were better than QPR until you know who! Lampard wasn't as smart as he thinks and he was never gonna start Marriott. He only got on so early against L**ds because Holmes got injured.

Do you think the QPR loss was down to SM ?

I did watch the Leeds games and for not only the majority of the play offs but in the league as well, they were by far the better team. I remember we played, Villa a few weeks before, we got battered. Leeds crumbled, we were in the same situation as we were at Wembley, where we had nothing to lose, just came off for us.

Dont get me wrong, personally I would have started JM, but it always intrigues me why FL get the blame for the loss, but SM doesn't.

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think there were other factors involved too. Malone was a big miss to our style of play. I have never been his biggest fan but I think Ashley Cole, legend that he is, was rather static.

Biggest problem though were Villa were better on the day and wanted it more than us. I think we were pleased just to have got there.

I wish Villa had pissed Frank off beforehand just like Leeds had done,  he might have got us a bit more fired up! 

I agree with this. Villa specifically targeted Cole with El Mohamady constantly on the overlap. Bradley Johnson ended up playing almost as a second left back due to the number of times he had to provide cover down that flank. I'm not having a go at Cole here. He did well, but it's tough at 38 to perform at that level.

It just seemed like a game too far for all our players though. We were a yard slower than Villa all over the park and they ran us ragged. The first goal had been coming.

21 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Do you think the QPR loss was down to SM ?

Not really because we had more than one combination, but maybe it was down to SM. But with the team/squad we had then it seemed it wasn't going to be our only chance - tbh I never 'felt' we'd win that time, but I did think we would go up autos next season! So what the duck do I know! ? 

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not really because we had more than one combination, but maybe it was down to SM. But with the team/squad we had then it seemed it wasn't going to be our only chance - tbh I never 'felt' we'd win that time, but I did think we would go up autos next season! So what the duck do I know! ? 

Probably more than me...I will also take this opportunity to say you were right in our discussion the other day.

I incorrectly assumed that Mel would have a back up plan should the current take over fall through...

Archived